Model Cars Magazine Forum

53 Stude Carrera-Panamericana racer 11/25

Jantrix

I have had an unexpected setback on the painting front.

So far so good right? I love the color.

2011-11-14062403.jpg

My lack of a paint booth or decent place to paint bites me once again, some sort of wind borne fiber got into the paint here.

2011-11-14062454.jpg

And then I saw this. *facepalm* I don't know how I could have missed it, but I sure did. So she's likely gonna end up in the purple pond, and this is lacquer so will likely take a while. Part of me says screw it and just finish the build, but I'd like for this to see a contest table or two, and there's no way I'd be happy doing that as is. One step forward and two back.

2011-11-14062426.jpg

And then I saw this. *facepalm* I don't know how I could have missed it, but I sure did. So she's likely gonna end up in the purple pond, and this is lacquer so will likely take a while. Part of me says screw it and just finish the build, but I'd like for this to see a contest table or two, and there's no way I'd be happy doing that as is. One step forward and two back.

2011-11-14062426.jpg

And that seam has a twin on the other side.... :wacko:. Given all you've done so far and as well as it has come out so far it'd be a shame for you to not cure the casting flaw and carry on.

And that seam has a twin on the other side.... :wacko:. Given all you've done so far and as well as it has come out so far it'd be a shame for you to not cure the casting flaw and carry on.

Thanks guys. I'm going to sand down to primer in a few spots and then into the dip it goes. It's going to eat that aluminum screen and body filler too so I'm at step one on the body work again. Yay. :wacko:

Slant. I'm going to have to sand down the plastic to get rid of that seam. The odds of spot primering and painting and

have it still look good are long. I'd rather not meet the deadline on the Cannonball (and lets face it, with Carrera

Panamericana livery it's not gonna be very Cannonball-ish anyway) and have it ready for contest in February.

I don't see why you need to strip it to fix those issues. I certainly wouldn't go that route. Sand out the seams and hood problems and blend in the color. In this case lacquer is your friend. Especially if you are going to clear coat it.

I agree with Mark.....sand and feather it ..it should blend in fine

2011-11-03211344.jpg

Looking at this photo Rob,I think the problem with your hood started right here. Kinda looks like something was spilled on the hood before it was primered. Maybe Tenax or something else? I always spray a light mist coat of a different color primer over my base coat of primer. It helps me see the stuff that my failing eyes don't catch. I would just sand the body down really well,spot primer where needed and start the painting process again. I hope you get it worked out the way you want and don't have any more trouble.