Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the deal with 1:43 scale cars?

Because 1/43 is considered "collector's scale," produced by small companies in small quantities (and often in an intentionally limited series), and aimed squarely at adult builders and collectors. They are not "mass market" products like your typical '32 Ford or '57 Chevy. The small number of kits produced per subject means that the manufacturer can't distribute his investment over many thousands of models. Often a particular 1/43 kit will only sell a relative handful of copies... so kit price is going to be high.

It's sort of like the difference between buying a Big Mac and fries at McDonald's vs. having a gourmet meal at a fine French restaurant.

The explanation among some manufacturers and collectors in the '80s was that it was a popular scale among European collectors, because they lived in small houses and apartments which had limited space for collections of larger models. You can have a pretty big collection of 1:43 cars on a multi shelf wall unit or display case. This drove the selection of sometimes very obscure subjects, not to mention that nicely detailed 1:43 cars can be quite exquisite and jewell-like.

-MJS

If you read the magazine but have never looked at "Collector's Corner," I suggest you give it a try. You'll see just what a wide variety of oddball subject matter is available in 1/43... stuff that you'll NEVER, EVER see in a mass-produced 1/24-25 kit. In fact, a lot of cars you may never have even heard of or knew existed.

I kinda always figured it was because people could use the bodies on their 1/43 scale electric race tracks and have a model that would actually run down a track instead of just setting on a shelf. That's what I would be doing with them.

Size doesn't matter. The effort spent on making a model is the same, regardless of the size. The the only difference is the amount of raw materials per unit used, but that is only pennies in the overall calculation.

And as for prices - you can buy 1:43 scale models at any price. From dirt cheap to thousands.

The explanation among some manufacturers and collectors in the '80s was that it was a popular scale among European collectors, because they lived in small houses and apartments which had limited space for collections of larger models. You can have a pretty big collection of 1:43 cars on a multi shelf wall unit or display case. This drove the selection of sometimes very obscure subjects, not to mention that nicely detailed 1:43 cars can be quite exquisite and jewell-like.

-MJS

It has very little to do with the size of the houses.

It started with the diecast models produced since WWII (Corgi, Dinky, etc.) that were made to the scale of the 0 gauge railway. Those were initially intended to be toys, but they were quickly collected by adults. One thing led to the other and for the past 40 odd years the market simply exploded.

Yes, 1:43 scale might have it's origin in Europe, but it is collected worldwide.

I read Wayne Moyer's column in the mag regularly, and though he reviews all different scales of models, I have to say the well-done 1:43 models are very impressive. Many of them boast photo-etched trim and grilles and detailed interiors. Things like that are more or less expected on larger scale replicas, but they look even more eye-popping on the 1:43 scale cars. I have to say one of the few reasons I don't collect too many 1:43 replicas is cost- many can be around a bill or so to purchase, that and most of the ones I like already come assembled... where's the fun in that?

-MJS

When I lived in Brussels, the guy in the teeny efficiency apartment next to me had shelves full of 1:43 diecasts. This was his only real joy in life, and the 1:43 size was perfect for the availability of space.

I'm particularly fond of Minichamps 1:43rds....I've seen some of the Neo (American Excellence) brand ones that are pretty interesting also). Some of the Minichamps I have are subjects I've never seen in other scales (like a '69 Mercury Marauder).

Edited by Rob Hall

As Harry mentioned, rarity certainly is one of the hallmarks of 1:43 diecasts, and they often rival much larger models in detail and accuracy. This inexpensive ($30) IXO curbside model is the only depiction of a one-of-a-kind Mercedes SS, and the 1:1 has pretty much disappeared from public view. I was delighted when I found it, because it's the same car I intend to build from the 1:16 Revell/Minicraft/Entex kit, and - like many specialized 1:43 models - it confirms a lot about details on the 1:1 car, which they evidently had access to. IXO never answered my inquiry for further information. You can get diecasts with even more detail, nice engines and spot-on wire wheels, but then you're getting into $200+.

1-43IXOdiecastForstJPG_1copy.jpg

Picture1-4.png

Picture2-3.png

Edited by sjordan2

And this dapper chap:

Ross-Verlag-5578-1.jpg

was the first owner of the car.

Yup. I've got his biography. And here he is with it..

33SSCabForstincar-widercopy.gif

However, I wonder if the attribution of the gray car having been owned by Forst (identified as a 1933 model) is really the same car. The one above is a 1928 model. The Mercedes Classic Center couldn't verify anything about either one; they said they lost most of their prewar records in Allied bombing. Likewise, the photographer of the gray car told me he didn't know much about the car's background.

Edited by sjordan2

Here's an ultra-expensive 1:43 model of a T59 Bugatti. Note the piano wire wheels. This is also a replica of a one-of-a-kind car as it appeared in road-going form from the late 40s through the early 80s, and which was also a 1:18 Bburago diecast. My plan is to take the Bburago Grand Prix metal kit and make it accurate to the original.

1-43BUG_59_SPORT.jpg

T5959124postcardcopy.jpg