Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '59 Ford Skyliner

GTMust

Being a total obsessive in this plastic hobby of ours..... I couldn't resist starting on the recent re-release of Revell's 1959 Ford Skyliner, even though I've got so many other projects ongoing. It's a typical multi-piece body of the era, but seems to come together pretty well so far. The chassis is simple but I think that detail painted, it will look fairly decent.

imagesCAUXIRPM.jpg

Here's the prototype I will attempt to re-create in miniature.

1959Galaxieblueandwhiteinterior.jpg

imagesCA4NE45U.jpg

The basic chassis received a coat of flat black prior to detailing:

chassisinbasicblack.jpg

The body parts have a coat of light blue:

Blue.jpg

and temporarily placed on the chassis with seats and figures to get an idea of where this build is going:

mockupbodyonchassis.jpg

So far so good.......

This is going to be a strictly OOB build and I will just take my time with it between other projects. Hope you will find it interesting as it's pretty basic compared to some of the exotic work going on in this forum!

Tony, that kit is NOT quite as bad as you might've heard. Just take your time, and PRE fit everything!!! The Roof folding mechanisms are kinda fiddley, but not that bad,really. I've seen these kits built up to show standards and quality, and EVERY time I asked "how did it build up" I was told the same thing, "Oh it's not too bad, JUST TAKE YOUR TIME"! So, with that, I took my time, an it came out real nice. Nothing you couldn't do too. B):):lol:

Hope you will find it interesting as it's pretty basic compared to some of the exotic work going on in this forum!

Oh, I'm sure there will be a few who find it interesting - myself included. This is one of those kits I have eyeballed a hundred times but never purchased. I'll like seeing it built up.

There is nothing wrong with OOB - exotic or extra detailed doesn't always equate to a better build. Solid, clean construction is worth a lot.

Thanks for the inspiration guys.

One thing I've noticed is that there are cutouts in the rear body panel to allow the folding top hinges space to raise up. You can see them on the above mock up photo. In reality this rear panel did not have these cutouts and when the top was closed there was a simple straight trunk line across the back panel.

I don't know if I can modify the hinge arrangement on the model to eliminate this error. Does anyone know if previous builders have found a way to overcome this problem or just built it as per the kit?

Tony

I've been looking hard at this kit since it was re-issued and now, after seeing what you've posted, I think I'm going to pop on it! You're post seems to have answered my biggest questions about it. I love the mid-late '50's Ferds and the Skyliner is one of my favorite vehicles of all time! I'll follow this build and I look forward to updates!

Thanks for the inspiration guys.

One thing I've noticed is that there are cutouts in the rear body panel to allow the folding top hinges space to raise up. You can see them on the above mock up photo. In reality this rear panel did not have these cutouts and when the top was closed there was a simple straight trunk line across the back panel.

I don't know if I can modify the hinge arrangement on the model to eliminate this error. Does anyone know if previous builders have found a way to overcome this problem or just built it as per the kit?

Tony

So, with that, I took my time, an it came out real nice. Nothing you couldn't do too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

George: If you already built this model, I'd love to see some pics. Any chance?

Brian46: Not sure what your post has in mind? Do you have a comment or question?

Tony

I have one of the Skip's issues downstairs that someday, I will build.

The light blue/white looks nice on it, and a nice change from white or black with red.

I might do mine in two-tone blue or two-tone green.

I also remember seeing a '59 Sunliner at 50s Night down in New Bedford in solid Geranium, which actually looked pretty nice. I may grab a Modelhaus resin and build one like that.

Charlie Larkin

Looks really good thus far....I like your choice of blue.

I built the Skip's version of this many years ago....I dug it out today and the retractable roof still works...I vaguely remember using 2-part epoxy to hold the retractable mechanism together.

The stock Modelhaus hubcaps that I ordered way back when are still in the trunk.

Thanks guys.

It's going to be slow progress among the other projects that I have to get finished, but I will keep updates coming.

Right now I have my two Mustangs to finish by July 1st for the Fox Mustang CBP, plus a 1/32 scale 1911 Stanley Steamer and a 1912 Packard that I'm building for a museum diarama exhibit.

Tony