Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Rom.... Hey Brother!! Its great to see you back here man. Sure have missed you around here and your awesome builds. Thank you for taking the time to catch up on this build. Are you going to be coming out for the Desert Scale Classic this year?? Would be great to see you again. I am super stoked to see that you are back on your 1/16th pro mod build. I have been itching for an update for a while now.

Hey Chris I'm gonna give it a try and make it out this year Ive had a ruff 2013 and I'm hoping to start this year anew. I do miss you guys and I would love to come even if i don't have anything to show.

Hey Chris I'm gonna give it a try and make it out this year Ive had a ruff 2013 and I'm hoping to start this year anew. I do miss you guys and I would love to come even if i don't have anything to show.

Hey, Rom! What Chris said!

You're always welcome here. (Bring a carload and make them share the costs. LOL.)

Henry... Thanks...lol I will probably save the cold one for this weekend. a well deserved beer or two... :lol:

Danno... I some how get the feeling you are telling me times flying and I don't know if I will have this build done in time for the Desert Scale Classic. :o Gonna do my best at getting it done but It will be ok if it takes a couple extra months so that it turns out they way I want it with out rushing anything.

Rom... It will be great if you could make it out so we all could see you. I was going to say don't feel bad that you have nothing new to show but I am sure you have some in progress builds you could bring . Heck I don't even know if i will make the dead line with the funny car since we are 2 months away and I know that those two months will fly by. I am sorry to hear that 2013 was a little ruff for you, This year will definitely be a better one for you. I am just glad to see you back here and remember your modeling family is here for ya.

Danno... LOL at making them share the cost. That would make the gas bill a lot cheaper...

Well Fellas... I got to the bench tonight and used tonight to fix the latch in the hatch. I have to say that I am pretty happy that I took the time to redo the latch and I ended up adding a spring to make it function. I feel that it works better now. Now I can put the hatch aside and work on some other parts of the body and the engine. I think that I am going to start on the Air Dams tomorrow for a change of pace on this build. Any let me show you what I accomplished tonight....

So over the weekend I hit up a local Train shop in Mesa, AZ looking for different springs from trains to used in the latch and I think I picked up just about every size I could find since I didn't know how big or strong they would be...lol. Here they are:

DP-Army-Vega4691-1_zps16f055db.jpg

Here is an up close shot of the springs next to a penny to give you an idea on their size:

DP-Army-Vega4695-1_zpsf8208a35.jpg

Here is the latch after I disassembled it. I had cut off the top piece and then not sure if you can see it but I filed that latch itself so that it would have a lip that would fit inside the I.D. of the spring. and the top piece with the slot is the one that was removed and a new one will be made for it:

DP-Army-Vega4704-1_zps39c70625.jpg

I then decided to drill a small hole that the spring could set in on the inside:

DP-Army-Vega4708-1_zps90171105.jpg

Here is the spring set into place and the latch portion for you to see. I also glued in a new bridge piece at the opening of the latch:

DP-Army-Vega4711-1_zps347ee377.jpg

Here is part of it assembled with a new top piece being made. I took Brads advice and cut down a brass hex bolt so that it wouldn't stick so far out. you will see in a following pic:

DP-Army-Vega4714-1_zps1d2fb339.jpg

Here is the hatch installed back into the body after the fix, I am really happy that it only took a couple of hours this evening:

DP-Army-Vega4720-1_zpscf1e8d30.jpg

Stay tuned I have a special post following this one, showing the latching in action..... B) ...Yep I took a video to show you all how it works.... :D

Ok so I had to take a few videos to show you guys the hatch and latch in action....

This first video is showing you the latch working with out the top off so you can see the spring in place and that it keeps the latch i position:

th_DP-Army-Vega4716_zpsb02946ab.jpg

This next video is basically the same as the first but with the cover on the latch glued in place:

th_DP-Army-Vega4718_zps2f2a9454.jpg

Ok... I think this video is my favorite of the 3. This one is showing you with the hatch mounted back into the body and showing the function of the latch and movement of the hatch. I think it turned out ok:

th_DP-Army-Vega4719_zps8ce34bc7.jpg

Ok so I had to take a few videos to show you guys the hatch and latch in action....

This first video is showing you the latch working with out the top off so you can see the spring in place and that it keeps the latch i position:

th_DP-Army-Vega4716_zpsb02946ab.jpg

This next video is basically the same as the first but with the cover on the latch glued in place:

th_DP-Army-Vega4718_zps2f2a9454.jpg

Ok... I think this video is my favorite of the 3. This one is showing you with the hatch mounted back into the body and showing the function of the latch and movement of the hatch. I think it turned out ok:

th_DP-Army-Vega4719_zps8ce34bc7.jpg

That is just amazing. I would have a bazillion little springs and pieces of latches littering my floor...

Joe... thank you. I actially shot one of the springs across the room and tweaked on by grabbing it to hard...lol

Brad... thank you my friend. I am stoked at how it turned out but think it could of been a tad better but i was able to use most of what I had done previously so I didnt have to redo everything.

Danno... Thank you sir.

Mike... thank you my friend. I am glad I am making you all proud of this build. I have no doubt that you could do this kind of detailing.

Scott... thank you. i appreciate the kind words.

Henry.... thank you

Clint... thank you and i appreciate the nice words. Dont get rid of your stuff

Dave... thank you sir. I will do my best at firing it up at the DSC...lol

Joe... thank you... pretty cool pic

Rom... thanks buddy. What i saw in a video that Prudhomme had in you tube is where I saw the detail of the latch. Now I dont think they all are like this one but i believe the newer styles have a quick release so they can open it up and get out fast. I am just stoked i was able to acomplish making the hatch and latch work.

Jim... Thank you sir. My goal has been to have it done for the Desert Scale Classic but I have to be honest I am not sure if I will have it 100% complete by then but it will be at the show for sure. I had told myself when I started this build that I wasn't going to rush this build at all because I want it to turn out with the vision I had when I first started this build. Guess I feel I need to stay true to taking my time on this one.

John... Thanks Brother.... Hey no worries you are late just glad you showed up... Lol ;). I figured you would get a kick out of the video since you suggested I do something like that.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Henry... thank you. Yep I cant rush it even if i want to. I am so anxious to finish it but I can see that finishline but it is still a ways away bit visable.

Ray... thank you sir. I guess I keep trying to find extra details for each part I am doing to push my limits a send this over the top if I can.

That whole Escape Hatch is Spectacular! I can't believe that the mechanism was scratchbuilt, as it looks so good and it works so good. It is a little detail, but it's a very neat one that takes this build to a completely new level. I've never seen anything like that. Are you going to paint the body with the hatch opened or closed?