Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gassers. All straight axle?

I would think that the jacked up front end with a solid axle is one of the defining features of a Gasser. I also have never seen one without this attribute.

I'm not saying there were no exceptions, but it would be neither characteristic, nor typical and would probably look downright wrong to me.

Edited by Junkman

Actually, many gassers ran modified or even stock front independent suspensions. The rules in the sixties also mandated a level stance at rest making the nose bleed front ends illegal for NHRA gasser classes. Having said that, these are model cars, build it the way you want it! I love straight axles and nose bleed front ends on gasser style cars.

The other percieved advantage to a straight axle was weight savings- losing the control arms, sway bar, and complicated steering linkages were seen as a bonus. But it is true that not all had a solid axle, I've seen some mean gasser-style cars with the stock IFS left intact, but jacked up.