Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mid Engine Focus

Deckerz

Kit - Revell ford focus rally kit used as the base.

Powerplant - Revell ferrari f50 barchetta engine.

003-17.jpg

002-27.jpg

001-31.jpg

I need to cut into the chassis to mount the engine....

005-9.jpg

As you can see there will be a few problems, mainly the exhaust and drive shaft being moulded to the chassis.

I should be able to just get away with covering it up with a sheet of styrene and the kit come with front belly pan that ends just behind the cross member.

I will need to get a set of the f50 wheels and brakes to properly mock it up, right now its on xmods rc wheels so not ideal, also i will have to get a set of matching wheels custom made because the front wheels will use the original pin wheel mounts and the rears will use whatever the f50 wheel mounts are.

Anyway, alot of body and chassis work needs to be done and engine needs refurb but thats all for now.

Nice one this is going to be a cool model when you finish it.

Exotic Tuner class would be great to see a real one but to much $$$.

I like the idea of the Ferrari engine in such a small car

it should make one wild ride when finished. Hey is Vin Diesel watching

this site that would be a great car for the next and I know they will make it

Fast and the Furious movie. they could use all custom cars.

Thanks for the comments guys :(

Iv been busy lately but have found time to work on the project a bit. iv cut part of the chassis out, now i just need to measure the width of the swing arms and cut the inside wheel wells correctly, after that the engine will sit further up so it will be more visable when finished, anyway enough talk....

004-13.jpg

005-10.jpg

001-32.jpg

Thanks guys.

Im deliberatly holding off working on the body, it needs work to the roof but thats about it as it has the wide arches moulded and rally bumpers.

After taking the last pictures i thought id have a go at taking apart the engine to re paint it, suprisingly it was very easy to take apart.

006-7.jpg

I want to try add springs from a xmods rc car to the rear suspension to give it abit more realism.

Few more pics for you, iv cut out where the number plate would usually go, for heat extraction, i will be using the mesh from the ferrari enzo kit as a grill. I will also be using the radiators from the enzo kit, they will be mounted in the front. Once i get a better knife i will cut out the moulded front grill and hood vents and replace with the mesh from the enzo kit. Also mocked up the spoiler.

001-33.jpg

002-28.jpg

003-18.jpg

Needs tidying up but should easy enough.

Excellent project! I've been thinking of dropping a Ford SHO motor ('89 Taurus kit) into the rear of a Ford Probe, driving the rear wheels. When I find a Probe kit, I may try it.

In the meantime this one has really got my attention. Looking forward to progress.

Tony

Hey Deck-

I'm loving this. It gives me some ideas for a Toyota MR2 body that I have. Maybe combining it with a Ferrari, since I only have the body.

Got a link to your Mustang? I haven't seen it in a while and would like to see your progress on it.

Later-

GTMust - Thanks Tony and good luck finding a probe kit, sounds like a killer project.

diymirage - Thanks man, yours sure looks unusual but nice to see another focus that isn't build box stock.

Tom Reid - Looking forward to your build.

DoubleD - Thanks Dave, i was actually thinking of adding a firewall, a solid styrene sheet with a section cut out to fit a old rear window i have from a AMT charger then i would glue it to the front of the rollcage, just need some styrene. Im not sure about the holes in the quater glass, maybe some small scoops instead on the sides? Im using the mesh from the revell enzo kit for the front bumper and the cut out of the hatch, mocked it up with white glue and looked good so il stick with it. Hmm...Ford Focus FF sounds good :) I was thinking Ford Focus RSF-550 at first but its abit too long haha.

made007 - I might have used a gt-40 engine if i had one but im a bit bored of v8 engines right now (never thought id say that) also thanks :)

Modlbldr - Thanks Tom, Hmmm....i like the sound of that MR2 with ferrari powerplant, maybe a f40 twin turbo v8 :D would be killer! I finished the mustang and few other projects a while ago but didn't have internet at the time to update because im in my own house now so all my old projects are at my parents place, i will try to get a few pics when im next there if i remember.

So iv been thinking about colour and remembered i have some car paint that i never used because i was forced to sell the car before i got a chance to paint, MG Rover, british racing green, this is it on a test body after sanding out the orange peel, no wax or polish. What do you guys think, should i use it?

001-34.jpg

this is the real car, the colour from a distance.

Picture215.jpg

Hey Deck-

I'm loving this. It gives me some ideas for a Toyota MR2 body that I have. Maybe combining it with a Ferrari, since I only have the body.

Got a link to your Mustang? I haven't seen it in a while and would like to see your progress on it.

Later-

Your build has inspired me too, I remember seeing a rear engined 1932 Ford back in the UK many years ago (?Toyota?).

I'll be following your build, is that Halfords paint? I miss that here in NZ :D

Nice color and sweet project. What kind of car was that you had?

Thanks man, the car was a 2001 MG ZR, as you can probaly tell by the pic i was in the middle of fitting the new engine when that pic was taken.

Your build has inspired me too, I remember seeing a rear engined 1932 Ford back in the UK many years ago (?Toyota?).

I'll be following your build, is that Halfords paint? I miss that here in NZ :D

:lol: i got it from halfords but its not halfords own paint, i bought it in a 500ml tub (glad i didn't get the 1l tub now or i would have loads left), i don't use any of the halfords own stuff really, doesn't seem to like me or my projects lol so i always use hycote for primer and clear coat, all seem to be compatible with each other, i was suprised after i thinned the paint that it would go through my airbrush but it does with no problems.