Model Cars Magazine Forum

1980's Toyota Celica-Supra WIP *engine bay/firewall detailed!*

brodie_83

very interesting build for sure. We had an 87 Supra and loved it...until winter LOL I someday plan to build that one too.

The line on the roof is because the paint is hot. You might be able to cover it with some mist coats. When that happens to me I tend to strip it and start over. If you use a good primer (like Plastikote) and put the color coats in in light mist coats, you might not get that line again. The other alternative is to seal it with a coat of future before you prime it.

Nice build for sure. I can't believe I haven't see this yet.

Eh, it's already cleared and everything...I think I'm just gonna leave the roof. Won't be able to see it unless you're playing with the ###### thing. LoL it's the first mishap of the entire kit, which is a miracle! Now I have to get a polishing kit and sand the clear down to get rid of the rough looking clear finish. I washed the model with dish soap and water, air dryed it, then used all Duplicolor products on the body/bumpers...primer, color and clear. I thought it was a safe bet, but apparently I was wrong. I'll have to do the Future coat before priming next time.

I'm actually saving the turbo parts for a future build...sorry. If I find another kit, I'll part with one of the turbo parts from one of the kits.

Well it's been awhile since I did an update (still trying to figure out what I want to do with the roof of the car, and waiting on parts). The Parts Box parts finally showed up and they look great! I'm going to finish the engine with the wired distributor and such, and hopefully finish the body. I'd like to be done with this build this weekend, but we'll see. I'm going to start working on it again in a few minutes, so I'll be updating this later.

I'm going to have to respray the hood anyhow, so I might as well do the roof too. I tried wet sanding the hood today...problem is, I only had 800 grit and I went through to the plastic on the very back of the hood. C r a p...

Edited by brodie_83

I also found someone that is going to trade me my Fujimi Celica 2.8GT "High Mechanism" kit for another MPC Supra kit so I can make a replica of my 1:1 Celica GT-S with some modifications. I'll have to build a front bumper from scratch and remove the Supra headlights, and I got someone to make me an 22R-E engine/trans, so it should be a fairly simple custom build.

I'm starting back to the beginning on the body/hood/rear bumper/firewall. The firewall I completely forgot to paint, so that's included in the re-spray. I also forgot about the moonroof cover, so I glued that to the roof, and took a lot of the roof down to the plastic. I already primed everything, but I just primed the roof of the car, the rear bumper and the firewall. The hood I just scuffed and painted. The first coat of paint went on the hood, firewall and bumper. I'm not going to paint the body yet...I'm going to wait for primer to completely cure and sand it down, apply one more coat of primer, then paint the body. I'll get everything else painted/cleared today though.

Primed:

057.jpg

058.jpg

059.jpg

061.jpg

I'll get some painted/cleared pics up later.

Good call! So I uploaded all the other pictures I took, plus a few I just took while I was doing the ignition wires. I finished clearing the hood, firewall and rear bumper. I started painting the body with one mist coat, going to go downstairs and put down the 2nd coat. Here's what I have so far...

Roof in primer:

057.jpg

Firewall and rear bumper in primer:

058.jpg

Rear bumper:

059.jpg

Edited by brodie_83

Yeah...I just wish that my car was a Celica "Supra" and not just a Celica, but at least it's a GT-S. I can't wait to build my replica!

So I checked on the parts that I cleared and they looked pretty good and were dry to the touch a lot faster than last time I cleared them, so I took them out and took some pics. I'm very happy with how the clear came out this time...should be easier to wetsand and buff.

068.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

073.jpg

The body is cleared and curing in the heater room, along with the other parts. The "mishap" in the roof came back, but barely noticeable. I guess next time I'll have to try the Future polish for a barrier. Along with the built-up paint and clear coat, a lot of the detail on the body has been filled, but not bad enough to where it looks bad. I'm actually pretty happy with the outcome. Once everything dries and cures, the detail might come back a little. I guess we'll see. Anyways, here's the finished cleared body and the finished ignition wiring:

077.jpg

080.jpg

081.jpg

083.jpg

085.jpg

086.jpg

Thanks guys, I started detail painting in the engine bay (just on the strut towers), and will continue in a few days...won't have time tomorrow with a Tuesday night car meet. I'm going to find some pics on the forums of the engine bay on these cars and do as close detailing as I can. This is the fun part...I love painting engine bays and wiring and such! I just hope everything mates together alright...

Nah, I don't think it's a crack. Not sure what it is because I've never run into this problem. Anyways, it's very small now and will hopefully polish away. Speaking of polishing, I'm hopefully going to get out of work at a decent time and get some sandpaper so I can get the ball rolling on the kit again. I can work on it tonight and Sunday...Saturday I'm going down to my parent's place to celebrate my b-day early.