Model Cars Magazine Forum

Working front suspension, need your ideas

Okay, I'm currently working on the Revell's 64 Impala and I was thinking about making the suspension work, but I'm kinda out of ideas how to do it for front suspension.

The kit has separate frame and upper/lower A-arms. Well thats where my main problem is, springs and other stuff should be piece of cake but I'm struggling how to join the A-arms to the frame that arms could move up and down + no losing in detail + some strenght to handle the movement and not break every time.

I figured it kinda hard to make them exactly like 1:1 chevy A-arms work in such a small scale.

Anyone has ever done something like that? Would like some reference pictures.

I've done working front suspensions on several models...........basically what I did was to get a shop manual on that particular car and scale it down to what would be suitable for 1/25th scale.

Here are a few pics of what I did.........it'll be hard to go into detail in this format of how I did it simply because it will change from car to car.

I don't have any in progress pics of doing the suspension on some, as these were built before I got a digicam....................

P5010269-vi.jpg

P5110415-vi.jpg

57Corvettescan18-vi.jpg

Chassisviewfront-vi.jpg

P5050291-vi.jpg

Those that have seen these in person can vouch for the fact they they do work per the real car...........even the Daytona has working torsion bars that twist. ;) As I mentioned, a shop manual of the car you're working on might be the best way to go as you can get an idea where to make your pivot points------and to simplify things down without it looking too gimmicky.

Hope this helps! Anymore questions ask away............I'll try to help as best I can, but the memory's a little hazy now of step by step procedures as it's been years now since I've done a fully working suspension.

Wow thanks thats exactly what I was looking for!

One question: how did you attatch the hinges to the frame, they seem to be so tiny that need quite a structure to be .... uhm.... (excuse my english, not my home language)......strong enough that wont come off after few movements? Especially the first two pictures, they're similar to the 64 impala

Edited by Six-Fo

If I can remember correctly, I used styrene rod drilled through for an .020 metal rod to go through, sliced it to scale, liquid glued it------ and then let it dry on the frame thoroughly, then put a very small dab of super glue surrounding the joint.

Ten years later I can still flex the suspension and the frame works just as well as the day I built it. ;)

Yeah, I had a restoration book when I built that Daytona (in 2000! :o) the bolt holes were there as well as the alignment holes...........I just tried to duplicate it as best I could. ;) I learned something new as I didn't know that's how Mopar (and probably others) did the unibodied chassis---------makes sense though!

Edited by MrObsessive

If I can remember correctly, I used styrene rod drilled through for an .020 metal rod to go through, sliced it to scale, liquid glued it------ and then let it dry on the frame thoroughly, then put a very small dab of super glue surrounding the joint.

Ten years later I can still flex the suspension and the frame works just as well as the day I built it. ;)

Thank you very much for the advice! I'll see what I can do.

the problem with a working suspension other than complexity and durability is establishing a zero point for the model to stand at; springs have to be carefully chosen or hand-wound to suit the weight of the model and the level desired, or a hidden bumpstop to maintain proper height installed.

the problem with a working suspension other than complexity and durability is establishing a zero point for the model to stand at; springs have to be carefully chosen or hand-wound to suit the weight of the model and the level desired, or a hidden bumpstop to maintain proper height installed.

That wouldnt be a problem for me since I'm gonna use it on a lowrider build ;) . I'll make the system tight enough so I can raise the car up and down manually and the tightness of some components will handle the body weight.

One thing about working suspensions, is there (at least for me) was a LOT of trial and error to get it to look and function properly. You're doing a lowrider as you mentioned, and you have some leeway in which you can bypass certain functionality and appearance.

In my case, since I build pretty much replica stock............It has to look and appear pretty much just like you would see it on the street.

So just a fair warning------I hope you're a patient person as this can test your patience to the highest degree! :D

Mr. Obsessive that suspension looks top shelf. One question however. If you make the control arms adjustable, did you not have to build also some form of adjustable ball joints?

No, not really. The suspension doesn't really need to flex all that much to work unlike a 1:1........not to mention there's just not that much weight on the suspension as it is. We're talking about a few ounces perhaps relatively speaking? ;)

Thanks for the compliment!

One thing about working suspensions, is there (at least for me) was a LOT of trial and error to get it to look and function properly. You're doing a lowrider as you mentioned, and you have some leeway in which you can bypass certain functionality and appearance.

In my case, since I build pretty much replica stock............It has to look and appear pretty much just like you would see it on the street.

So just a fair warning------I hope you're a patient person as this can test your patience to the highest degree! :D

Yeah I've been building model kits for a while and now I'm kinda busy person(university) so i took my favorite kit and I thought I would make it as awesome as possible. I also told myself that the goal is not to get it finished in certain time, the goal will be ultimate detail and clean work(for my standards) so maybe it takes 5 years to complete this kit :D