Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Hobby Shop Closing

its really to bad but at the same time its understandable

its very hard for me to drive 30 miles to my local hobby shop to buy a kit for 24.95 plus tax when i can order the same kit for 15 dollars shipped to my front door from the comfort of my living room

having said that, you just can not replace the people who work there and have all the know how

i love going there just to get some good advice and ideas so everytime i do go there i try to support them by spending some moneys

American Eagles Hobby in North Seattle will be closing is door for good around April 9th. I think they are the last haobby shop in the city of Seattle. Right now everything in the store is 10% off or more and they still have a lot of models and supplies left at this date.

My god American Eagles has been around for like 20-30 years havent they? That really sucks, sorry to hear that.

While not good news that another hobby shop is closing, it is not the 60's anymore where being a hobby shop owner was a good business. A lot of people and kids today are too busy doing other things to have a hobby such as building model kits or model railroading. Owning a hobby shop is a tough business to be in today.

I think it has always been a rather tough job. When times are lean economically, hobbies are seen as disposable income and thus, cut from the family budget. I prefer to buy from my locally owned shops. They are very reasonably priced, don't make you show a coupon to pay regular price for kits, and it is always fun browsing the shelves. I can't get the kits cheaper online and I don't have to wait for the postman (or hope it doesn't get crushed en route).

I am surprised to hear that is the last hobby shop in Seattle? We still have three (or four, two are same store, different locations) locally owned shops in Spokane (plus Hobby Lobby and Michael's, Blech!) and we have a few hundred thousand less people.

Best of luck to the owners!

I think it has always been a rather tough job. When times are lean economically, hobbies are seen as disposable income and thus, cut from the family budget. I prefer to buy from my locally owned shops. They are very reasonably priced, don't make you show a coupon to pay regular price for kits, and it is always fun browsing the shelves. I can't get the kits cheaper online and I don't have to wait for the postman (or hope it doesn't get crushed en route).

I am surprised to hear that is the last hobby shop in Seattle? We still have three (or four, two are same store, different locations) locally owned shops in Spokane (plus Hobby Lobby and Michael's, Blech!) and we have a few hundred thousand less people.

Best of luck to the owners!

I think that's the Last shop in the City limits, is what Dave is saying. There are still a few good ones in the surrounding cities. Like Renton(SKYWAY HOBBIES), Tacoma(Fantasy World), Parkland (Hobby World)..just to name a few that I know about. It is SAD to see a shop close down. The Sister store(AMERICAN EAGLES..TACOMA) Closed down here..about 3-4 yrs ago. I hated to see that one go as it was 3 minutes from my house.But...as mentioned earlier in this thread...one can go on line and get a kit alot cheaper and pay the shipping and not leave the house. I guess it's all in what a pearson wants to do...

Edited by Gary Davis

On the general map of things as regards retail type businesses, the fatality rate of hobby shops ranks right below that of restaurants and bars, and those are VERY low on the scale.

As for the longevity of hobby shops, I can't think of but a few that have remained in business much beyond the working years of their owner/managers either.

Art

I do find it interesting when these postings are made about a hobby shop closing, but there is almost never any mention to the reason why that hobby shop is closing. Was it the economy? Are the owners retiring? I guess I am fortunate to have four hobby shops within a 25 mile radius of my house so maybe I am a bit jaded. All I see or read is "Oh no, what am I going to do now?" from customers. Then sometimes I read about a hobby shop closing and the person making the posting says that they rarely visit that shop. Hmmm. I think that when this type of posting is made, how about giving us the reason why that shop is closing. It would give me a better understanding of the situation.

That is sad news. :D Back in the 90's when I lived in Bremerton, my wife and I would make a day of it going to american eagle. We would get on the ferry early in the morning with an empty backpack and then take the bus up north. After filling my pack with three or four months worth of supplies we would then go across the street to dick's for some burgers,fries and the best shake in the northwest. Go back to the waterfront full and happy. :blink: Get home in the late afternoon and start saving up for the next trip in a few months. Used to drive down to the one in Tacoma(not near as much fun). I will always have the memories though. B) Richard

Edited by oldcars

I was just thinking this week about all the hobby shops that have come and gone at a strip mall near my house in my lifetime.

I thinking three - maybe four if you count the 5&10 store that had an extensive kit selection.

Now there is a Michaels there and an ACMoore accross the parking lot. At least they publish coupons for 40-50% off weekly should I need another new kit to grock.

Edited by seeker589

• 4 years later...

I'm not sure that you all can see this and most of you will certainly not understand what is written and said in the movieclip but Hobby Shop in Trondheim (my hometown) is now in it's last year of doing business. They where a husband and wife team that had kept the shop running the since 1958 but the husband died suddenly in february and the wife no is 74 years old and is doing it all her self with a little help from their daughter. They are currently at a 50% discount on all plastic kits.

http://www.adressa.no/tv/?id=30932&autoplay=1