Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Niko... Thank you my friend. I had to challenge my self to see if I could make it working...lol To answer your question on painting, I will be painting the hatch and body separate. I will be unbolting the hinge and will paint the parts that way. I will probably take the edge of the hatch that sits on the body and sand it down just a tad to compensate for the little paint build up that the part may get.

Scott.... Thank you. I can't take the credit on the train springs. One of the other posters here Bob... was the one that suggested it and i am thankful that he did because they worked perfect.

Mark... Thank you

Dave... Thank you my friend. I have to say that I am very pleased with how its turning out so far. I just can't wait to have more of the engine done and body in primer.

So Fellas.... Yesterday and last night I worked on the front Air Dams that go over the front wheels. I was hoping to get the completed but I still have some work in them today but I have gotten a good start on them. I will let the pics do the talking....

Here are the reference pics I was using from the Army Vega Video on You Tube:

1974ArmyVega-149_zps28885855.jpg

1974ArmyVega-151_zps2345bfc9.jpg

Here you can see that the air dams are open to the inside of the body and can see the floor & tire thru it:

1974ArmyVega-201_zps84d7ea6c.jpg

Trying to show the side profile:

1974ArmyVega-158_zpsce721b88.jpg

Back Opening:

1974ArmyVega-155_zpsa874134c.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

I had started out by making the base of the Air Dam with .015" thick Evergreen Styrene, Getting it sized so it was close enough and adding holes for the rivets I will be using to hold it in place:

DP-Army-Vega4728-1_zps3bb37545.jpg

Next I got it into the position with the help of my Tamiya masking tape as a guide where I wanted it to sit. I started by drilling one of the holes in the corner first, then I placed a rivet to pin it in place and then did the opposite corner. One by one I transfered all of the holes into the body:

DP-Army-Vega4731-1_zps757d8864.jpg

I did that to both sides to get the placement done first on them:

DP-Army-Vega4732-1_zps3782248a.jpg

DP-Army-Vega4736-1_zps00bb98e0.jpg

More pics to follow....

Next I started to make the top portion of the air dams. I first made a jig by gluing some strip plastic to some balsa wood to help me keep a consistent angle when gluing the pieces. I used .020" thick plastic for the parts I was gluing together:

DP-Army-Vega4741-1_zpsb8d649c5.jpg

Here is the start of the parts after they were glued on my make shift jig:

DP-Army-Vega4746-1_zpse3c2ed76.jpg

​Here are the parts after trimming the height down and adding shape to the front and rear pieces. Still not done but I need to add pieces to create the holes for the front as well as a lip for the hole on the back side:

DP-Army-Vega4759-1_zps8d30353b.jpg

Here is a side profile view, I still need to work on shaping the front end down a little bit more. I think it needs to swoop a little more to the back with making the radius I am sanding a little bigger:

DP-Army-Vega4760-1_zpsbfee8093.jpg

I will be working on this more today. I need to add some pieces to the front to create the two holes to it. the rear outlet hole needs a little bit of plastic added to make a lip on it and then I will be drilling a hole in the base and the body so you can see thru it like the real car. So stay tuned and I will have some more updates later. I need to finish some house chores first ;)

Aaron... Thanks buddy I can't wait to have them completed today.

Tyrone... Thank you brother.

Brad.... Thank you my friend. Yep I will be changing that front up some more since the height difference is there between the front and rear of the air dam. That's as far as I got last night and was too tired to do more to it last night before bed but I do need to fix that issue today.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Brad... Thanks buddy. So Tell me what you think of the update below. I think they look much better now but do you think they need to be shaped more now??

Danno.... Thank you my friend.

Ok so I started messing around with the air dams this afternoon. I still have some more work to go but wanted to show progress and see what you all think with the new shape of things......

Here I stared out by shaping the front portion a little more giving it a bigger radius before I add plastic to create the openings:

DP-Army-Vega4770-1_zps4bc7b692.jpg

Here is a side view of the Right hand side:

DP-Army-Vega4776-1_zps2f4f4bb3.jpg

And the Left hand side:

DP-Army-Vega4777-1_zpsc5095219.jpg

higher view of the left hand side:

DP-Army-Vega4781-1_zps4e861158.jpg

and both:

DP-Army-Vega4772-1_zps30bad8ec.jpg

Chris,

Amazed at the level of detail you're throwing in on this build, it staggers me...but I do have one observation; simply that the 1:1 air dams seem substantially "rounder" than your (awesome) build, yours seem, well, a little "boxy"? Thinking what I would do to make it possible to create that effect, possible double the styrene top, giving you some depth to implement the curvature and sand that into the styrene, and thus get the right curve? I guess you'd see that through the front/rear inlets but I think you could trim the inner piece of styrene back so aesthetically they didn't show.

You've probably already done something amazing, so this will probably be moot! Just tossing out an outside observation of what I see in your creation and the 1:1...hope you'll accept this in the spirit it was meant!

Joe

John.... Thanks Brother!! They are getting there.

Jim... thank you my friend. Its been a pleasure sharing this buildvwith everyone.

Brad... thank you. Yoy know i have to agree that I need to bring down the front a little more. Will do that later tonight.

Sflam.... thank you.

Joe... thank you sir! i really Appreciate the suggestion and i welcome feedback. I want to make sure i am understanding correct. When you are standing in front if the car infont of the headlight and looking down towards the rear it needs to be more rounded in that direction right?

I added some plastic on the inside corners last night so i wouldnt sand thru the walls when rounding but I think I need to make the radius a little bigger to get that curvature you are talking about so they don't look as boxy. Let me kmow ifnI understood correctly. Thanks

Dave... thank you!

Edited by Mooneyzs