Model Cars Magazine Forum

My new paint booth

I wanted a booth that I could leave the fan on to vent fumes and have filtered air to avoid as much dust as possible while drying. 480cfm fan on reostat. room for 3 lights at 2000 lumen each. elevated working table allows for total downdraft around the entire model. air filtered going in when door closed and air filterd before going out. fan motor is out of the air stream. working area aprox 36w x 20d x 24h

_2411-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

_2417-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

_2415-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

_2418-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The fan I purchased at Grainger. It is a Dyson and cost around 150. The plexi was about 25. The wood depends on how big you make it. I used 1x3 and 1x2 for the box braces. I found a piece of plywood that seemed strong enough and was not too rough. The grate is found in the flourescent lighting panel section and is like 8 bucks. Over all cost is less than those metal premade units. It moves more air and is filtered when closed and much bigger. I can't wait to try it out.

that looks great.

the paasche units are nice, but expensive. i still use aerosol cans, it's flammable. so those units are not good for me to use.

so my question to you is, is your set up capable of using paints that are flammable?

that looks great.

the paasche units are nice, but expensive. i still use aerosol cans, it's flammable. so those units are not good for me to use.

so my question to you is, is your set up capable of using paints that are flammable?

The fan is out of the airstream in this unit which eliminates any possibility of fire. My last booth used a bathroom fan and I used it for 20 years and painted over 300 cars including all the primer et cetera. Supposedly the laquers solvents break down the windings allowing for a short and the fan catches on fire. I always had an extinguisher ready LOL. You don't get a high enough concentration of particulates to explode the air mixture. I suppose if your fan was really SPARKING and you sprayed directly on the winding you may be able to ignite but it would be difficult.

This setup I have now could only be beat if you used the airtight booths they keep the moon rocks in LOL.