Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Chevrolet Impala- Finished

Nick Winter

I've been feeling Nostalgic, Especially after my Great Uncle passed last week, hearing stories of the "Old Days" from friends and family, and watching old home movies and seeing cars with shape and most important a Sound! that dosen't sound like a Summer Breeze when it accelerates. Seeing Fins, Bullet lights And CHROME! But most of all to me, a time when Cars, and Women were shapely and had class, and neither contained more than 40% plastic.

So I pulled these guys out, my First Build and a fresh kit of the same release as my first build containing the parts I've located to make it as close as I can, but with my new skills added.

GEDC0513.jpg

GEDC0518.jpg

GEDC0531.jpg

So Far we have more detail already, I actually used the kit suspension.

GEDC0531.jpg

And the Steering Works!

GEDC0527.jpg

Edited by Nick Winter

Hey Nick, thats a cool build! Its always interesting, to build the first ever built model with technics from today.

My first us-kit was the 58 impala too - and it has always a special place in my collection. Never sold or destroyed.

work on, i'll be watching your steps ;)

• 1 month later...

Well I'm back on it. Got my '57 finished in time for the show, and got my Parts Pack slicks. Thinking I'll glue the doors shut, never been a big fan of opening doors, maybe version 3.0. Got my wheels and tires ready, sanded my slicks, painted the thin whitewall on the fronts.

GEDC0886.jpg

GEDC0887.jpg

for a bit of a change I'm thinking of painting it like this.

58chev51522-1-1.jpg

Nick

Speaking of first builds. Mine was a 59 Pontiac convertable, in 1959,,,,,the origional 3 in 1 kits. Hand painted yellow "details". All I had was a bottle of yellow. Most of it was left plastic white. Dont think I used any of the decals.

Looking to be a nice 58......

KennB

• 2 weeks later...

Well slowly tinkering forward on this old monster, so far I have all but blown by my original build time of 2 days. What is this day 50 Something? I don't really bother to count.

So what have I done so far, well she wears Paint (Duplicolor GM Cherry Red, and GM Off White) Clear and some BMF. The Wheels/Tires are complete and waiting for the car and I've got some of my engine work going.

Fresh from paint with her older sister.

GEDC0905.jpg

Her Motorvation, Air Cleaner is a parts box piece, thinking AMT '53 F100 Desoto Firedome, Painted the block Testors Acrylic Orange.

GEDC0911.jpg

Her Older sisters Plant, thinking Testors Red, Black and Silver Enamel bottle paint, and a lot of tube glue, Blower from AMT '65 Chevelle wagon?

GEDC0910.jpg

Slicks and Front Runners, Steelies Painted and cleared, Lug's and Dust/Grease caps painted, Valve stems added

GEDC0913.jpg

Some BMF Done, Lots more to do, then Polish her.

GEDC0917.jpg

Nick