Model Cars Magazine Forum

!/8th Offset Sprint Car

Styrene and fiberglass. I trying to learn working styrene to get bends without using flame heat, just friction and body heat. I'm having some good luck so far. Ken

Now are you using 3/16" Rod or Styrene tubing? Is there somewhere I can read up on this Friction/Body Heat technique? Because I use flame and you have to know where to hold the plastic and how far from the flame or you get a limp section and have to start all over again. This process sounds intriguing..... inquiring minds want to know more!

I use styrene tube most of the time. It holds a bend better and is easy to splice ( with a smaller rod inside). The friction deal is just my trail and error method of repeating the bend slowly until it stays in shape (using body heat and friction) Massage the thing, over and over and it will get there. A tubing bender works good on rod or tube. Sorry, no black magic here, just the will to do it.

I use styrene tube most of the time. It holds a bend better and is easy to splice ( with a smaller rod inside). The friction deal is just my trail and error method of repeating the bend slowly until it stays in shape (using body heat and friction) Massage the thing, over and over and it will get there. A tubing bender works good on rod or tube. Sorry, no black magic here, just the will to do it.

Darn, I thought you had some Jedi Mind trick thing that maybe a young padawan could learn :) . I find that when I bend the styrene, it still likes to flex back to a point where when I use flame once it cools you are golden because it doesn't try and reshape itself.