Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flocking powder on sale Joanns

Just thought some of you guys might be interested that Joann's has Martha Stewart brand flocking powder at 25% off($2.99) online only, also you can put in coupon code EFDX40 for 50% off one item. I just ordered one each of brown, blue, black ,red , and grey for a little over $21 shipped. Im pretty sure the bottle has little holes in the top in order to sprinkle the powder out. I have seen some pictures of models where it has been used and it looked great.

I kinda like the embossing powders a little bit more, they look more to scale because they simulate a real carpet better than the fuzzy or "hairy" kind of flocking. I used this one on my Catalina, didn't have to do anything with the color, it came just like that. On the other hand, you can also paint the embossing powder any color once dry, that's one of the bigger advantages! <_< This one I purchased at Michaels but Martha Stewart also has a line of them!

PonchoProject11013-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

PonchoProject12008-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I also used it on my Vega project....

VegaProjectInterior006-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Cruz - did you spray the embossing powder or brush it? Would it matter?

You do exactly the same thing as you would for the flocking, the difference also and one of the other aspects I like about it is that you won't see little hairs all over the place when you shake this thing, it's a lot heavier. I do water down the white glue just a bit, seems to work better for me. Don't be afraid to add a lot of glue, it will only make for a neater, more covered appearance at the end.

I prefer flocking over embossing powered having tried both recently. The flocking was a little harder to use but was way more realistic. I went to my parents to show my step dad (he used to use shredded felt back in the 60's) and the first thing out of his mouth was the black stuff (embossing powder) looks like spray on bed liner and that was my thought as I was applying it.

I will say though that the embossing powder was easier for me to use.

Edited by ra7c7er

I prefer flocking over embossing powered having tried both recently. The flocking was a little harder to use but was way more realistic. I went to my parents to show my step dad (he used to use shredded felt back in the 60's) and the first thing out of his mouth was the black stuff (embossing powder) looks like spray on bed liner and that was my thought as I was applying it.

I will say though that the embossing powder was easier for me to use.

It does look more realistic if you want some sort of a shaggy look like the custom vans of the '70's, if you look at the 1/1 carpets not only now but always, you will see they look a lot more like the first picture than the second.

heelpad_231122332_std-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

flokati_pro-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

If you look at that heel pad, it would pretty much buried under all that shaggy carpet. I do understand that I might be exagerating a bit with the shaggy carpet but, think about it; If you were to convert a flocked interior 24 or 25 times bigger, it would definitely look like that shaggy carpet. :rolleyes:

I have tried the ken"s flocking & others but it comes out fair on one kit & patchy on other. I apply the white glue & level it then strain the flocking let it set for eight hours(overnight)turn it over ( not shake)& parts of it just falls off. Now I have seen awesome results @ model shows so I know that I,m doing something wrong. So I think that I will give the embossing powder a shot & see what happens.

thanks for the info everyone, i want to try that embossing powder even though youre right, it kinda looks like bedliner (file under "when you need bedliner look...). but those photos posted here it looks very consistent which is what i always seem to lack with the fuzzy stuff. i have used gloss black paint, thinned white glue, flat color paint, and i often had the same result mentioned here: it basically falls off after it should have dried. and that is with applying it while the substrate is still wet and theoretically sticky as all get out. i usually put it in there (the interior bucket etc) through the sieve and then kinda shake it around in there to get coverage. then letting it sit for a couple hours at least.

this last time i tried it though it turned out pretty good, nice and even anyway, but it is only over a small surface.

photo is almost worthless but you can get a peek at the carpeting, detail master fur stuff. i mixed black and gray together in about a 2:1 ratio but perhaps should have made it more like 50/50, the carpet could stand to be a bit more gray:

niceinteriorshot2.jpg

i always strain it before using, in one of those tea filtering gizmos (martha probably has those too). i have also made various tools to press the fur into the substrate/adhesive and those have helped a lot. still theres always a part that isnt as well covered as another and i have never had any luck repairing sections unless i do the whole area. the thing to remember is most of it is going to be pretty difficult to see especially if its in a closed car. a little patchiness doesnt get noticed under those conditions.