Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratchbuilt from the frame up

Jamez

A few months ago I started This kit...

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40833&st=0&p=424113&fromsearch=1&#entry424113

After realizing how awful of a kit that is, I went looking for something new..... But the local shop had nothing that really intrigued me, except that is, for the racks of styrene.

While staring at the Engine for that Challenger, and seeing a couple of styrene strips floating around, an idea was born.

Fam2.jpg

Fram1.jpg

The following is what I have accomplished in the last 2 months... slow I know, but my 3 month old son has been keeping me busy, besides, I like to build slow anyway. It is based off of plans I found on Locostusa.com 1" square tube is what most of them are building out of... so I followed suit.

Cassis1.jpg

Chassis2.jpg

Chassis4.jpg

Chassis3.jpg

Some of the joint need to be cleaned up, but I plan to do that after the entire chassis/ suspension is set up. Just like if I was building an actual car.

Currently working on the rear suspension. Will update as I can.

As always suggestions/comments are welcome

Edited by Jamez

That frame is crazy. I was just watching a episode of Lucas Oil On the Edge and they featured XRRA racers. Your frame looks like something they would use. Perhaps you are turning this into something like that?

B)nice work.. looks great..

will the v8 fit in there now..? or is there mods required..?

looks like a "Locost" or "Caterham" frame/chassie

LocostAussieChassis.jpg

chassis2.JPG

;)

Edited by Boreham

I got the basic shape from the Locost frame. Good reference material is very easy to find.

The v8 will fit, I'm just going to have move the upper front frame rails outward about 2 scale inches.

Found some rims and tires today.... Just the chrome and the rubber though for the fronts, no rear hub.... I guess I'll be building the rear half of the rims for them.....

Chassis6.jpg

Chassis5.jpg

Hopefully have the wheels and rear suspension finished by this weekend... then I'll be gone for a few weeks

• 4 weeks later...

Back from holidays with some updates. The rear suspension is done, and so are the rims. Have a gander....

Rear Suspension...

RSuspension1.jpg

RSuspension2.jpg

RSuspension3.jpg

RSuspension4.jpg

As for the tires, I had the chrome outside peice and the rubber, but not the backing piece or the bit the spindle goes in.... so they were built..

Started with this

Tire1.jpg

Traced the pattern through, drilled and crudely filed the shape to this.

Wheel2.jpg

Sheet styrene makes the body and the rear lip

Wheel3.jpg

wheel4.jpg

And ended up with this.

Wheek5.jpg

Wheel6.jpg

As it stands, the rear axle has been re-sized for width and a rear cover has been installed... now my 4 month old is dictating when I get to play.

Feedback, criticism, and ideas are welcome.

No idea yet for the sheet metal, at this point, I'm just focusing on running gear. I'll worry about sheet metal last I think. Get the front suspension doen then the engine/drive line in, then interior, then sheet metal.

Sheet styrene is easy enough to manipulate if bought thin, I am just unsure of what direction to go with it.

Thanks Scale-master, I've wanted to build one for years, both in scale for and the drivable form, but funds for the drivable form are not available, and mu skills never really allowed for building the scale kind.

As mentioned, it'll be slow going, my 4 month old is taking most my time... but that's a good thing.

Thanks for the comments guys

• 3 months later...

Finaly got some time to pick away at this thing. Since my son arrived my time has been directed elswhere, and my work space has been downgraded to this......

workbench.jpg

The front suspension has been worked out. upper and lower A-arms, mounting points, and a rack havbe been built and fitted. The suspension is funcitonal and the steering is posable.

Steering rack - some 3/32 tube with sprue on either end that was spun down in a dremel to hopefully look like bellows,

rack.jpg

The A-arms were made from 1/16 rod, mounts were made from 1/8 squar tube with one side filed open. Shimmed into place with .015 sheet. Tje springs were stolen from the same X mod that the rear springs came from and the tires for Project Yardsale. Some cleanup still needed.

frontleft.jpg

front2.jpg

front1.jpg

[

I have also decided that the big block is out. Instead a small block of some kind will be going in. I did have to widen the upper frame railed by 4 scale inches - 2 on each side to make it fit properly.

mocjupuse.jpg

Next up is to modifythe springs to drop the stance just a bit, build brakes. and do something with seats.... Does anybody know where I may find a guide of some kind for building some kirkey seats?

Thanks for looking, hopefully it wont be 4 months before I get back at it.

1. Oooh, I love the way this one is turning out. I am always amazed at the skill level with these scratch-built frames. Fantastic job! Keep it going.

Skill level??? I can't even sart to keep up with you and the rest of the guys!

too bad about the work space

yeah it sucks, but its worth it!

Thankss everyone for thee thoughts. I have one set of rotors spun down, bu they came in at 11 scale inches, I am currently building a second set that'l be closer to 13"