Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint booth

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can hook up a wet/dry vac to your paint booth instead of buying an exhaust fan and the duct work. I've heard pros and cons in using a bathroom exhaust fan. I built a good sized boothe amd just need to vent it out. Thanks.

How much is your health and safety worth?

When you look at it like that, a Pace spray booth is inexpensive.

What John said! You want to use your shop vac for exhaust? Well, I don't know about your's, but I have a Shop Vac brand wet/dry vacuum at work, which has a bright orange warning label on it--warning the user to NOT use it for picking up any sort of flammable liquids or vapors! This is because such vacuums have electric motors having a commutator and brushes, which are open to the surrounding air, and use the air flowing through the unit to cool the motor (whatever air goes through it flows "over, under, around and through" the motor--perfect for an explosion which if it doesn't injure or kill you, can certainly spoil your day, by burning down your house around you0.

That said, a properly designed small spray booth is not that expensive. I, like "Mr Can Am Garage" have a Pace Peacemaker spray booth. This has a sealed motor attached to a high efficiency "squirrel cage" blower, which puts that sealed motor COMPLETELY outside the air stream flowing though the blower--in other words, EXPLOSION PROOF. In addition, this unit uses a commonly available high-efficiency HVAC filter (replacements are available at home improvement stores, lumberyards, even WalMart) for not a lot of coin; and in the bargain, the unit is literally whisper-quiet.

These are set up to use an ordinary dryer hose and vent to duct the vapors from the paint being used outdoors. OK, so you don't want to cut a hole in the side of the house? I made a "plug" for the sash window in my model room from a commonly available high-density particle board shelf that I cut to fit snugly between the sides of the window frame, the sash being raised, plug put in place, sash lowered to hold it in place. You will need a 4.25" hole saw for your electric drill (cheaper if you know someone who already has such a hole cutter, and a dryer vent and hose kit (mine cost me all of $7.99 at Menard's!).

All this is a one time purchase--such a spray booth should last you DECADES, so the longer you have and use it, the less money per day/week/month/year it will have cost you to own. But more importantly, it is there to protect not only your environment (no overspray paint dust everywhere--nor any smell either), but also your health and safety.

Think about it pretty seriously. Here's the link http://www.pacepaintbooths.com/pace/

Art

I went into my local hobby shop one afternoon and the manager, whom I usually stop and talk to was chatting with a fella who was in a full leg cast. Ankle to hip. After the fella left I inquired as to the guys injuries while the manager was ringing up my purchase. He had been using an old metal cannister type shop vac as his paint booth exhaust. Worked great for a couple of years and then one day, BANG!!

The guy awoke in the hospital with a broken right femur, a destroyed right knee and .............a ruptured right testicle. :D The motor/lid of the vac had come flying off with enough force to break his femur! :huh:

I figure you've gotten the point by now. Just save your pennies for a while and buy the right tool for the job.

Paasche has a relatively inexpensive galvanized paint booth that sometimes gets dropped in price to around $125 ~ $150, down from $400.

WORTH. EVERY. PENNY.

EDIT: This is the one you'd want...

http://www.amazon.com/Paasche-HSSB-22-16-Hobby-22-Inch-18-Inch/dp/B0038DANR6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312317703&sr=8-2

Edited by Drake69

Found the Paasche HSSB-22 for $185 plus shipping ~ $16. I'll be doing more investigation on this puppy in the morning.

From the Amazon site:

Not intended for use with hazardous materials, flammable or explosive paints or materials.

Seems like a strange warning for an item sold as a "hobby spray booth."

:blink:

From the Amazon site:

Not intended for use with hazardous materials, flammable or explosive paints or materials.

B)

If we can verify that the Paashe has a squirrel cage motor (motor outside airstream) it should be safe enough. Can anyone whos got one verify?

From the Amazon site:

B)

kinda like that warning on a pack of cigarettes or the side of a McDonalds coffee cup, huh?

kinda like that warning on a pack of cigarettes or the side of a McDonalds coffee cup, huh?

