Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jungle Jim Tribute, MOPAR Style

Nitrozilla

Gracias for your el supporto and sense of humouro Brett and all.

Here's a quickie because I just had to share this with everybody.

I've done a mockup of the rear window. It's a miniaturized JJ Camaro for now. I'll take a pic of the model when it is done and use that as a decal, instead.Then, I'll grind out a "burnout cloud" in the glass behind the car image.

If a real car was doing a burnout, the smoke would come billowing thru the rear window behind the decal car.

I think this is an original idea. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Still kewl nonetheless.

2007-01-12002-1.jpg

Lemme see if I got dis right. Putty, sand, primer, (Ewwwww, yuck), more putty, additional sanding, additional primer, (Eh, could be worse), coat of Tamiya Gold TS-21, (OMG, it got worse), color sanding, second coat of gold, (now we're talkin' !! Wonder what a gold JJ car would look like?).

Light mist coat of Tamiya Metallic Blue TS-19, (Not impressed), next coat of blue, (I can see myself in the shine), wet coat of blue, (OOOOOOooooooo, pretty. I can see myself and the homes around me in the shine), first coat of Krylon Gloss coat, (I can see Canada in the shine).

Decaling starts soon. Going to work on the wheelie bars in the meantime.

2007-01-13008.jpg2007-01-13010.jpg2007-01-13009.jpg2007-01-13011.jpg

Scale-Master, thanx for looking in and asking the same question I was recently asking myself. I used to build car models back in the olden days. For the last 25 years, I've been building Sci-Fi and Starships. Since a lot of them were varying shades of grey or other solid colors, I forgot my old car paint skills so I have to work off of those (defective) memories. I remember candy colors needed a silver or gold undercoat. Thought the same might apply to a metallic. It was obvious from the first coat that it wasn't needed. I'm glad I did it though because primer wasn't showing some defects and the gold color sanding made EVERYTHING show up.

Luis, si.

And here are the aforementioned wheelie bars. I made new brackets that will attach to the rear axle mounts. Drill 6 holes (four for each strut and two for the cross brace, add some tubing and there you have it. Paint and final assembly next and maybe, just maybe some decals.

2007-01-13013.jpg2007-01-13012.jpg2007-01-13015.jpg2007-01-13014.jpg2007-01-13016.jpg

i find it ironic that your monitor is from a company called "Balance" and it seems to be precariously perched atop some wire rack sort of thing. :huh:

Actually Dave, what's ironic is that the rack is made of iron. Would you believe it's a simple magazine rack turned on it's side? And, it was free.

Edited by Batzilla

Thanx for that Brett. Hey, I sent summer your way. Did it get there yet? I wanna go tour Hobbiton when the weather's nice. Too bad I'm, like, 146,000 miles away. (Yeah, I Googled Waikato.) I may be off on the mileage, but it would take at least a week to drive there from Las Vegas, right?

Well, I was kinda' thinkin' that these decal pics are like a movie spoiler. But ya' know what? I have been having Flash Forwards about what this is gonna' look like when it's done and I gotta' say, "I'M FREAKIN" OUT !!!" Good thing this is supposed to be fun, otherwise I'd be feeling guilty about now.

2007-01-14005.jpg2007-01-14007.jpg2007-01-14008.jpg2007-01-14006.jpg2007-01-14009.jpg

Yea I think that weather trick may have worked, much warmer last few days than it has been. MUCH appreciated. Yeah your mileage maybe off by a couple of miles :P , may take longer than a week though unless you know the route the oil tankers use to get here :P cause re-fueling could be an issue.

Car's looking great, I have a spare set of them there decals so you've got me thinking now :D , though I'll probably go hemi powered chevy bodied doorslammer with mine.

Yeah Richard, no Pam model either, not enuff putty to make her look anatomically correct. I checked with the people who make Sculpy and they said they've never handled an order that large before.

Brett, gonna hafta' postpone that trip to Hobbiton. I'm so close to completion here that I can hear the Deora Transporter / Hauler calling my name.

Got all decaling done and a few coats of clear laid down. Pulled the tape, lot's of flash to remove around the windows, but the inside faired better than I had hoped. Minimal touch up before installation of the tinwork, glass, etc. Also need to finish the wheelie bars, attach the hatch, pop on the chutes, et al. (Tee-Hee. Attach the hatch, pop the chutes. Tee-Hee.)

BTW, there's a sponsor decal that has never been on a Jungle car before. Can u spot it?

2007-01-15005.jpg2007-01-15002.jpg2007-01-15003.jpg2007-01-15004.jpg

Richard, didn't you not only mention, but actually say something about, ehem, that stuff? I thought so. Careful observation will get you far in life.

Today wasn't a total write - off, but really close. Started off by cleaning paint flash from the masking job. Spent another 5 minutes painting the wheelie bars. Next, a lesson learned the hard way from the Chi-Town car. If you use the window border decals, get rid of the molded in window rivets. Otherwise, when the decal goes on, Solvaset or not, you've got a mountain range. Another 15 minutes to clean up the front windshield and side windows. An animal would scrape them off one at a time with an X-acto blade, but a professional modeler would mask the window and use a sanding stick. Now, where's my knife?

This is where my day got eaten alive by the model from an unmentionable place. The Gods of Modeldom did not smileth upon my brow. Yay verily tho didst they smack my brow and expected me to say, "May I have some more, please?"

I went thru 10 different rear windshield configurations and finally hit it with the "NHRA Top 50 Drivers" logo, of which our boy Jim is #17. And I managed to botch my first attempt at that one by missing placement on a vent hole.

Other options were, drill out a heart shaped vent so it would have "JJ (heart) JP" or, the number 17 ground out as a vent. I wanted the car number to be 17, but didn't have a matching 7 to go with the 1.

KK, enough belly aching for one nite Mr. Zilla. Mannana. (No Luis, I don't have a Spanish keyboard with the little wavy dohickey.)

2007-01-17002.jpg2007-01-17001.jpg

Edited by Batzilla