Model Cars Magazine Forum

My DM800 done, well almost

This is the first kit I have built in a number of years, really enjoyed it. Got a lot of stuff going on in the near future, but eventually I want to scratch build an old school low boy for it.

Take care, Mark

DSC04165.jpg

DSC04163.jpg

DSC04162.jpg

DSC04161.jpg

DSC04160.jpg

I really like how the paint turned out on this one, and de-chroming 90% of the parts made a huge differnce.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. I really like the very heavy Macks of this era, this model is very loosely based on one that still operates in New Jersey. I want to do another one but it will have to wait for a C500 project I want to start very soon.

Oh, that pot is only 45 or 50 tons! LOL

Mark

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I really like the old DM800's, will do another one eventually. One thing I WILL change is to machine a metal front axle assembly. The kit one, while only 40 years old, keeps breaking. I think partially from its age, and some from the weight of those big resin wheels and tires.

If you ever get the chance to see one of these heavy DMs go see it. There are a few that still operate from time to time in NJ, they are massive, tires are 4.5 feet in diameter, the truck is a wide load by itself, +/- 9 feet wide. They are definately from a different era of road/bridge weight regulations, but they get the job done!

Mark