Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model room temperatures

I read a few days ago that 70 degrees is the ideal temperature for primering or painting. Since i dont have a shop, my model room is an unused bedroom in our house. Whenever I paint, i ALWAYS open the window beforehand. Its still pretty cool outside and im concerned what will happen if i paint and the room gets cool. I dont have and cant afford a spray booth.

Wow, Ben, you are either not married or you have a very understanding spouse. If I sprayed paint in a bedroom, I'd be sleeping with the dogs for a few weeks. ;)

As long as the humidity is low or none at all, you will be able to get great results in temperatures 68 and above.

Here in Florida, where the humidity is a wet mop, I wait for a couple of idea weeks where there's no humidity and then I spray a whole bunch of bodies for when it gets too unbearable and humid.

You can always warm up the can and the body of the model. I done a couple times before and it wasn`t bad.Just make sure you have a box or something to put the body in to let airout.

John Pol

I read a few days ago that 70 degrees is the ideal temperature for primering or painting. Since i dont have a shop, my model room is an unused bedroom in our house. Whenever I paint, i ALWAYS open the window beforehand. Its still pretty cool outside and im concerned what will happen if i paint and the room gets cool. I dont have and cant afford a spray booth.

No humidity?

What dat?

It is always, and I mean always 70-80% here.

And temp is usually always 80 or so, if not more.

You can always spray with a different temp thinner, ie slower or faster, if cure times are off.

I wish I could spray in the house, get an old cardboard box, spray it with light coat of water to settle the dust, and shoot away!

One good trick is to get those food dehydrators and use them to dry the paint with.

I did an article way back when on converting one, and it has been brought up here many times.

Put a fan in the window to draw fumes out and keep cool air from coming in - wasteful as far as heating goes but...

Also, try a big cardboard box with two or three lamps. Place it close to or in the window. The lamps will provide light and heat (incandescent bulbs).

It's always 68 and dry where I live, except when it isn't.

Wow, Ben, you are either not married or you have a very understanding spouse. If I sprayed paint in a bedroom, I'd be sleeping with the dogs for a few weeks. :lol:

As long as the humidity is low or none at all, you will be able to get great results in temperatures 68 and above.

Here in Florida, where the humidity is a wet mop, I wait for a couple of idea weeks where there's no humidity and then I spray a whole bunch of bodies for when it gets too unbearable and humid.

I'm with the DR....But I shoot year round...back room, door sealed, fan blowing anything out, booth pumpin thru the filters...75 to 80 degrees...paint lays flat and no blush, so that means I'm blowing A/C into the yard........and I only shoot lacquers and dehydrate them cause I can...:D