Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spraying with Tamiya Pure White

I am doing a pure white interior in my Dart however I am having a few issues with the paint. The undercoat is a sandable light grey primer which I have used numerous times before with Tamiya spray cans without fault however the Pure White does not seem to play well with it at all.

The main issues I am having is the paint not taking to the edges so the grey shows through as well as pooling. In other places it seems to be crazing. I am using my usual spray painting protocol of a few mist coats to build up a good even base and then a flow coat or two. The problems with the edges and pooling is happening as early as the later mist coat stages. I have painted the back half of a Black Widow 57 Chev and got around the problem by giving the problem areas a light sand to correct and then another blast with the paint but there has to be a reason I am having these troubles.

Does anyone have a specific receipe when using this particular paint or ideas for getting good results with white sprays from the outset?

Several hints:

Tamiya colors like Pure White are relatively "thin" in regards to pigment. You really need to apply it either over fresh, white styrene or white primer.

There might be an issue between using one brand of primer and another brand of paint. If you had used Tamiya fine white primer, you'd be doing backflips right now because it would look so incredibly good.

I decant/airbrush Tamiya sprays, easier to build up mist coats and avoid the problem w/paint pulling away from edges, etc. But the main issue you are having is spraying white over gray.

I found out too that the Tamiya Pure White is pretty thin,so I just use Plasti Kote T-237 white primer on parts or bodies that will be painted with it. Doesn't take but a very little paint to cover them then.

I'm with Jon Cole. I can't find Tamiya primer around here anymore so I switched to Dupli-Color and it has been fantastic. The one I use under white is called "White Sand". It's also a lot cheaper per once than the Tamiya. Good luck.

As it has been suggested use a white primer as your base. My favorite is Tamiya White and I've used the Pure White over it on a couple of projects with no problem. Since their white primer has become difficult to find you might try their Matte White that you could spray over the Grey primer before applying the White Gloss. Most of the time I also decant my Tamiya paint to spray it through the airbrush which will allow you do do as many mist coats over the problem areas as you think you need.