Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another wheel ID please

Fellas' I have to admit I'm not real knowledgeable when it comes to all the different wheels out there. I'm in the process of casting a few wheels to add to my product line and came across this one.......is this an American Eagle and does the AAE on the center cap stand for American Eagle Alloy? As always any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.....

0212.jpg

I don't think it is a Torque Thrust wheel. They have the center caps screwed on and have fingers extending out from the center to accept the screws. However, if you look at the Cragar SS rim you will see that the center is a pop in unit (as I recall that is the case. I have broken more than one on a Coats 20-20). The center cap and/or wheel can be from any number of of manufacturers that copied Cragar's SS rim during the 60's through 80's. By the way, the rim looks fantastic. Give us more information on your product line.

Looks like cragers or what they call bullit rims for the mustang. Why they call it that I dont know.

I'm pretty sure they call them Bullets because they are similar to the wheels Steve McQueen had on his iconic Mustang in the movie Bullet.

Ford also had a Hunter Green mustang called The Bullet that had what Mustang junkies call - Bullets. It was an option package to celebrate the influence the car in the movie had on Mustang culture and Ford's sales numbers!

Guest Johnny

Yep Americans! Had a set like them on my 63 Fairlane! Bought them at KMart at the time.

You had to watch because they went to a cheaper wheel that was two piece (steel with aluminum insert) that if you put a tire that was a little too wide for the rim width would eventually come apart on you!:unsure:

I'd be interested in a couple sets when you get them done! Especially if you do Bigs and Littles.:rolleyes:

..thanks guys, can't tell ya's how much I appreciate all the info! Mark you have to be real close on the year, I know I've had these wheels since the late 60's.

.....Casey, these measure 0.6175" behind the bead. I believe that's 15" in 1/24 and slightly larger in 1/25...

....Eric, I make a variety of detail parts. I'm adding some wheels to the line up and some other parts in the near future. Take a moment to check them out, my web link is below my signature