Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Dodge Charger R/T build.

Shelbytona

Started working on a Revell '69 Dodge Charger R/T. Its going to be a stock build... Metallic brown, black vinyl top, white interior and a white stripe just like one of my Dads friends car he bought new.

Got the Motor assembled and painted hemi orange. The wheels are also detailed and finished.

1dcdf361.jpg

bd613b78.jpg

cd2acaa9.jpg

Thanks, I tried something new and used testers one coat lacquer on this model.. didn't like how it sprayed, so i don't plan on using it again.. they have cheap nozzles and it sprays out like rock guard compared to tamiya paints. I was to lazy to spray it with the airbrush.

Heres the body wet sanded and polished in testers root beer, which looks close enough to the original metallic brown (colour is a lot lighter in person, my camera sucks) Headliner in antique white (didn't want to use pure white on the interior) and the headliner in tamiya semi-gloss airbrushed on. still have to wax, BMF it and add the decals, probably start on it later on today.

96994d5b.jpg

61caac9b.jpg

0809d486.jpg

CIMG4119.jpg

That is sweet! Very clean foiling job and just the right texture on the top. I'm going to have to give this polishing thing a try. What's your method?

Thanks! This model actually has the vinyl top already, so it was already textured! I hate doing BMF! haha. I use detail masters paper (3200,3600,4000,6000,8000,12000 grit) and its practically polished after 12000grit. I then take some meguires cut polish to bring out the shine, then wax (not waxed yet) Just be sure to clear your model if its metallic/pearl colour, or it will wreck the paint when you go to wetsand it. pastel colours don't need clear to wetsand/polish.

Edited by Shelbytona

Outstanding work!

Really nice job!

Thanks!

I decided to change the build a little bit... i got a pic of the car from the mid/late 70's. i'm gonna built it like the pic, I've already got the rear steel rims and driving lights from my stash of parts. I just have to round up some slot rims for the front and make some shackles to jack the rear leaf springs up like in the pic.

Here's the rear stripe put on... once it dries i'll blackwash the truck seam.

991436a5.jpg

0c8cba56.jpg

345027bc.jpg

Thanks for all the compliments!

Here's the slot rims i got coming for the front, and here is a picture of one of the rear spring shackle extensions i built, since you can see them hanging down in the back of the car, on some of the pics i got... i'll probably redo them in a slightly narrower material, so it looks more in scale. this one was more of a test one. any ideas on something to simulate a bolt for the rear shackles?

f11ccc8b.jpg

5Slots31.jpg

Edited by Shelbytona