Model Cars Magazine Forum

I just got "THE" holy grail.....

I just won an auction for "THE" center piece of my collection. Granted there are more valuable & harder to find models out there, but this is the one for me.

I just won an un-built, complete, in-da-box `68 Hurst Hemi Under Glass Barracuda. I'm sooo freakin' happy....8)

Congrats, John. I got Mine (grail) a few days ago. The Old '61 Buick special wagon. I guess patience pays 'cause the one I finally won wasn't even painte, so no stripping was needed. I can make up my mind what color to paint it. Kinda leaning to Chrysler Alpine Green Pearl with a white top!

Any suggestions will be considered though.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember that Palmer kit. Those were the first kits that I ever attempted. I spotted one my dad had stashed on top of the fridge one Saturday morning whilst foraging for the Frosted Flakes. Since I was already standing on the kitchen counter (the bowls were in the upper cupboards) it was a simple matter to knock the kit to the floor with the "kitchen" yardstick. By the time my parents got up, I was hooked on modeling. Those Palmer kits were a definate challenge to a 5 year old.

Glad to hear another grail is down. I am still searching for mine. I really want one of the ex-heller/protar/union Ferrari 512 S racers. I keep trying on the bay, but they tend to exceed my price. Glad to hear some one else's luck is better than mine.

A few weeks ago I scored an unbuilt `68 Hurst Hemi under Glass and was quiet happy about it. But this morning something happened.....

I was off today so I had the luxury of a cup of coffee in front of the computer. I have several searches I punch in to hunt for more ###### I don't really need. This morning I searched Hemi under Glass.

OriginalHUG-vi.jpg

I now have an ORIGINAL Hemi under Glass! I know this is a rather common kit in re-issue form, but.....it's the original AMT kit! Yeah, it cost STOOO-PID money....but did I mention it's an original?And my wife (God bless her....) gave me the thumbs-up when I spotted it this morning. She said "They ain't gettin cheaper or more availiable..."

No. She don't have any sister's. :wink:

Great score John!!

And you picked well in your choice of Amy as your wife!

Too bad she has no sister...........:wink: 8)

Thanks Bill! Amy is W-A-Y cool about my hobbies. It doesn't matter if it's a new guitar, vintage models, or Hot Rod parts, she's with me. But then again, we just discussed buying her a new `06 VW Rabbit the end of the summer to replace her knock-around car. I think that might have contributed to her good mood.... :wink:

I'm a lucky guy and I acknowledge my wife every chance I get.... 8)

John, congratulations on finding both grails is such a short time and on having an understanding wife. Not many are so fortunate.

I'm not trying to be nosy or anything, but I was wondering, since this is an original, will you build it eventually or just keep it as an investment.

John, congratulations on finding both grails is such a short time and on having an understanding wife. Not many are so fortunate.

I'm not trying to be nosy or anything, but I was wondering, since this is an original, will you build it eventually or just keep it as an investment.

Thanks Rick. My wife is definitely a great gal. While she doesn't necessarily understand the need for 4 guitars or 500 HP in my `Cuda, she does know it makes me happy. And I do my best to make her happy!

As for the model, I'll probably build the re-issue and save the original in my collection. I own a real `68 Barracuda 340-S and collect ANYTHING Barracuda related as far as the A Body versions are concerned. Not that there's anything wrong with the E body `Cuda's & Challengers, but they've become the belly-button car amongst the Mopar crowd. I prefer the originals. I have Hot Wheels...Johnny Lightnings.... Models....Promo's...Dealer Posters.... Brochures.... even a 1968 Chrysler Trouble Shooting Contest trophy with a `68 Barracuda on it. Everything & anything. PLUS the Hemi under Glass is my favorite Barracuda. Shoot...I have pictures on me sitting in the actual car out in Las Vegas!

Ergo my fetish.... :D

BTW: If all else goes sour in my life and I really need money, God forbid, I know I won't loose a dime on it. But that's NOT why I have it. I bought, not invested in, it.

Peace my brothers....musik04.gif