Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

my dislexica

im sorry i was born with it ... there are more than 8 types i have 2 of them// example 1# a book pg 633... the soldier grabed his aluminum box and ran for cover ...later it reads.. the soldier grabed his ammunition box and ran for clover..thats funny ha ha 2# print a page on 2 clear sheets 1/2 on 1 sheet 1/2 on the other now move the 2 sheets and try to read it ..boy i git migrians .. i avold reading ... thank god for my franklin speller .... buy being here im working on it... i know i need improvement ..any body got a fix all pill .. i cant pro my cell phone..how ever i can pull strip rebuild a 13 speed roadranger in 1/2 the time the book calls for ... engines trans rears and put 200 hours in a super detailed 18 wheeler they looked good sorry no pics ..i have 20 1st place trophies for archery tounaments with 80 people shooting..i taught it ... there more but thats it for now...((((( time writeing this about 1hour 30 min))

Edited by mr cheap

I'm dyslexic as well, (tested & diagnosed many years ago), & I don't use it as an excuse. I'm not being mean or cruel, but with the different ways there are on the computer & online to improve your spelling, using dyslexia as an excuse for poor grammar, spelling & syntax is nothing more than a cop out. You can see from other people's articulate posts how to write more clearly & coherently, & that combined with the various spell check programs available means that anyone can improve their communication skills if they are willing to do so.

For example, typing like this; "how ever i can pull strip rebuild a 13 speed roadranger in 1/2 the time the book calls for ... engines trans rears and put 200 hours in a super detailed 18 wheeler they looked good sorry no pics .." simply can't be blamed on dyslexia. Use of proper capitals & punctuation are the basic foundations of grammar, & are something that anyone can & should learn & use. Poor & garbled syntax is from being lazy as much as it is from a learning disability, & using the learning disability as a crutch not only isn't valid, it's insulting to others with similar learning disabilities who do try to overcome them. There isn't any "fix all pill", but it is up to you to want to improve yourself in this area & stop leaning on your learning disability as a crutch, & you can do it.

I mentioned being dyslexic myself. Well, I'm a teacher, so not only did I do my best to overcome this, but I can see it on both sides of the coin because of that. If there are illiterate adults that can learn to read because they are willing to do so, (& I have tutored a few), then you can work to improve this aspect of your life if you are willing to. Trust me, I understand the struggles you've gone through, as I'm sure I went through many of them myself in school.

Communicatiion on sites like this is almost entirely based on the written medium, (besides any photos that might be posted), so while it's not imperative that we all write in precisely correct English, it is a good idea if we express ourselves in a manner that is legible, coherent & easily understood by others on the site. If we fail to do that then we are not communicating with each other here, it's as simple as that.

Again I'm not being mean or cruel, nor am I trying to attack you. I'm just telling you that I know better from my own experience, & using this as a crutch/excuse makes it look like you don't want to improve. Look into tutors that can help you. They are out there. Until then, take the time to look at how others construct their comments here, the way that they express themselves & learn from that. There are simple ways to start working on this if you are willing to. If you're willing to do these things & apply yourself the same way you said you've applied yourself in other areas, you can & will improve in your writing skills & abilities. That's the bottom line.

Remember; "A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step." Give it some thought.

Edited by Bob Turner

Unfortunateley the fix is not a simple as a pill. And there is no reason to be embarresed by how you are. We all have different strengths and abilities. I was born Dyslexic, dysgraphic, and with Asperger syndrome. The combinatition of the three lead my elementary school to assume I was retarded. I was basicly unable to read or write with any level of comprehension, and my social skills were lacking. I didn't really talk to anybody outside of my family for years unless they first initiated the conversation, and even then it made me very uncomfortable. It took years of intensive training all the way until I graduated High School to overcome this, but I did. with the exception of some OCD, and some social awkwardness, no one can tell that I was born any different from them. There are many very successful people who are dyslexic http://www.dyslexia.com/famous.htm This doesn't have to be something that holds you back.

I'm not intending to make fun of anyone's problem, so please take this in the spirit it was intended (humor)... this topic reminds me of a funny Groucho Marx quote:

What do you get if you cross an agnostic, an insomniac and a dyslexic?

A guy who stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog!

when i found this site 5 monuths ago i joined up to try agine // // im a work in progess at 58 // go figure // 1971 i also found my myself in the retarded class ..

Good point, we are all indeed "a work in progress" as long as we are alive. ;)

I have a feeling my dyslexia isn't as severe as your is which does make a difference, I understand that. Still, small strides towards improvement can result in big gains over time, like with building models. I'm sure your model building skills have improved as you've gone along, & as long as you are willing your written communication skills can improve as well. :)

I agree with Darin. I am OCD and it's actually been an asset. I get a lot of stuff done!

I have OCD as well, Cranky... I was diagnosed with it at 20 years old after a MAJOR struggle with deep depression (long story that I won't get into here).

I used to HAVE TO do things a "certain way" when I was a kid growing up... weird stuff like if I had an itch on one big toe, i just HAD to scratch the other one for an equal amount of time, or the volume on my stereo HAD to be set at an even number, etc.. I was also VERY particular about people being around my food, toothbrush, drinking glass and other things. I would NEVER drink from a cup that even my own mother had a sip from.

Once a Psychologist made me aware of my condition, I had a major ("A-HA!! That's why I was like that growing up!") moment. I still have problems with it here and there, but over time, now knowing it's "all in my head", forced myself and learned to control it better.

I agree with you to a point about it helping with models, but it's also a disadvantage for me sometimes... If something doesn't turn out the way I wanted it to, it REALLY bugs me! I can't even begin to count how many "1/4 built, 1/2 built, 3/4 built, etc.." models are sitting and collecting dust now because something didn't look right to me. I do, however, eventually figure something out (for most of 'em) and go back and finish them (or do a little more work until I run into the next problem! LOL).

