Model Cars Magazine Forum

knowledge base

I want to support the idea of a knowledge base of basic modeling info put forth by boreham in this thread. It would be a great way to open the "How do I" section. It would save a lot of search time and repetitive questions. When you opened "How do I", the first thing you would see is: "Basics: sanding", "Basics: detail painting", "Basics: airbrushing", "Basics: glueing" etc. etc. Or maybe leave "How do I" alone and make a new category for just Basics. What do you think, guys and gals?

Edited by basher

A good idea at first glance. But if you think about it, a few issues come up:

Let's take a hypothetical example. Let's say we do add a new forum section, a knowledge base called "Back to Basics" or "Modeling Basics" or whatever.

Who decides what categories we break that down into?

Who is going to write the text?

Will it be open to anyone who wants to post? If so, we'll obviously get conflicting advice (even bad advice or flat-out wrong advice)... who is going to stay on top of that and make sure all of the content is correct? Who will be the ultimate judge as to what's the "correct" information?

Who is going to edit out duplicate/bad/wrong information?

As you can see, if this was actually going to be a helpful source of information, it can't just be a random collection of whatever everybody wants to post. It would need to be kept on top of, organized and edited on an ongoing basis.

I don't have the time to do that. Gregg doesn't, either.

So who would be the "moderator" of that section?

There are plenty of ways to get at this, and the simplest one is to have a library of links. Personally, I would just ask people to go to Brian's Model Cars.

http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/index

Or go to the tutorials at italianhorses.net. Or just get some of our members to supply their favorite links.

Edited by sjordan2

Could a Basics anything on this forum work when even "basic " requests,rules and reasonable use of english is a problem? I'd volunteer to moderate just this topic if I knew that the wise-A's would be dealt with...severely. Only when this board tightens this up,and yes, loses many members who just have no concept as to how to behave. :rolleyes::lol:

On a more positive note,just a FAQ on many repetitive topics might be a better way to go.It WOULD be up to members to read it though. :D

Yes, Skip and Mike, there are different ways this could go.

But regardless of how we did it, if it's to be a helpful and useful asset it would need a "full-time" moderator to keep things on track; otherwise it would turn into a useless mess in about a day. I guarantee it. :lol:

But regardless of how we did it, if it's to be a helpful and useful asset it would need a "full-time" moderator to keep things on track; otherwise it would turn into a useless mess in about a day. I guarantee it. :lol:

I see your point, Harry. You would know better than anyone, considering what you have to deal with. Too bad, tho.

I see your point, Harry. You would know better than anyone, considering what you have to deal with. Too bad, tho.

Hugh, I don't mean that it can't work.... what I mean is if it will work, it would need a full-time moderator. We can't just throw everyone's posts into the mix and hope for the best... that would be a huge mess.

We would need a person who was willing to keep things organized.

While this seems to be a good suggestion - I would recommend the message board search as a very reasonable solution. I have almost always found everything I was looking for.

This is a build by a forum member. It covers some very sound basic building skills. I have found it helpful.

Mr Obsessive's '49 Merc build

Edited by seeker589

Could a Basics anything on this forum work when even "basic " requests,rules and reasonable use of english is a problem? I'd volunteer to moderate just this topic if I knew that the wise-A's would be dealt with...severely. Only when this board tightens this up,and yes, loses many members who just have no concept as to how to behave. :rolleyes::lol:

On a more positive note,just a FAQ on many repetitive topics might be a better way to go.It WOULD be up to members to read it though. :D

it's known as the World Wide Web. all different things happen here. just roll with it!

I recall Mark Taylor putting together a very nice "basics" tutorial for some of our less experienced modelers about a year or so ago. Assuming that it can still be found, do you think it might be useful?

Who decides what categories we break that down into?

That's the easy part:

Parts Preparation (including how to remove parts from sprue, removing mold lines, etc)

Painting

Decals

General Assembly Tips (what types of glue to use, etc)

Detailing Engines

Detailing Interior

Suspension Modifications

Parts Sources

Supplies and Tools

That's the easy part:

Parts Preparation (including how to remove parts from sprue, removing mold lines, etc)

Painting

Decals

General Assembly Tips (what types of glue to use, etc)

Detailing Engines

Detailing Interior

Suspension Modifications

Parts Sources

Supplies and Tools

I'd add a few to that list. Starting with research. How to do a google image search for reference photos. You'd be surprised how many people don't make use of that tool, or don't even know how to do a google search.

Also, what about how to work with aftermarket pieces like resin and photoetched parts?

I don't think "Suspension Modifications" needs to be a category. But I do think there would need to be a category that covers basic body modifications like chopping tops, using putty and fillers, etc.

Not to be a wet blanket, but there are so many other websites and Google-available resources, I don't know why MCM should have to incorporate this stuff into the site in addition to everything that's here.

In fact, much of this stuff has passed through this website over time, but the sad fact is that modelcarsmag.com has a TOTALLY USELESS search function. If you're looking for an answer to something, I suggest using the search function at scaleautomag.com, which is pretty good.

...but the sad fact is that modelcarsmag.com has a TOTALLY USELESS search function.

Sorry, but I HAVE to disagree on this one. Totally useless?

After you do a search - you still have to sort and find the right info - wheather you are searching Google, dogpile, altavista or MCM search.

I find that the time spent while using the MCM search is almost equal to using a general web search. At least at the MCM site you are guaranteed the meat of the subject will address car building and you have a established source to answer questions.

When I want more info I use both MCM and general web searches.

Edited by seeker589

but the sad fact is that modelcarsmag.com has a TOTALLY USELESS search function.

"Totally useless" may be a little strong, but it does reflect why I brought this up in the first place. As a rookie, I hate to keep asking questions that I know have been answered many times before. I know most of what I would ask is already here, but finding it can be difficult. I was hoping to help make things a little easier for everyone, but I see now that it's not so easy in practice. Then again, maybe if us newbies didn't ask a bunch of questions, nobody would have anything to do!

Edited by basher