Model Cars Magazine Forum

'81 Porsche 924 Turbo Fotki update

Foxer

I took a BMF inflicted break from my daughter's GMC Van so figured I should do an easy one to get back to modeling. :lol: Why doesn't that seem to work for me?

Porsche 924 Turbo side

A post by Gasman concerning the Arii 924 Turbo got me thinking and I acquired one thinking it would be a straightforward build. Mark Taylor commented about the accuracy of the Arii kit in that topic and I could see the problems easily when comparing the Arii to a Monogram 924 I had already built. I liked way Arii treated the front and rear clips but the window problem was too much to bear. So, I found a Monogram 924 Turbo kit to use for this build.

The Arii rear clip is useable but will take some bodywork to narrow the top section and match the body interface. The jury is still out on this. I'm attaching photos of both front and rear clips below ... the left one is the Arii. The Monogram ones are one piece, the Arii are multiple pieces that will detail up much nicer .. and easier.

Compare DSC 9145

Compare DSC 9146

Compare DSC 9147

I started bodywork by opening up the NACA hood scoop by grinding it out from behind and adding a piece of plastic to extend the hood into the scope opening.

NACA hole DSC 8956

NACA hole plate DSC 8967

I do already have the Havana Brown paint from Paintscratch. ;)

Porsche 924 Turbo rear 3-4 sml

I welcome all questions, comments, or criticisms

Edited by Foxer

• 5 years later...

I finished one of the Monogram versions this year. One of the few kits I finished, but that's another story. Anyway, back to my point, I would love to see an update. I've thought about buying this kit as well and look forward to seeing how it turns out!

It's on the back burner, unfortunately, for a quick finish as there's two 944's, a TR4A, Kombi etc. etc. I should get this one done since I have the paint and wheels and no more bodywork so it would go quickly by my timeline.

No guarantee, warranty or money-back policy.

• 8 months later...

Always liked the 944 and 924..I know the Porsche Purists thought the front engine was blasphemy, but I loved the body style  

I agree.

Anyone who doesn't appreciate the front engine Porsche's isn't a Porsche Purist. Porsche is about engineering and the front engine cars were exceptional engineering. :D

I agree.

Anyone who doesn't appreciate the front engine Porsche's isn't a Porsche Purist. Porsche is about engineering and the front engine cars were exceptional engineering. :D

HAHAHA... as long as you didn't mind the oil leaking out all over then yes :)

Seriously though the 944 is iconic and the 968 is really a fun car.

Foxer - I might have an extra 911 wheel from the Fujima 911 turbo enthusiast kits.  I bought some parts cars a while back for a build.  I'll check and PM you.  You are right about Porsche (VW) freely using the parts box for cars.  We used to joke in the 90s that no two VWs were the same no matter how hard they tried.  That said I converted a 92 GTI to rear disk brakes and power windows using an 88 Jetta doaner car and it all was straight bolt in :)