Anyway, NOBODY is perfect and to be honest, I think that's a very good thing! I mean, c'mon, how boring would life be if everyone was? Think about it! ...Especially when it comes to this forum and our passion for building and sharing ideas.

Imagine (if we were all "perfect") someone posting pics of a model they built! The responses would be like - "I built that one."... or "I don't have that car yet." There wouldn't be any: "Nice job on the paint", "I like the way you built that chassis, it looks almost like the real thing!" or "How did you do that BMF around the side mouldings so nicely? I've been having trouble with that on the same kit.". Kinda weird to think about... In fact it's hurting my brain!! :blink:

It is amazing what people with dyslexia have accomplished! From back when people knew little about the condition!

One of those I know personally was a Vice President of a Fortune 500 Company.

But the one I know the best was a Captain in the Army when I was in. he was a Helicopter Pilot with the 1st Air Cav. and was a highly decorated one at that!

Having family members with the condition one can only be amazed at the work and determination it took to overcome it and go that far!

When you think of how many were shuffled off into Special Education in school rather than trying to get help for them it makes one think.

My hats off to all that deal with it every day and go on to achieve all they have! Present company especially included! B)

Look Enstien was a genius and I'm told he had a Dyslexic situation too.............. Ed Shaver

Einstein's Theory of Relativity... the bedrock of physics... has recently been proven false! :o Neutrinos were sent from a site in Switzerland to a site in Italy, and they traveled faster than the speed of light, which sort of blows a hole in Einstein's theory. And maybe revokes his "genius" card... :P

In that same spirit, did you hear about that new organization DAM, Mothers Against Dyslexia? :lol:

A guy walks into a bra...

:lol:

Einstein's Theory of Relativity... the bedrock of physics... has recently been proven false! :o Neutrinos were sent from a site in Switzerland to a site in Italy, and they traveled faster than the speed of light, which sort of blows a hole in Einstein's theory. And maybe revokes his "genius" card... :P

A guy walks into a bra...

:lol:

Speaking of the speed of light, I remember reading some studies a while back that proved it is NOT a constant. I can't remember which universities the studies were conducted, but they were able to slow it down...then slow it down some more... and eventually one university even got the light to STOP!! :huh:

Edit: Check it out here: http://news.harvard....-stoplight.html

Edited by Wayne Buck

I read about that experiment. It is far from disproving einstien's theory. The margin of error in the manner in which they measured the speed was too high to be called accurate, and the result has yet to be duplicated.

I read about that experiment. It is far from disproving einstien's theory. The margin of error in the manner in which they measured the speed was too high to be called accurate, and the result has yet to be duplicated.

True enough... so far it's too early to take back Einstein's genius card. But if it turns out to be true, a whole lotta science books are going to need some re-writing.

True enough... so far it's too early to take back Einstein's genius card. But if it turns out to be true, a whole lotta science books are going to need some re-writing.

Actually it's not. That Einstein was wrong has been a well established fact long before he came along. Ask any German scientist who became part of Operation Paperclip.

I think the very articulate posts by Darin Bastedo and Bob Turner prove that dyslexia can be overcome. As for the Albert Einstein part, this is from TIME magazine:

"Einstein was slow in learning how to speak. His parents even consulted a doctor. He also had a cheeky rebelliousness toward authority, which led one headmaster to expel him and another to amuse history by saying that he would never amount to much. But these traits helped make him a genius. His cocky contempt for authority led him to question conventional wisdom. His slow verbal development made him curious about ordinary things — such as space and time — that most adults take for granted. His father gave him a compass at age five, and he puzzled over the nature of a magnetic field for the rest of his life. And he tended to think in pictures rather than words."

Edited by sjordan2

I often wonder if many people who partake in singular and isolated activities that involve extended periods of intense and creative focus may be "blessed" with some level of Asburgers or autism. It seems that being uniquely or artistically talented is just as symptomatic to either of these conditions as are impaired learning and indifferent social intercourse.

Whats's OCD, BTW?

I often wonder if many people who partake in singular and isolated activities that involve extended periods of intense and creative focus may be "blessed" with some level of Asburgers or autism. It seems that being uniquely or artistically talented is just as symptomatic to either of these conditions as are impaired learning and indifferent social intercourse.

Whats's OCD, BTW?

OCD is obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Not to be confused with COD, which is a shipping term... or a species of fish... :lol:

It's "AsPERGERS," not "burgers."

Not trying to be a spelling Nazi, but the use of "burgers" in conjunction with two letters that are pronounced the same as a word that's a slang term for the posterior of the region of the body is just kinda nasty, dontcha think? :blink:

Spelling nazi alright...

In a time and day where people who have no known syndrome or disease are unable to properly copy the model designation of their car from the bloody bootlid (Camero, Escord, Le Saber, Fireflight, Volkswagon, Porche, Opal Record, I've seen those even in adverts), serious spelling bottom spanking is well in order, I give you that. If I'd have ever done that, my father would have given me a right old syndrome, that's for sure.

But people who openly state that they are dyslexic, or suffer from OCD, or any other impediment? No, man. That's like accusing the one legged man to use his disability as an excuse not to hillwalk. Bloody nonsense.

Mr. Cheap stated he is dyslexic, yet he makes an effort to communicate with us and entertain us and I find that very brave and commendable. In an online forum, where only the written word is seen, you come across like an idiot when you are dyslexic, despite you are the opposite and people would never guess you have an issue if they'd talk to you face to face or work with you.

Fair play to you Mr. Cheap! You have my respect, Sir.

And now please take each grammar mistake I have written apart. I use not being a native English speaker only as an excuse for my bad English.