Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody like straight trucks?

Not customs, pickups, or semis, just plain ol' workin' trucks. I'm thinking about building an 8 ton farm truck, and I'd like to see what you guys have done. Flatbeds, dumps, box trucks, concrete trucks, you get the idea. Got any?

Here's a pic of my 1:1 work truck and the replica I did. The replica isn't 100% correct but, it gets the idea across.

390254738.jpg

396724417.jpg

Rob, nice job, but I think Hugh meant trucks like this.

champion_carrier-004z98457.jpg

WV_Plows2009-12-18-1261182772.jpg

And of course my personal favorite! :(

oharemistress.jpg

Thanks Highway, this is the only light commercial I have at the moment... B) I am still collecting a little of this and a little of that for a project I have in mind for a Bison kit that I am turning into a dump truck... :blink:

Here's one that was done by a mate of mine who recently passed away , Rys Crosskill , it's of a night carter who would come around in the middle of the night and collect the toilet can and replace it with a empty one .My grandfather used to invite the driver, who knew he ponged a bit into the house for a christmas drink , much to the anoyance of my grandmother LOL.

4thdubbovintageday125.jpg

4thdubbovintageday126.jpg

Hey Rob, I was looking for the bigger ones, but I really like your pickup. That's obviously a truck that works for a living, I bet the driver does too. I'm also making a model of my 1:1 work pickup.

Yeah, Highway, that's the ticket!

Scummy, I dig the "honey dipper" and the story too! "Golden Nugget"-LOL! Yeah, golden and nuggets. ;):D

Edited by basher

The sections are kind of confusing, chuckyr. The pickup section says "Pickups, SUVs, Non-commercial trucks". None of those are what I'm looking for. This section just says "Model Trucks", which seems like it should cover everything but pickups etc.

It's kinda a gray area. Maybe there could be a section just for "Big Rigs". Might make it easier.

This thread should be under the pick up topic.

Why should it NOT be here? The pick up section clear states "NON COMMERICAL TRUCKS"! :o:huh::unsure:

Hugh, this IS the proper place for this thread. It's obvious to me you want to see some commerical trucks, regardless of the fact of whether or not they need a CDL to drive. It's just my opinion, but even a one ton wrecker like this one is proper for the trucks section, not the pick up section!

mexp_001z43721.jpg

Here is a Hazmat truck I built a few years ago. I did it as a converted beverage truck with the last row boxed in to make a little in the field office.

Hazmat.jpg

This is a dozer tender I built to go with a dozer and transport

doztender7.jpg

doztender8.jpg

and a 1937 Stakeside (still kind of a work in progress). The wheels really look undersize but that is how the photo I was going from was set up.

Stakeside1.jpg

These are not mine, but I saw them at NNL West a few years ago (2008, 2009?), I thought they are nice and fit with your request.

FordF700.jpg

GMC.jpg

Chevyramptruck.jpg

compairtrucks.jpg

generatortruck.jpg

Way cool, Harry. I don't know nothin' about really old trucks, but I really like the open windshield and the wooden bed with the chains to hold the tailgate. Is the body galvanized or gray/weathered? Either way it looks great.

Just weathered a little. Flat gray acrylic craft paint, then some Testors Transparent Window Tint sprayed over it to dirty it up a bit.

OK straight trucks is not my favorite, but living in Europe I can see too many of the kind, because these are also very popular for tranzit from one country to another.

I am building two of these, the first one is an old SCANIA 141 tracktor converted to straight wooden flabed truck

scania141strechedframecabmountedside.jpg

and the other is a SCANIA 143M470 tracktor also converted to straight truck but this one going to be a curtain sider

scania143strechedframecabmountedside.jpg

What you see in these pictures in white is styrene.

Hope you like my builds,

Kostas.