Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 70.5 ADRL Extreme Pro Mod Camaro Update: 6/4 addition of wheelie bar

Bart, excellent progress. The 4 link brackets look awesome. Take care of your back. Don't rush getting back to the bench to spend hours if doing so aggravates your condition. I'm a lawyer and I've handled hundreds of back cases, talked to many doctors and reviewed thousands of medical records. I've had a herniated disc for about 6 years and I, like others, made it worse by rushing to return to activities that I engaged in before my injury. I'm sure your doctor has told you all this but sometimes it helps to hear it from another sympathetic mouth. Get some physical therapy and aggressively pursue it. We'll be here waiting for you when you get back to bench.

Thanks Guys for the very positive feedback,

Phantom1 - Thanks Henry! You and me both, I can't wait to get some paint on that rear housing. As soon as I finish up getting my ride height set and my rear end complete I will be shooting it with paint. I want to make sure I dont need to touch in very much once I put paint on it. That darn Alclad paint rubs off way to easy.

Prostreet - Joe, talk about shaky hands.... that is me as well. I had my small tweezers and just going to town. That Zap a Gap CA, with these small pieces doesn't set up fast enough! LOL I was getting frustrated because I would end up with CA on my brass parts and my tweezers wouldn't open up. :D Thanks for the complement, you know me I spend way to much time worrying about the small details!

Dragracer - Richard, Thanks for the kind words and thinking about my health... when I was younger, I always told my dad I would never be like him and get my back injured. Being young and naive doesn't help...lol having worked in the warehouse environment for way to many years before my current job kinda drove my back problems.

Tyrone - not sure how you do it, but man I have a hard enough time trying to keep up with you and your skills. Thanks bud for the complement!

Mooneyzs - Chris, Thanks much for the positive reinforcement, you know it gets frustrating at times having to tear things back apart. I think that is some of the reason why I have slowed down on this project... Read on for what I had to do below. LOL :lol::D As for the brass, I used K&S .015" thickness which puts me really close to that 1/4" thickness on a 1:1. I am really psyched about my next update to show everyone... but I will wait till I get my tubing built back up for everything I had to tear back out. Maybe I will take some pics of what it torn apart... LOL

Baddgas - Derrick, Thanks man I am glad you like what you see!.... I know I am slow on update.. but what about your build? Any updates for the rest of us followers?

Comp1839 - Dave, Thanks, man I guess I should have asked you some time back to be more specific about that dimension you provided to me when you were building your Camaro... So I wouldn't have had to tear my chassis back apart. LOL... I sort of knew it looked to wide in the back, and feared that I was gonna have to tear into it sooner or later.

Memysel - Thanks for stopping in! You ask how I sleep at night, some times I have to ask myself that question because I have idea's running through my head on how I am going to try and do something. Just like last night I was up way past my regular bed time... didn't get to bed until 1:00am which is unusual for me. Had my car torn down way to far and wanted my rear end mounted up with Shocks in place... so I kept saying just 30 more minutes.... and when I looked up I say ######... it is late, but I have to finish getting my shocks mounted!

parr7226 - Rick, Thank you for your kind words and your advice. I completely understand what you are saying, I have been seeing a chiropractor for the last 4 months and I am doing better. I think that having to look down for long periods of time does aggravate my issue. I stare at multiple monitor screens over 10hrs a day, 5 days a week and have to be mindful of not slouching, just because of my neck and back. Very frustrating that something so small plays such an important in your daily life can turn things upside down. :wacko:

Just a small update, no pics sorry!

I have been pounding my head up against the wall after putting the rear end in my chassis. Needless to say I had to tear the entire back half off and rebuild most of it due to being to wide.

I also wanted to swap out my 4 link brackets for the brass ones, and had to make some changes to my Main HOOP causing me to rip out my entire funny car cage. So back to the drawing board I go... But hey, I got my Rear end set at ride height with all 4 links mounted and even my rear Shocks mounted up after redoing the back half! So at least I have made some movement... LOL :D I think you can call it movement, after having to redo 35% of my chassis work.

Thanks guys for checking in and providing the complements, I feel good about the changes and how things are rolling. I have high hopes to have most of the chassis back together again, where I was originally and on its own feet in the coming days. Hopefully in the next couple of days, but we will see. :D

Looks great Bart, 1 question. What will you hook your Anti-roll bar to? or are you making a separate mount on the rear?

Joe that is a great question, one that I knew I needed to have a mounting point on the rear end housing but totally forgot about where it would go. So I have remedied that issue and have my mount on the chassis with the set up pretty much complete. Just have to get my Rod ends from Rob. If all if it comes together without a hitch it should look like I meant to do what I did... lol

Thanks Dave, I almost wan'ted to scrap my entire project and start over! LOL... j/k, I thought I was gonna have to find a smiley Icon slapping a face for Joe. LOL

Now Rom.... you know you can't set back for to long... you have a NEW project that you have to get to work on very soon! :D

Hey now Jack that isn't fair! lol.... just kidding, if anything that I have done helps you out in any way please feel free to steal/copy away!

On a side note, DirtModeler pinged me and I provided him with some measurements of the printed MW 11" Modular rear end housing. So he is working on some updated 4 link housing brackets to fit this piece.

Edited by eviltwincustoms

Thanks Dave, I almost wan'ted to scrap my entire project and start over! LOL... j/k, I thought I was gonna have to find a smiley Icon slapping a face for Joe. LOL

Now Rom.... you know you can't set back for to long... you have a NEW project that you have to get to work on very soon! :D

Hey now Jack that isn't fair! lol.... just kidding, if anything that I have done helps you out in any way please feel free to steal/copy away!

On a side note, DirtModeler pinged me and I provided him with some measurements of the printed MW 11" Modular rear end housing. So he is working on some updated 4 link housing brackets to fit this piece.

Great idea on the plates !

I need to explore pro-extreme class

Bart, this is going beyond awesome mate..........waaaaay beyond. :blink: B) B) B)

Glad you sorted out the drama concerning your rear. :lol:Ah, sorry, bad attempt at humour..... :mellow: ;)

And I'm with Jack, I'm saving all your pics as perfect reference for my next build (70 ProMod Camaro) which is already on the planning board. :)

Just a small update for everyone, after redoing the rear chassis and the funny car cage I started working on the Anti sway bar linkage. I have one side mocked up and will leave the other side off so I can get the tube out for paint and clear.

I mocked up my Brass arms after the Quartermax Pro Series Anti-sway bar kit they sell. Thanks to Dirtmodeler's brass 4 link brackets, I was able to modify them to work for what I needed. Then the usual RB Motion Rod ends and stainless tubing and this is what I ended up with.

IMG_3667.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

Very nice Bart. Looks like it's going together pretty well.

What size of S.S. tubing are you using for your 4 bar links?

Clay

Thanks Clay for the props!

The tubing I am using is from my old Slot Car Drag racing days.... I had some left over 0.072 and 0.082, so I used both since they are really close to the 1 1/4" and the 1 3/8" tubing I am seeing in Quartermax Racing catalog for the Heavy Duty Pro 4link bar kit.

The suspension (notice I didn't say......LOL!) looks good Bart!

Richard - Thanks for the complement, much appreciated! I wouldn't want one of the moderators to censor the thread talking about my rear end! LOL :D

Looks Awesome Bart......

Tyrone, thanks for the KUDO's it keeps me going. I like to show updates so others have plenty of reference materials. :) You are on your way to an awesome chassis build on your 57 Chevy as well my man!