Model Cars Magazine Forum

Top the Cop (The results are in!)+ pics

OK........gonna kinda put the cart before the horse......so to speak. I pitched this project I have at one of the school campuses that I provide Police security for a little over a year ago and am finally doing trucks to show here. The school is the last chance for struggling students that have gotten themselves behind in credits, either medically for some, or discipline reasons, or the occasional pregnant teen. :blink:

The way the contest works is like this....I build a model. (its cool, I build for work :D ) they in turn build one also to try and beat mine. Therefore "Top the Cop" . The students must hold only a passing grade (these aren't the next astro physicists you know :rolleyes: ) and no discipline referral to ISS. (in school suspension). I in turn provide the kits, the prizes, the trophies, and the judges. (and yes, they are unbiased and have no idea which one is mine. We list by a number.) The reason for all this? I got behind on building mine and there is no time for WIP pics :angry: . So, I decided here at almost 1:00 a.m. and paint drying that I would put in a feeder of the WIP and show all of the kits on the post after the judging this Friday. I was actually surprised to have 8 students excited to build semi's too :lol: .

BTW, many many thanks to Dennis (Cowboy Sevens) half of the Revell kits came via his generous donation. The playing field is set up very similar to IROC racing. We all have a 1/25th Revell kit. Some are the Pete, and others are the KW W-900 Aero.

Oh....I have the KWhopper for mine.

Wish me Luck

We are on track. Clear coat is drying while I am at work. Should assemble this evening for the final pcs. Judging will be at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow. Prizes will presented at approx. 2:30 TX time. I should have most if not all of the pics posted by 10:00 p.m.

BTW....paint came out awesome. (at least I think so anyway) I suppose that would officially be all that matters. ;)

Major update tomorrow.

Edited by txdieseldog

OK......had the judging this morning. I still have top honors! And in case you are wondering...yes I am trying to win and put as much detail in mine to see if I can get one of these kids to step and really give me a run for the money. :D Was up till 4:00 a.m. for final touches though. Feel like a walking zombie. :wacko: Rewards will be in about 30 minutes (3:30 TX)and as mentioned many pics tonight for update.

OK as promised....plenty of pics. Mine was judged best of show. Removed all tabs that push through, filled in the slots for the interior and floor board mount tabs, and yes the CAT yellow is official. A buddy used to work at the CAT house and he gave me a gallon about 10 yrs ago. Sprays nasty though, the print for the special type of thinner mentioned has faded. Due to picture limits here, this may be in more than one post. Enjoy!!

Mine: Turquoise and yellow/red stripe (N.M. colors-home state)

ToptheCop2Winter2011025.jpg

ToptheCop2Winter2011019.jpg

ToptheCop2Winter2011023.jpg

ToptheCop2Winter2011020.jpg

ToptheCop2Winter2011019.jpg

Great idea, great program!!

I presume all or most of these are first-time builders. If so, you just may have ignited an interest in them other than non-productive activities, electronic games or general anti-social pursuits. Good for you!!

Let us know how the next one goes, too!

B)

I've seen some really great, professional models on this forum and i have to say, I find myself coming back and looking at he work done by these kids more than any other page. Barry, these kids have some real talent...I think your support and inspiration has opened up a new world to them! well done.

brinx

Thanks Mike. I hadn't built a complete model in probably 15 yrs when I started this last year. So, it has been an awesome inspiration and boost for me as well. I hope I can sustain the program with the donations and breaks Hobby Lobby throws at me for many years.

I keep hoping one of them will actually "Top" mine. We'll see.

Thank you, Barry, for sharing these pics with us. You have done a great job on your KW, which is very nice, but also an awesome job with the kids. Their builds are cool. Would be nice if they stuck with the hobby. I wish them best of luck. And my hat off to you.

Jarda

Barry, I think NASCAR would make an excellent subject as the possibilities are endless (both real and fake teams).

I hope if you do go that way, you'll let those of us that only visit the truck forums...love to see what these kids come up with next.

brinx

• 3 weeks later...