Model Cars Magazine Forum

BMF/Paint/Decal Question

100_1431.jpgI'm working on Revell's Hemi Dart and am doing it as Larry Griffith's car. I'm new to car modelling and not sure about the order to do things. I have the body painted and cleraed with Future. The question is should I apply foil and decals and then clear coat again or foil it after the decals and final clear coat?

I recommend foiling after. Others will recommend foiling before. It's only a matter of personal choice, it makes no difference to the adhesion or lifespan of the foil. I like to lightly polish the foil w/compound to brighten it up.

Like Bob says, it's a matter of personal choice. I've never cleared over BMF, but I have cleared over decals to ensure long-term durability. My only recommendation is to start with a very light coat of clear over decals to avoid 'floating' them.

I guess I'm going to be the oddball. I generally clear, then foil, then decals, then a top clear.

The first clear provides some protection to the paint during the embossing / cutting stage. I do the decals after for the same reason, less likely to damage them while foiling.

So far I've never had a problem with clear yellowing over foil, but I have had foil start to come loose after a time when I didn't clear coat it. BMF had (has?) a bad tendancy of having the glue go bad. I know they claim to have addressed it on several occasions, but don't know if they got it right on the most recent "new and improved".