Model Cars Magazine Forum

A NON-AUTO diorama idea I've been kicking around.

Chuck Most

If you aren't familiar with the story of the SS American Star, a pretty complete history can be found here-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_America_(1940)

She was one of the last great American liners, and lived a long and storied history until her infamous final cruise in 1978. But she is perhaps most famous for wrecking 100 yards offshore in the Canary Islands in January 1994, after spending almost a decade and a half 'at the wall' after an aborted salvage attempt. She was under tow to Asia to be converted into a floating hotel when the tow lines parted, and she crashed into a sandbar. There she sat until just a few years ago, when the bow section finally collapsed and fell into the sea.

america-vi.jpg

This is perhaps the most well-known image of her, circa 2004. The severed stern section collapsed and sank in 1996, but is still visible in aerial photos of the wreck. Now the bow has collapsed and sunk as well. The hole along the keel was not caused by the collision- it was cut there by salvagers to prevent the wreck from floating free and becoming a navigation hazard.

A few photos illustrating the bow's deterioration

america3-vi.jpg

america4-vi.jpg

america5-vi.jpg

I'm thinking making the actual hull will be easy- the Revell or Glencoe SS United States looks like it can be modified into a pretty close duplicate of the SS America. Making the beach shouldn't be a huge challenge, but the one thing that's holding me back is duplicating the choppy surface of the ocean around the wreck.

Just wondering- has anyone else done a shipwreck diorama? I've seen quite a few dioramas of war ships in water, but never of anything close to shore- where the water is typically clearer and lighter. I've actually seen a model of the SS American Star wreck, but it was set on a wooden base, with no representation of water or the beach.

Oh, for those interested, there is a pretty good site dedicated to this ship, both as a wreck and during her heyday and decline-

http://ss-australis.com/

I'd agree that the SS United States would be a good place to start. All four or six liners built around that time look very similar.

I hope someone steps up to restore the SS United States before it suffers the same result. For all the ###### our government spends on stupid ######, restoring the great American ocean liner would be something I'd be proud to pay for with my taxes.

Edited by Swifster

Vallejo has a product called "Water Effects".

Do you have the styrene subject already in hand?

I"ve been looking into the water effects- I'll probably go with the Woodland Scenics stuff Mike mentioned earlier. The bugger will be learning to use it properly!

As far as the subject, no- but I think I can use the Revell or Glencoe kit of the SS United States. They were identical, and as far as the Revell and Glencoe kits go, I think they were both based off the old Ideal kit from 1954, so either kit should work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As far as the subject, no- but I think I can use the Revell or Glencoe kit of the SS United States. They were identical, and as far as the Revell and Glencoe kits go, I think they were both based off the old Ideal kit from 1954, so either kit should work.

wow .. bringing back memories! I remember building the United States ship in the '50's before AMT switched my gears to cars. My guess would be it was a Revell but those seas are pretty foggy now. :)

wow .. bringing back memories! I remember building the United States ship in the '50's before AMT switched my gears to cars. My guess would be it was a Revell but those seas are pretty foggy now. :)

Revell and Glencoe molded the same kit, but if I recall Ideal Toys made the kit first, and all three kits are the same tooling.