Warning on a pack of cigarettes that they cause cancer: true.

Warning on a McDonald's coffee cup that the coffee is hot: goofy, but again, true.

Seems to me that a paint booth that was safe to use with hobby paints would NOT have a warning that it's unsafe to use with hobby paints.

Seems to me that a paint booth that was safe to use with hobby paints would NOT have a warning that it's unsafe to use with hobby paints.

I would tend to agree with that, but then again, they don't really specify what type of hobby paint it is compatable with. It could be aimed at hobbyists that use water base or non flammable materials, like some inks, to airbrush with, rather than the enamels, laquers, and alcohol based acrylics that we tend to use. At least that's my theory on it. Would be nice if they were more specific.

I will admit, I'm hesitant to get one myself, mainly due to the cost. If i can find a good deal on one, I may consider it.

I would tend to agree with that, but then again, they don't really specify what type of hobby paint it is compatable with. It could be aimed at hobbyists that use water base or non flammable materials, like some inks, to airbrush with, rather than the enamels, laquers, and alcohol based acrylics that we tend to use.

Well, yeah, that's what I think. But a spray booth that carries a specific warning that it is NOT safe to use with flammable paints is NOT a good choice for any car modeler, because we use flammable paints (enamels and lacquers) all the time!

Any model car builder who thinks this paint booth is a good one to buy better think twice.

I agree with you 100% on that. It's not worth saving a few bucks if you're putting your life at risk.

I guess I'm somewhat fortunate that I have a place where i can paint all I want without bothering anyone, as I do all my hobby building/painting in a separate garage from the house. A paint booth would be nice to have, though. Like i said, if I can find a good deal on a proper paint booth (like a Pace), I would consider it. Alternatively, if I can find the right exhaust fan, I may consider building my own.

I own one... and it DOES run the fumes through the motor system...

BUT, I did extensive research on this booth and there has never been an instance of exploding using any spray paints. The motor is supposedly insulated so that no metal sparking is produced, which causes the explosions. The caveat is also on Paasche's webpage, and I have a feeling it's there for their "legal" protection more than anything.

There are other booths out there (just saw a plastic one for $90 with a side motor, not sure about the airflow though...), so definitely do your research.

EDIT: When I spray a model I let the system vent for 4~5 minutes after I've finished to allow it to vent cleaner air through as well. It's never had a problem, and cleaning and filter changes are easy.

Edited by Drake69

If we can verify that the Paashe has a squirrel cage motor (motor outside airstream) it should be safe enough. Can anyone whos got one verify?

I have thatbooth and have used it for 10 yrs without problems. The fan is a Dayton style blower and is absolutely safe. Amazon is just being overkill. Paasche sells this for airbrushing with no such warnings. I use airbrushes and Krylon or Duplicolor spray cans without issue. I do not care what anybody says about Pace this Paasche is the best buy there is for the size and how it's constructed. I use a 20" X 20" Furnace Filter in mine.

Grainger has the Dayton PSC blower #1TDR7 for $155.00. Drillspot.com has it for $141.92. That's supposed to be the right fan for a homemade spray booth.

What good would the Paasche booth be if you can't shoot the right kind of paint through it?

From Paasche's own web site: This product is intended for use with water based or non flammable paint.

From all other vendor's web pages: Not intented for use with hazardous materials, flammable or explosive paints or materials.

On an airbrush forum I read that paint booths with brushless motors (the kind that are safe to use with flammable or explosive fumes) are pretty expensive, and that many hobbyists would not buy an expensive paint booth, so some manufacturers began to offer cheaper booths with regular motors. But since these booths were not safe to use with flammable paints they included the warning that I posted.

So the phrase is buyer beware.

If the booth you want to buy includes a warning that it's not safe for use with flammable paints, think about it. There's a reason that warning is there.