Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Beetle

Yeah, they seriously cheapened the new Jetta and the new Passat.

im on my second passat right now (a B6)

there is still the CC that is the generation after this one that will probably replace the one i have now in the future but there is no way i will buy the generation after that

no offence to any mexicans here but i refuse to buy a german car that wasnt build in germany

again,,,

my reference to low spec ..economy ..version of the beetle.. retaining it's origins ...

is far removed from the bottom of the food chain brands mentioned ..in the thread.

VW bought Skoda(once the laughin stock of the EU ... along with LADA) about 14 years ago...

My wife an I recently bought Skoda's flag ship..a fully loaded Skoda Superb...

While deciding....we did the Pepsi challange with the VW Passat and the Ford Mondeo... the Skoda won hands down on comfort economy build and very high specification.

VW launched the VW Phaeton about 6 years ago and it fell square on it's face.. the recent reincarnation of it is the Passat CC( poor man Mercedes CLS IMO).

They strive to elevate the brand.. while the brands they purchase preform better..

We love the skoda...yet I'd never buy a passat....actually I detest VW and it's drivers...for what they represent..

Jumped up yuppies.

IMO

Edited by Boreham

funny seeing how the skoda superb is a rebadged VW passat just like as much as the audi A4 is...and each of them atrack a different type of people

now, if they offerend them here i would buy a seat version hands down but since the passat is all the have (and the A4 is mucho more expensive)

it is interesting to see how the passat holds a different place in each market it is offered

funny seeing how the skoda superb is a rebadged VW passat just like as much as the audi A4 is...and each of them atrack a different type of people

now, if they offerend them here i would buy a seat version hands down but since the passat is all the have (and the A4 is mucho more expensive)

it is interesting to see how the passat holds a different place in each market it is offered

Actually, the current A4 shares nothing other than engines w/ the Passat..the Passat has a transverse engine and FWD, while the A4 has a longitudinal engine w/ AWD.

(Past generations of the Passat shared platforms w/ Audis, though, like the first generation (Dasher in the US), 2nd generation (Quantum in US) and 4th generation from about 10 years ago)

2011 passat

2011-VW-Passat-01.jpg

2011 Superb

Skoda-Superb.jpg

shares underpinnings/running gear

body and interior are different.. ;)

Edited by Boreham

2011 passat

2011-VW-Passat-01.jpg

2011 Superb

Skoda-Superb.jpg

shares underpinnings/running gear body and interior is different.. ;)

And this is the cheapened '11 Passat for NA, built in Tennessee...

2011-VW-Passat-USA-1.jpg

Of the current US market VWs, about the only ones I like are the Golf GTI and the CC...

Actually, the current A4 shares nothing other than engines w/ the Passat..the Passat has a transverse engine and FWD, while the A4 has a longitudinal engine w/ AWD.

(Past generations of the Passat shared platforms w/ Audis, though, like the first generation (Dasher in the US), 2nd generation (Quantum in US) and 4th generation from about 10 years ago)

i was going to reply that my B5.5 (2003) was a longtitudinal FWD that was available in AWD when i realized......that car is almost 10 years old ;)

funny...it seemed brand new to me

as for VW having a bad rep for quality, thats what they get for building cars in mexico

again, no offence but mexican build VW are kept out of the european market (though they do cast and assemble engine/parts there) and VW has a spotless reputation there

i never had a single issue with iether of my passats

really, the only thing i can think off to complain about was the clutch in my old passat was burned out at 90K...but that car spiked at 17 PSI and would hold 15 pounds all day long so thats kind of a chicken/egg deal :D

(and yes, after the CC the passat definatly lost some of it easthetic appeal)

no thanks, that thing is just flat ugly.

I dunno... it's not so much that it's ugly, it's just so... common. It looks like every other car in its market segment. It's one of those car "appliances" you'd never look at twice. Booooooooooo-ring....

We love the skoda...yet I'd never buy a passat....actually I detest VW and it's drivers...for what they represent..

Jumped up yuppies.

IMO

Really? I am NO "Jumped up yuppie". Lumping ppl into a social group based on what they drive is elitist, arrogant, and naive. In short, you know nothing about this Passat owner. :)

i resent that remark. why, if would call me that to my face i would break a branch of off the first tree i saw and whack you across the head with it :(

thats not a nice thing to do to a tree, especialy from a tree hugger ??????? :D:blink::lol:

chill out and have some lentals fella :lol: < or Acid :lol:

Edited by PeterC(MrMondeo)

On the topic of the 2012 VW Beetle...I like it, as it speaks to my "inner hippie". I have 2 Fords in the driveway ('00 Taurus wagon, '07 Focus), and am restoring a '67 Beetle. I really do like the next version of the Beetle (VW has dropped the "New" from the name, and did introduce it in April as the 21st Century Beetle, as was mentioned)). It will likely be one of the most customize-able cars available, as in there will be many accessories available from VW, plus an aftermarket following. The RS was the first pre-production car to be fitted with swapped parts, as was said, isn't certified for road use (no air bags, etc etc). Many of the Golf and GTI performance parts are bolt-ons.

From what I have read, there is to be 3 engines available...2.5l 5 cyl, 2.0l turbo, and the TDI clean diesel. Price starts at US$18,995 (no Canadian pricing as of yet). Here's a configurator from the VW Germany website. Shows the wheels and colours available. They will likely be different for North America.

I will seriously consider this car when they become available. Toffee Brown, 'Circle' wheels (the most retro!), and the TDI, with a manual.

Yes, I would have bought a new type 1 when they were being built and I would like to see a VW Beetle as a reliable entry-level car that is entry-level priced as well. Not much of a market for that in North America, so here we are.

Personally, I hope they sell a whole bunch of them! smile.gif

The VW styling department seems to be trying to draw the shape of rolling novacaine. I've got to say they succeeded wildly.

Unfortunately, that is the truth. For whatever reason, they've taken it upon themselves to be #1 in sales worldwide.

That's pretty much like saying they want to be the Wal Mart of car producers. Toyota...beyond boring. VW-we want to be even more boring than Toyota!

So VW's new Jetta vs. the old one...they strip it down, decontent it, make it as bland as possible, but make it bigger, advertise it as cheaper (with a loss-leader; in reality all other models are more expensive), and they see a huge rise in sales.

Make a crappier vehicle and sell more. I'm sure they're so happy with themselves. Proves that idiots will buy anything with a "boutique" label.

this says it all lol Wrecked200220Volkswagen20Jetta.jpg

that is exactly the type of tree hugging i was refering to when i was talking about taking a ford down a windy road

too bad you seemed to miss that

but...you do get points for the homefront attack

(assuming this wasnt a lucky shot)