Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galaxie Monogram Long John Dragster

Art Laski

Outstanding work! I love how you took such a simple kit and with some careful modifications and additions brought out the best in it, making it look more detailed than it really is. The nicely done painting and shading on the driver goes a long to add to the realism.

John basically took the words right out of my mouth. Superb work on such an old & sparsely detailed kit. You more than did it justice.

Art,how the heck did you get the decals to lay down,I had a heck of a time to get mine to lay down and lost my cool and skipped the kit decals and decaled my own version.Really sweet looking model by the way.

George,

Here's the deal on the decals. When I first applied them, they silvered real bad at the edges and on all of the clear spots. I hadn't trimmed them at all, so all of the edges looked terrible, as did most of the clear areas in the interior of the rear number and the pinstriping. So I stripped the decals off, which was a real chore because the white parts really stuck. I had to sand off the white residue and polish the body back up. Galaxie sent me another set of decals, so I thought I would try it again.

This time I trimmed them real tight and cut out the center of the numbers, but I took a chance on the area between the pin stripes. Sure enough, it happened again, but the only issue was between the pinstripes and the white graphic, and the edges, though trimmed, didn't stick too well. So what I did, and it was tedious, was I masked off all of the pinstripes and the white graphic, leaving just the area between exposed, and lightly airbrushed the orange body color in between there. The two coats of urethane clear over the top of them blended the edges in perfectly and made the whole decal look painted on. I was pleased with the result.

-Art

Edited by Art Laski

George,

So what I did, and it was tedious, was I masked off all of the pinstripes and the white graphic, leaving just the area between exposed, and lightly airbrushed the orange body color in between there. The two coats of urethane clear over the top of them blended the edges in perfectly and made the whole decal look painted on. I was pleased with the result.

-Art

:o :o :o :o

Edited by Batzilla

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Wow Art! Looking at your build inspired me to buy this kit off of eBay. Just got it today. I like what I found in the box. Nice and simple.

Two things confused me at first. One was the instruction sheet illustration showing a metal rear axle. There was no metal axle in the box. But, there was what looked like plastic axle on the tree. The written instructions cleared this up. It comes with a plastic rear axle, part #4. Second, I could not figure out what part #26, the "line guide" was? And there were two of them on the parts tree. Then it dawned on me that this kit was designed at time when it was still popular to motorize model cars and run them on a line. Looking at the bottom of the kit body, one can see were these would mount. I doubt I'm going to use them.

This kit was design way before the time I started building models. But, I remember seeing kits like these still around in the mid-60s and thinking they were kind of cool. It's going to be fun stepping back and build a little history. Seeing what the early days of our hobby looked like. Thanks to you Art for inspiring me to buy this kit. I hope mine turns out half as good as yours. And thanks to Revell-Mongram and Galaxie Limited for making this kit available. And also thanks to Modelhaus for making and supplying the very cool whitewall tires. Great job, everybody. Boy is this fun!

Edited by unclescott58

Wow Art! Looking at your build inspired me to buy this kit off of eBay. Just got it today. I like what I found in the box. Nice and simple.

Two things confused me at first. One was the instruction sheet illustration showing a metal rear axle. There was no metal axle in the box. But, there was what looked like plastic axle on the tree. The written instructions cleared this up. It comes with a plastic rear axle, part #4. Second, I could not figure out what part #26, the "line guide" was? And there were two of them on the parts tree. Then it dawned on me that this kit was designed at time when it was still popular to motorize model cars and run them on a line. Looking at the bottom of the kit body, one can see were these would mount. I doubt I'm going to use them.

This kit was design way before the time I started building models. But, I remember seeing kits like these still around in the mid-60s and thinking they were kind of cool. It's going to be fun stepping back and build a little history. Seeing what the early days of our hobby looked like. Thanks to you Art for inspiring me to buy this kit. I hope mine turns out half as good as yours. And thanks to Revell-Mongram and Galaxie Limited for making this kit available. And also thanks to Modelhaus for making and supplying the very cool whitewall tires. Great job, everybody. Boy is this fun!

Thanks for the kind comments, and glad I could inspire you. Best of luck on your build, and let's see pics!