Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP - '71 Dodge Charger R/T 440 Six Pack

Drake69

product.jpg

So this is my next kit I'm working on. I did some good research and found pics of the Six Pack engine and will be modding the model to accommodate it.

38280830005_large.jpg

Interesting thing though. In researching the car I noticed that most of them have the "Air Grabber" hoods rather than the ribbed one the kit comes with. I have spare parts from a '71 Plymouth GTX that has the Air Grabber, but it would take some serious cutting to get it mounted in. Anyone know if there is a resin hood out there for that? I searched and really didn't find anything.

30336860003_large.jpg

Great subject, can't wait to see it. This one is maybe the best looking Charger, ever made. But anyway, is that kit good quality? I'm very interested about buying one, but how is the quality? But your builds are always very nice to follow, and this will look good too.

Good quality kit- about the only drawback is lack of building options in the kit. Very popular for providing a donor chassis and engine bay for lots of Mopar projects as well. Fit is good. The "Street Machine" version offers the "bazooka" exhaust tips and "Ramcharger" hood as well but an incorrect Hemi engine- they didn't bother to include a set of Hemi exhaust manifolds or headers

The standard kit includes a fairly basic R/T with the 4 barrel 440, A/C, bench seat, and automatic on the column

The engine shot in the earlier post isn't a correct factory reference either- it's a later model with A/C and the Six Pack added

For a nice scale Six Pack setup it's tough to beat the optional carbs from the AMT Duster 340 and probably the intake from the 70 Super Bee/69 GTX etc.

Quite a few resin parts easily available including the fresh air or Super Bee hoods, rear bumper with non louvered tailights (the kit taillights were the style that came on the R/T, 500 or with optional colored bumpers- other models were different), bucket seats and console, and hidden headlight grilles

This sounds like a good project! I built a similar version with a Ross Gibson 426 Hemi/4 speed, bucket seats and console from the AMT '70 Challenger R/T, but I kept the standard hood. Good luck on your project!

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/mrmike007/1971%20Dodge%20Charger%20RT%20Hemi/?action=view&current=1971DodgeChargerRTHemi-23.jpg

Edited by mrmike

i've always been a fan of the airgrabber hood, it will look sweet on here

and since were showing of or 71's...here is one i build a while ago

(not sure what kit it was since i got it without a box but it was older then the reissue your using and came with buckets and a 440)

utf-8BSU1HMDAzOTEtMjAxMDA0MTctMTE0O.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzOTItMjAxMDA0MTctMTE0O.jpg

It's a great kit, aside from the lack of options within the box. I bought mine when wally world was selling the 5 dollar checker box kits. I did mine up as a base 383 model (I had a horrible decal issue, and couldnt get them to settle down) with R/T hood, doors, and tail lamps. I used some chrome valve covers, headers, and an air cleaner from the parts box. I don't have any updated pics after I switched out the wheels for turbine mags and added dummy sidepipes for a real 70's street pounder look.

model113.jpg

model116.jpg

Edited by Casey429

Finally have a few pics...

Interior... Lemon Yellow with Black...

Charger01.jpg

Body - Black with Citron Yellow stripes...

Charger02.jpg

Charger03.jpg

Magnum 440-6 barrel engine with chrome headers...

Charger04.jpg

I did not have Citron Yellow available as a spray, so I did a color comparison between that color and Daytona Yellow I had on hand. The Daytona Y. needed to be lightened up a touch (according to my wife anyway... I have trouble with color tints...), so I used Alumna Yellow Pearl by Boyd to bring it up some. Not too shabby, just need to clean up the stripes some more.

EDIT: Ok, I'm on the fence on this. I have the front and rear bumpers soaking in Purple Power to de-chrome them, now I'm not sure if I want to do them Citron Yellow or Gloss Black. If I did Yellow, it would look pretty bright and be "factory correct" so-to-speak as it would match the color-coded bumper specs. HOWEVER, if I did them in Black it would not be factory correct (as if it was now, anyway!!!), BUT look a lot meaner, like a yellow jacket.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Drake69

Interior, good. Body, Um, I would have went with solid colors. Maybe Yellow bottom and Blacke Vinyl roof. Engine, nice. Now, bumpers. me personally, I would have left 'em chrome. That's just me. I can't have enough of chrome.

(BTW, I got my foil today, thx. Also, are all the sheets of foil that small?)

Interior, good. Body, Um, I would have went with solid colors. Maybe Yellow bottom and Blacke Vinyl roof. Engine, nice. Now, bumpers. me personally, I would have left 'em chrome. That's just me. I can't have enough of chrome.

(BTW, I got my foil today, thx. Also, are all the sheets of foil that small?)

PM'ed you on the BMF stuff.

Just shot two more pics...

Charger05.jpg

Charger06.jpg

Wood-grain interior, yellow-black scheme.