Model Cars Magazine Forum

The twelve days of Christmas

This being my first visit to this thread, I feel like I got here a little late, but as they say....better late than never. First I want to thank everyone who has made me feel great over the years with the kind and thoughtful comments on my work. I know I always say that this hobby and my builds are for myself, and they are, but I really appreciate it when you guys respond to what I post here. I love it when you guys "get" what I attempt to do with my builds.

I know I get long winded with my posts and may come across like I am over doing it, but honestly, I enjoy this hobby so much that I make every effort to share my love of building and creating with my hands with others. I want anyone who sees my work to understand that to me it is more than a pile of styrene and lacquer. And that this is not just "kids" stuff. We all take this much more seriously than that. When I show my work to people outside of our community, they usually smile and say nice things, but it is clear that they just don't get it........I mean, that is fine, they certainly don't have to understand because they don't enjoy the hobby that we love.

It is funny sometimes, I may be at a client...and most all of my clients I would categorize as friends too, and if I have something "different" posted here on the forum I may have them log onto the site and take a look at the post. Without an exception they respond that I have way too much free time on my hands and that they could never ever get into something like this, and then they usually throw in the comment that I am crazy to do this. I'll ask them, ok, so what do you do at night when you are home? They usually respond that they watch TV or something like that. Well, I tell them I would rather exercise my mind and creative side than watch some mindless dribble on TV. Modeling relaxes me after a stressful day in the office or on the road going from client to client. I need the release.

The point of that is that most people out there don't understand or appreciate what we love to do. But not so in here.

The great thing about this forum is that it brings together so many talented modelers who all share the same passion and commitment to this hobby. It is wonderful to have so many talented modelers around us to serve as an inspiration, a sounding board and an affirmation of what WE love to do. No matter how accomplished or inexperienced any of us are, it is comforting to know that we are a group of guys who all enjoy, and sometimes hate (but for not very long) this hobby. We serve to support each other and inspire each other to reach higher and grow our skills.

There is an old saying, "It is impossible to sore like an Eagle when you are surrounded by Turkeys"....well none of us here can say that about this forum. We are all surrounded by world-class builders who gladly share their talents and skills with any of us....it is all here, just for the asking. I am sure, that most all of us have posted a build at sometime or another and it didn't get the response we hoped for. That is always going to happen, from time to time. But the bottom line is that if any of us make the effort to stretch out and push ourselves and grow as a builder, we will be rewarded with the adoration and praise of our peers, and to me, nothing in this hobby is more important than that. When a peer, a fellow modeler, finds my work as worthy of a positive comment I know I got it right.

So having said all of that, all I really wanted to say with this post is that we are all fortunate and blessed to have a great forum like this to share our hobby, our creations and our thoughts with some of the best in the business. Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Happy Kwanza and Happy New Year.......enjoy!

The point of that is that most people out there don't understand or appreciate what we love to do. But not so in here.

My sentiments exactly, Peter. This is why I -love- this site. I came here because I used to see my dad on here a lot when I go visit him and my mother- and every time he'd pull up something amazing. Building is in our blood, his dad builds, he builds, I build. And the wonderful thing is, you guys are always on the hunt for new eyecandy to set your gaze upon. Just like us. The sharing of our hard work almost effortlessly across the world from our very own workbenches is made possible through our little community. There's knowledge here too, most of it well worth its metaphorical weight in gold.

I have only been here for a short while, but I already feel like I belong here. I even found someone as addicted to rust, gunk, "gizmology"(as he would put it) and just all around awesome-ness as I am- Dr. Cranky. Heck, if it weren't for some of his comments on my posts, (as well as a few of you other guys' comments) I don't think I could enjoy doing the stuff I do as much as I do now. I do it for myself, yes- but I also do it to give you guys an alternate view of the world- how it's viewed through my eyes. Art for art's sake is fine, but with no one to share it with... well, you get the picture.

Anywho, before I get all sappy and long-winded, I'll end this by saying thank you to EVERYONE who makes our community here on MCM Forums unique and enjoyable, and here's to another year(and many more to come) of MCM!

Today I send a shout out about our own Doctor Cranky.

He has been as nice a guy as I have ever had the pleasure of speaking with online, and I only say online because that's the only way we've spoken. I'm sure he's just as cool in person. Even in the short time that I've been here, I've learned a lot from him. He and his work are definitely one of the high points here that make this forum enjoyable for me.

Thank you good Doctor, for your enthusiasm, your willingness to share everything, and your positive attitude.

Edited by Dave42

Todays' shoutout goes to all of the younger modelers (teenagers) who are enjoying this hobby as many of us did, but in a time before computers, cable TV, and video games. I applaud them for using their minds to create something that no video game or cable TV program can do and much like us older modelers, are looked at for playing with "toys".

Hopefully enough of them will continue this hobby and keep it going so that another generation can enjoy it like we have.

Today I'd like to mention Donn Yost.

I met him in person in March of this year at the first Buckeye Classic. Donn is an easily approachable guy. (I know because I approached him in the parking lot) I stood googly eyed as he answered my questions and shot the breeze with me and my wife several times over the course of the day. He showed an interest in what I was doing, what I was building, gave me suggestions and tips, everything.

I watched him take (as usual) the BIG trophies, and had a blast having "hung out" with him, and having had some of my work on the tables along side his.

I picked up the Airbrushing Show Quality Models DVD. It definitely improved my paint work, and I will be picking up the other.

Anyway, just a highlight in this hobby for me.

Thanks Donn, for being a grounded "regular" guy.

Edited by Dave42

Today's shout out is for those forum members who do resin casting and I have purchased their products this year. They had great service and great products and I will be buying from them again as they have stuff of interest for me.

I haven't used their products in any builds, but I'm a gonna!

Time for me to catch up with a couple more.

Firstly to Rommel for hanging in there and making it back. He "saved" me when I was really down on the "goings on" here at one time.

Secondly to another awe inspiring builder who was also missing in action and has returned. Mr. David "Dark Side of the Moon and Psychographic Genius" Gilmour. Doesn't think out of the box, he simply redesigned the box to suit his twisted needs.

More to come.....