Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren

mrmike

Someone once said, "There comes a time when one must up their status in life." I don't know who said that, but this is a status machine! Designed to combine the look, feel, and functionality of a sports and a GT car, the SLR McLaren did. This is my new project, Tamiya's SLR McLaren.

SLR01.jpg

I don't understand why Tamiya uses colored metallic plastic for the body only to have the molded product full of swirls. This body would have really shined with a little polishing.

SLR02.jpg

My paint will be Tamiya TS-17 Gloss Aluminium.

SLR03.jpg

More to come...

Great to see this kit in a WIP thread Mike. The colored plastic thing with Tamiya is a mystery to me also - not too many people are going to pick this kit up for a first, no-paint build. I'll keep an eye on this build.

Edited by Coyotehybrids

That's a beautiful car Michael as I had one next to me on the highway. It is out of production now as the contract between Mercedes & McLaren has ended almost two years ago. The base price for that car was only $450,000. A bit out of my league but a nice lookin' car just the same. Good luck with your build.

IIRC, Richard Hammond of the BBC's Top Gear got himself buckled into an SLR and then he couldn't reach the door to pull it down! ;) Not made for the verically challenged! As I scan through the instructions, this kit will be a bit of a challenge to build, but I am up for a challenge! While prepping the body parts for paint, I noticed that what I thought was mold lines are actually swirls in the colored plastic. And, the swirls are percisely placed leading me to think that they were mold lines. I had thought about paint it red, but decided on Gloss Aluminium instead.

I got the front and rear suspensions installed along with the brake rotors and calipers.

SLR07.jpg

SLR08.jpg

I installed the engine plate and inner fenders. I'll start detailing the air intake and engine cover.

SLR09.jpg

More to come...

• 2 weeks later...

This is looking really good, Mike. I'm impressed how well the Gloss Aluminum with clear looks. I have a Mercedes Benz 300SLR #722 that has been abandoned for a number of years. The chassis is completely done, and is just waiting for the body and decals. I stripped the body twice because I just wasn't satisfied how the other silver/clear paint jobs I applied looked. This looks like the perfect solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that my Starliner is complete, I can get back to the SLR. One of the features of this kit is the diecast metal plate for the chassis. Why this is, I don't know. It does add some weight to the model and may even strengthen the interior and chassis assembly.

SLR13.jpg

A unique item to the SLR is the exhaust tips mounted behind the front wheels.

SLR14.jpg

The engine cover is still in progress.

SLR15.jpg

More to come...

Great Build on the Car....I have built this kit myself...and indeed it is another fine Tamiya product..

Would like to add be careful of the layers of paint you apply...i had put several coats of Tamiya TS-14 (Black) on the body of the car and due to the close tolerance of the door fit...i had a problem with the doors fitting right...ended up doing some sanding just to make them fit..Good Luck.. Looking Good...Don.:unsure:

Thank you Don and Charlie!

Charlie, you might see this one!

The interior is coming along nicely.

SLR19.jpg

The dash is in progress. I need to add the instrument decals and the instrument pod to the dash.

SLR20.jpg

SLR21.jpg

More to come...

The dash is finished and installed into the interior.

SLR22.jpg

A closeup of the dash showing the decals and the SLR metallic letters on the center stack.

SLR23.jpg

A view of the seats from over the dash.

SLR24.jpg

More to come...