Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Beetle

The styling makes no difference to me. I am in the aftermarket parts business and let me just say that from a business perspective, I LOVE ALL VWs!

The company I work for have a ton of parts for VWs and we keep plenty busy supplying those shops that choose to work on them. Whether it is a heater core or door handle, we love it when someone buys a new VW as we will count them as a customer in 3 years when the warranty runs out.

Huh??? :blink:

Laziness? They practically re-engineered the whole car from top to bottom! New engines, new suspensions, new interiors, new everything! I don't see where the "lazy" part comes in. The new Beetle is light years ahead of the "classic" Beetle in every way you can possibly measure... power, performance, comfort, reliability. It's just a much better car. If it was "lazy engineering" that brought us the new Beetle, I guess I vote for "lazy engineers!"

Maybe you prefer the next generation Ford Focus to go back to the Model T platform???

and the Model T, a '33 Ford and Factory 5 have what in common with this thread? :huh::lol:

i thought the OP/TS and the one who just posted the Ford hot rod was also the same person requesting that this thread and topic stay "on topic"? :rolleyes:

not trying to stir any pots here, but what exactly is YOUR intention?

Not to argue with you sir....as is your intent. :( As I Quote.....

(" the bandwagon hopping cry babies that have ruined it. am i calling you names, maybe? are you offended? no, i'm not sorry and no i'm not going to apologize.")

If you have followed the engineering conversation the answer is there...Old school, with modern engineering....same as the original bug vs 2012

Don't argue with me to start your game Dave.......I have 6 less posts on this topic than you do....I found a quote and found it to be a good topic as others have proven in this thread...B):unsure: :unsure:

not argueing with you Mr.McElloitt just calling it how i see it.

this is so far been a good thread with some nice discussion and debate about the new Beetle, not much for derailment going on really. i do find it interesting that you made a request to keep the discussion "on topic" only to keep throwing pics of Fords into it? seems to me you may be just a bit confused. i also got the impression from the beginning that you, a self-professed import hater may have very well been baiting some drama and BS by starting a topic about an import car. not the first time in this thread that i've questioned what your intentions were with this thread to start with.

As I Quote.....

(" the bandwagon hopping cry babies that have ruined it. am i calling you names, maybe? are you offended? no, i'm not sorry and no i'm not going to apologize.")

not sure why you are dragging this into YOUR topic too. i called it like i saw it in that thread and apparently i hit the nail right on the head. good job on picking up that handful of mud and slinging it at yourself

You do love yourself.

I'm now an import hater???.....And it was one Ford replica picture I posted vs 3 VW pictures...You are baiting me with your behavior...so go take a time out and come back.....no you don't have to, but I'm sure you will.....

and judging by your misspelling of my name...you need specs!

You do love yourself.

I'm now an import hater???.....And it was one Ford replica picture I posted vs 3 VW pictures...You are baiting me with your behavior...so go take a time out and come back.....no you don't have to, but I'm sure you will.....

and judging by your misspelling of my name...you need specs!

Saucer of milk for table 2 :unsure:B)

Staying "on topic" ... I cross shopped a Mustang GT and a VW. Not a Beetle but a GTI. This thread isn't about a Mustang so I'll save my comments on that. And a Camaro was on my short list until I sat in it. As for a Mazda Miata being called cute? Well, maybe. But if you visited any Mazda forums you'll find 99% men driving, modifying, and racing them. Manly men dismiss much anything other than the typical Camaro, Mustang, Challenger type cars ... thats okay. Its those narrow minded people that wound up seeing my turbocharged Miata's tail end. They weren't laughing when it was over. B)

It will be VERY interesting to see where Porsche goes in the coming years if VW/Audi/Lamborghini/Bentley/Porsche can actually integrate themselves at all. So far, with only a few exceptions, the companies have basically remained fairly autonomous, and while there are shared platforms...it's on a minimal scale compared to most multi-brand automakers as the different business units fight for control.

If you think about it, concerning only AWD/rear-drive architectures, why have multiple mid-engined platforms (Caymen/Lambos/Audi R8) and several front-engined ones (Bentley/Panamera/big Audis) and the rear-engined 911 series that cover so much of the same market, but only share parts in a couple of cases? The development costs add up when everyone's working independently like that.

