Model Cars Magazine Forum

HOK Kustom Kolor Bottles - Thinners?

Hey all - I've been told that normal thinners - mineral spirits, Testors Airbrush thinner, etc. - do not work with the new House of Kolor model paints. I picked up a whole mess of them at NNL East and am anxious to try the stuff. What do you use to thin it, if not their own thinner?

Thanks!

Hey Larry this is a shot in the dark since I haven't used HOK paints............Why not try using acetone?

Acetone can be picked up cheap at your local hardware store, and it's what I use to thin and clean up Alclad paints which is pretty hot stuff. I also use it to thin acrylic enamels when needed. Lacquer thinner may work also, but it doesn't seem to "wash" as well as acetone.

It's worth a shot! :wink:

larry....I have used Model Master airbrush thinner to thin the "kandy's" or transparents they sell and it worked just fine. I shot some of their gloss black doing the same and it worked good.

You might also be able to thin them with acrylic lacquer thinner, I have thinned model master enamels with it before with no problem. Just make sure your primer is lacquer.

Here is some info from the H.O.K site:

DO NOT USE OTHER COMPANY'S HARDENERS, REDUCERS OR THINNERS IN OUR PRODUCTS.

REDUCERS

Reducers for Kosmic Kolor® Urethane Enamel & SHIMRIN® Universal Bases:

Our Kosmic Reducers - Ru-300 EXEMPT, RU-310 FAST DRY, RU-311 MEDIUM DRY, RU-312 SLOW DRY - are the only reducers we recommend for use with our Kosmic Kolor Urethane Enamel system. Used in the base, Kandy and clear coats, our reducers allow for:

excellent sprayability

fast staged release

good flow out and leveling

retention of gloss when dry

NOTE: Even with over reduction, the paint retains its gloss. Other reducers may cause dulling. This is especially true when any amount of over reduction has been attempted to even metallics or increase flow out.

THINNERS

Thinners for Kustom Kolor® Acrylic Lacquers:

Our Kustom Thinners 101 HI-GLOSS and 202 FAST DRY are the finest thinners you can buy at any price. The thinner carries the paint to the surface, then evaporates from the paint film. The way the thinner leaves the film determines the flow, tack free time, consistency, shrinkage, leveling, dry time, tape, time and final gloss.

Choose the thinner best suited to your shop conditions and the size of the object to be sprayed.

Our Thinners are- not cross referenced by any other paint company.

Just thought I would post this so you wont waste any time or paint! 8)

Hey all - I've been told that normal thinners - mineral spirits, Testors Airbrush thinner, etc. - do not work with the new House of Kolor model paints. I picked up a whole mess of them at NNL East and am anxious to try the stuff. What do you use to thin it, if not their own thinner?

Thanks!

I would use Gunze Mr. Color thinner if you have access to it. My LHS carries it and I use it to thin the real HOK paints, so it should work with this stuff as well. The Kustom Kolors thinner is stupid expensive, just like all hobby thinners. Mr. Color is not as "hot" as generic lacquer thinner, and works wonders on styrene.

Lacquer thinner works fine. just get a fast drying thinner, the slower drying thinners are way too hot for plastic. R&M PNT62 is a fast dry thinner that will work good on models. I've used it extensively as a pro painter. Acetone will work, but flashes off very quickly,so dryness or overspray might be a problem till you get the hang of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting! I used some Dupont thinner in my decanted Shimrins Candy tangerine and it sprayed real nice. It ended up flat but I always clear my paint with some PPG clear and that went on fine and polished well. I will likely switch to PPG thinner when my Dupont runs out.

But if you call in the next 10 minutes, we'll DOUBLE your order!!!!!

No, QUADRUPLE IT!

That's right!

This is a $800 value, yours for ONLY $19.95

CALL NOW!!!

dtl876.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist :lol:

I agree. This is the best thinner out there period. I bought this gallon about 2 years ago and it's still about halfway. I think it was about $23.00

Thanks,

I seem somewhat confused(which for me is not hard to do at all).Are we talking about the House of Colors paint that is used on 1:1 cars or the new Kustom Kolors paint for models. :?

I believe that Larry Greenberg's original question was about "Kustom Kolors by the makers of HOK", not GENUINE HOK paint.

I'm pretty sure all the thinners mentioned here will work fine on either.