Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 70.5 ADRL Extreme Pro Mod Camaro Update: 6/4 addition of wheelie bar

I thought I would post a quick update for everyone on the work I did yesterday and early this morning so I could finish it up. Needless to say I have over 10hrs of work in the Mock up and fab of the pedal assembly and Hand brake. Everything functions, just like on a 1:1 clutch pedal with linkage, and the brake pedal connected to hand brake. I fabed up the brake handle and laminated the pistol grip just like a real one would have two separate pieces, only thing I have to finish is drilling the two small holes in the grip for the aluminum rod to look like screws.

I don't think everything will fit, so first I will throw up the pictures. Then if you have any interest, I have also made a small clip so you can see the parts in motion.

Let me know what you think, because my eyes are paying the price now. Oh.. and Scale Hardware will be seeing an order from me soon!... Darn screws and nuts go flying when your tweezers snap shut.. :lol::D LOL

I even when as far as to lighten up the pivots for the pedal assembly by drilling the holes around the rod to match the 1:1 reference I have.

Close up Picture:

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3588.jpg

pic of the Hand Brake with pistol grip, with the connections to the brake pedal and you can see the fabed brackets as well.

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3590.jpg

Thanks guys for stopping in and checking out my latest updates. If any of my pictures or videos help out, I am glad I could help.

My poor little thumbs are screaming bloody murder. Man those small details.. Why do the small things always cause more pain? Lol

Edited by eviltwincustoms

looks incredible bart! you do realize that now, the master cyl. needs to work? hehe.

Thanks Dave, my brain is just a smoking with idea's.... my thoughts are to make the bracket for the master cylinder and bracket on the pedal. Then have it so the plunger part of the master cylinder will function with the pedal. Now just need a way to pour in the blood, sweat and tears instead of brake fluid and will be good to go!

Hopefully the salt wont corrode anything as it circulates through the system! LOL

Tyrone, Joe (Batzilla), Darryl, Brett, Joe (Prostreet), Wayne and Scott... Thank you all for the wonderful words of encouragement, it means a lot. If anything at all, my hopes are that the detail inspires others to spread their wings and venture outside of their comfort zone and try things that they normally wouldn't do on a build.

I spent countless hours trying to figure out how to combine metal and styrene due to the fact that plastic/styrene tubing "OD" and "ID" diameters will not work together. Then trying to figure out how to do Tube inside of Tube to set up my clutch and brake to function. I had a headache, and just had to set down and start mocking things up. :wacko:

What threw me off was my darn Tranny section where I built my uprights to bend inward and up. This caused fitment issues with my linkages. So one, detail caused a chain reaction of other issues. Oh well.... we live and learn, and I can say that I am learning a lot on this project.

After reading Greg (stump) and Joe (Prostreet)'s threads about waiting to run the top of the cage, I see why now! I had to take mine apart on the drivers side so I could get to things because of my hands.

Bart, are those RB motion ends and rod?

yep... RB Motion Heim joints from my 1/25 scale build, I used some of the larger ones (I think they are part# 1504). I also have the 1506's for the front a-arms. The SS tubing that comes with them are to small. Since I use to dabble in Slot Car building of chassis, I had extra Stainless Steel tubing laying around in different lengths.

The linkage going up to the clutch can for the fork, is to small and will need to be swapped out the next time a tear it down.

Bart, this is ridiculously cool! Your work on this is nothing short of phenomenal! I can't wait to see the end results...it's gonna be a reference for any future build like this for sure!

Thanks Mike for the kind words... I appreciate you saying my stuff can be used as reference materials for future builds... but I have to say that there are quite a few builders on here that, I could easily put them in this same category way above me.

Ok, without further a due here is the video of the Working door lock. In the resting position the door would be locked. When the handle is pulled back towards the driver (unlocked position).

Let me know what you thing. As well again, Thanks to Wayne for the great suggestion of using Lock springs, they are a compression type and actually much better than I was thinking originally in going with the extension type. This way it doesn't put undue stress on the PE door lever.

(Just click on the picture and it will start the video through Photobucket)

th_MVI_3441.jpg

WAYY COOOL Bart! genious!

Fantastic work! do you use a jig for your cages?

Thanks Bill for the compliment! I don't use a jig per say, because each car chassis/cage would be different based on the car. On the first page, you can see the board with lines. I use that to make sure my frame is straight and sits directly to the specific rise height as it sets. This way I know without a doubt it will be at the height I need when finished.

Really the body dictates your cage for you. Especially with resin bodies, because some are not symmetrical from left to right side of center.

Edited by eviltwincustoms

Bart!!... You are totally killling this build. Holy Smokes you have taken it to a different level with all of the moving linkages. I really like the work you have done here. Your craftmanship is out of this world. I need to step up my game now ;) You are setting the bar way up there B) Keep up the grea work bud and can't wait to see your next update.