I could see Porsche being tapped to do common-cause engineering to pare down the number of platforms and at least come up with parts/assemblies that could be shared, if not entire platforms.

They are not going to intergrate.

My brother who works for Bentely Motors said Porsche is still treated as it's own complany and there is no crossover like VW/AUDI/BENTLEY/LAMBORGHINI has.

They also said Porsche was not going to do any more Sport Untilites and Audi was not going to do any more sports cars.

Edited by CAL

They are not going to intergrate.

My brother who works for Bentely Motors said Porsche is still treated as it's own complany and there is no crossover like VW/AUDI/BENTLEY/LAMBORGHINI has.

They also said Porsche was not going to do any more Sport Untilites and Audi was not going to do any more sports cars.

No integration? A Porsche Cayenne is a VW Touareg. The upcoming Porsche Cajun is based on the Q5/A4 platform. The upcoming Porsche 550 will be shared with the VW Bluesport and Audi R4. Its been said Porsche will be involved with chassis architecture across brands yet each will maintain their own distinctive styling.

Edited by shucky

No integration? A Porsche Cayenne is a VW Touareg. The upcoming Porsche Cajun is based on the Q5/A4 platform. The upcoming Porsche 550 will be shared with the VW Bluesport and Audi R4. Its been said Porsche will be involved with chassis architecture across brands yet each will maintain their own distinctive styling.

They (Porsche) have been asked to help on projects. Nope! Moving foward not really what you think. As far as companies. There is a lot of administration crossover from VW to Audi To Lambo To Bentley just not Porsche. Even being a Bentely employee he has no special privilages when it comes to Porsche like the other VW family makes.

Porsche will rebadge Audi SUVs but will not be involved in the development any longer that includes sedans, likewise with Audi no more development of sports cars, however didn't mention if they would rebadge any Porscehes. Porsche is specfically going to concentrate on sports cars.

They don't want to overlap resources.

There is still even the possiblity VW wont fully take-over Porsche or even at all.

Dr Porsche never wanted VW and Porsche to intergrate he always felt it would weaken the brand, and he was probably right.

Edited by CAL

If you don't think the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are girls cars then you aren't looking at the drivers as they go by...

The lion's share of these cars are produced with the V6 engine and are bought by women...

Let's see who's shorts get in a knot over that comment...

The New Beetle is a girlie car period. And what, you guys that think the old beetle was a guys car?... LMAO

Seems to me you've said 2 opposing things here in consecutive posts. I don't mean to argue the symantics of what "integration" means, but from a resource standpoint they're going to share more development going forward, and not have redundant design programs. That was exactly what I was talking about.

It doesn't matter if the company employees don't cross-pollenate between makes if the vehicles themselves are.

Since I worked there, it's famously true that Daimler Benz didn't successfully merge with Chrysler, but they certainly had pieces, parts, and platforms that got used between them...if you meant by "not integrate" only the corporate management structure at Porsche remaining separate, you may have a point but if the "separate" companies are working together to leverage economies of scale in design, engineering, and production that really doesn't sound all that separate.

I was talking internally between the companies like the other VW family not the product or technology sharing because Porsche was doing that even when they were still an Indy.

Edited by CAL

I thought we were talking about platform sharing which they most certainly do. As for the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger comment I was personally speaking about the V8 versions not the V6 stuff. Around these parts the only car of the three that I've seen women driving are Mustangs. Don't believe I've seen a woman driving any version Camaro or Challenger. I wouldn't say the new Beetle is muscular and dripping with testosterone but it certainly would not be embarrassing to drive as say the previous version. Toyota Solara, now that's embarrassing!

I like the NewEST Beetle; at least that black one with the orange wheels. No need to state how I feel about powerful Japanese cars to those of you that are familiar with my builds :) . Would I buy a kit of the NewEST Beetle? Yes. Miatas are cool as well for the potential they have. Not really all that keed on the new Passat. Looks like a smaller version of the Taurus to me. Just offering my unsolicited opinion on the subject. See you guys later; I have kits to build.