Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Chris,

I want to throw this out before you go much further. To me, it seems like the radius at the upper rear portion of them could stand to be just a bit more gradual as they transition into the downward sloping rear wall. Maybe it's my eyes, but yours seem to have just a bit sharper edge than the 1:1 pics. The angle looks right. They just look like they could stand to be a bit rounder over the top. Take it for what it's worth - maybe not much... :)

Scott

Mike... Lol I know I can never leave it alone...hahaha I just want to have these air dams done lol

Dave..... Thank you

Scott... Thank you for the feedback my friend, I really do appreciate it. I will work the back edge a little more and make it a bigger radius so they aren't so sharp and have a more rounded edge.

Sweating the little poop is what this build is all about Chris. Do it till you're satisfied, as the song goes.

I enjoy you toiling over every detail till they are perfect since the end result will be what I can only state will be an utter masterpiece.

These air dams are almost there bro. And since they are prominent to the car they must be like every other piece you have fashioned. Done right and to the standard you have set.

Bob

Chris....After looking at them some more...IMO ... it looks like the vent area on the 1:1 car has more of a radius to it. yours looks more like it angles back....I also tend to think that the vent its self is a bit wider on the 1:1 car...the distance between the side of the vent and the rivets on the base piece look to be less than what you have...Might just be me but that kind of what I am seeing whe I look at it...and I think the base might be a tad thick compared to the 1:1.

What you have is way better than I could do though ...so not sure I should be putting in my 2 cents worth anyway....

Bob.... Thank you so much... You know I have got to try and capture every little detail I can since that is the way I have been doing this build...lol

Dave... thank you so much my friend.

Danno... thank you. I am making progress but its not fast enough to have done by the DSC...lol :lol:

Dave... Thank you. on the vent you talking about the rear vent?? I added a lip to give a little bit of support but once I glue it to the flange plate that has the rivet in them, I will be opening up that rear vent some more. I am also going to be adding some bondo that will create the radius between the flange and the side pieces. the base piece I used a .020" thick piece of plastic. I could always try to sand it down to thin it or even take the part and transfer it to a .010" thick piece. I am going to have to consider that before I glue the main piece onto the flange.

So I was able to sit down at the bench for about an hour or so and started on cutting the holes out of the body and flange for the air dams. Only got one side done but I am happy with how it was coming out. here are some pics....

I started by lightly scribing guide lines into the blue sharpie of where the cut out was going to go. Then I started to drill the corners so that I could make my cuts by scribing and cutting the piece out:

DP-Army-Vega4836-1_zps90a5fe3a.jpg

Next I drilled all of the corners out:

DP-Army-Vega4837-1_zps7a6d9196.jpg

Then I scribed for a while taking my time not to gouge any of the plastic or having it slip out of the groove...lol:

DP-Army-Vega4839-1_zpsdb28a3ae.jpg

Showing the cut out and now you can see thru it:

DP-Army-Vega4845-1_zps7ec66010.jpg

Henry... Thank you.

Dave... Thank you Sir

Scott... Thanks my friend. I would love to hear this thing fire up

John... Thanks Brother.

Rick... Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. I have been approaching everything as to if it was its own model and trying my best to replicate the real thing. I know its not 100% correct but i am giving it my best.

Dave... Thank you. Did I possibly leave you speechless...lol :P kidding

Michael... Thank you Sir. Oh trust me I have a pretty cool idea rolling around in my head for an 1/8th scale build. Let me just say that I have had a really dear friend who I respect and admire give me a little motivation to consider doing a really big scale build. I am planning some ideas out already and also waiting on a chassis builder to get back to me.

Danno... You know it buddy, It will be at the Desert Scale Classis finished or not and sitting on the display/project table for sure. I am hoping to have the body in primer and possibly more of the engine done as well. Or pretty much what I can get done in the next 6 weeks...lol :lol:

Well Fellas... I can say that I am getting closer to getting these air dams finished. I still have a little more fabrication to do on them but I am making headway. I worked on them for a short time yesterday and some time tonight. I have gotten the flange and main body glued together and added some support pieces on the sides that will get shaped into place and then I just need to drill the vent holes in the front as well as open up the rear vent holes a tad. And I may try to clean the inside of the air dams up with a little bondo and plastic to make them a little smoother. Here are the pics

Here I started just like I did the other one by drilling the corners out first and then scribing the part to cut it out:

DP-Army-Vega4848-1_zpsb13747fb.jpg

Both opening have been cut out:

DP-Army-Vega4851-1_zps15d473e7.jpg

Mocking up a way to hold it in place when i was going to tack it with some glue:

DP-Army-Vega4857-1_zpsa1d7854c.jpg

Here they are off the car and glued. you can see I added some rod around the side and base that I will add a radius to which will make a transition from the flange to the body of the air dam:

DP-Army-Vega4861-1_zpse9118ec5.jpg

And here is the underside of the air dams, I am going to try and sand the plastic in the inside and add a little bondo to make them look a little smoother on the inside:

DP-Army-Vega4866-1_zps4189ba92.jpg

Danno... You know it buddy, It will be at the Desert Scale Classis finished or not and sitting on the display/project table for sure. I am hoping to have the body in primer and possibly more of the engine done as well. Or pretty much what I can get done in the next 6 weeks...lol :lol:

Chris, I can't wait to see it . . . and touch it . . .

LOL. Don't panic, man. I'll settle for seeing it!

{Don't forget to bring along your transmission jack so you can lift that monster up onto the table.}

Alan... Once I finish these air dams I may do a little more work to the body prepping it.... scuffing the whole body with scotch brite, removing the mold lines, working on the rear panel and finish fixing the area right behind the bumper. I also need to figure out how i am going to do the "Snorkle" on the body that sits around the blower area (the black piece you see on the body) but I may also jump back to the tin work and or motor. I have a few fixes I need to do with the mid -plate and tin work.

Henry... thanks,

Danno... you know I may just let you touch it or hold a few parts ;)

Scott... thanks my friend.

Dave.. thank you!

Well Fellas... I got some more work done on the air dams but still not complete. I hate to say it but i am starting to get burnt on them. I seriously just want them done, They are really close but still have a little to finish on them but before I show you them I have to show you some pics on some goodies I got from Jim at Micro Nitro. A while back I had realized when I originally ordered my front wheels for this project they weren't what was on the real car well I decided to purchase another set of rims that match the car and I just got them and I think it just adds to the look of the car. Jim did some very nice work for me on these. Here are a few shots of the new rims....

New rims from Jim at Micro Nitro. The old ones i had on the left (Centerlines) and the New ones on the right (Cragers):

DP-Army-Vega4870-1_zpsf2089397.jpg

DP-Army-Vega4872-1_zpsbcc3cecd.jpg

Old ones on the car:

DP-Army-Vega4876-1_zps1e86d742.jpg

New Cragers on the car:

DP-Army-Vega4878-1_zps447a08cc.jpg

And the real car so you can see again:

20100630083326614_zps3c530cca.jpeg