Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 POST APOCALYPSE/ZOMBIE HUNTER COMMUNITY BUILD

Dr. Cranky

No stop signs, speed limits, nobody's gonna slow us down,coz I'm on the Highway to Hell!!!!!!! Doc, ya gotta be blasting that song from AC/DC while you build it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Slow going on the DEAD, coz I'm also building a Willy' Jeep for this thread!!! Will have pics soon ;)

alright i started working on mine.

i'm going to call this genre a scout or reconnaisance type of vehicle.

it's a 92 mercury cougar.

aftermarket stuff include animal print decals from scale motorsport, some brass tubing, clear styrene, styrene rods and pattern styrene sheets so far.

i started with the spikes in the front with some toothpicks

DSC03476.jpg

DSC03480.jpg

i used the brass tubing to create the scope along with styrene tube to help create a mount. i used clear green styrene to form the lens on the front. i figure that in the future, they wouldn't have precision cut lenses, so i made it look like a piece of glass that was slapped on.

DSC03479.jpg

DSC03478.jpg

i then cut out an off-center hole in the roof to place the scope. it's off center on purpose as i plan on having a hatch in such a way where it'd line up with the user's right eye. i will also be putting in an arm rest kind of deal on it. I know that to make this scope functional it will require the use of modifying the interior extensively. so be it! that'll be soon enough once i get the body work done. i also drilled out some holes for some antennas.

DSC03481.jpg

more pics coming

i took one of the mounting tubes and cut it in half to create a mounting bracket to the mount, and some more brass tubing to replicate the idea that the scope can be adjusted vertically. it is inanimate, and won't move. but you can see through the scope!!

DSC03483.jpg

and the body mocked up with the current progress.

DSC03482.jpg

DSC03484.jpg

enjoy!

All the builds are looking great! Love the creativity. I haven't started on the Galaxium build yet, but have been searching out parts and pieces and probably have an idea for at least a second build, too, as I came up with an idea while searching out parts in the stash! I promised myself I'd finish a pair of 1/32 Batmobiles that are on the bench first. Keep the inspiration coming!

Virgil - the Highway looks great! What did you use for the billboard lights? I've been looking for something like those for my garage diorama.

Oh-oh, Ken, now you are playing with fire. That looks like a Merc is about to get sick and Zombified! :lol:

Oops. There was a Merc too close!

Introduced to the "prickle ball" in my dremel style tool.

P1000567-vi.jpg

Some gentle applications of heat to "stablize" the plastic, then three coats of paint - rust colored primer, gum grey, then to top it off a top layer of burgundy. One was careful to not sand down the rough primer spots between coats, or to propperly cover the grey with the top coat.

P1000569-vi.jpg

Followed by some careful sanding to ensure a nice smooth finish.

P1000571-vi.jpg

Turned up a distributer, then spent a few hours trying to work out what the hell powers this thing, so I could locate where the spark plugs were. Eventually discovered it is a Cadillac 309 CID. That gave me a photo that clued me into where the @$#$% spark plugs were hiding.

The one thing that really fouled me up today was when I went to grab a supercharger, I found I had none. Not one @$#$% super charger in any of the kits I bought over the last couple of weeks, apart from the one in my other build. So now I have to wait for stuff to get delivered!

002.jpg

001-1.jpg

Here is what I've been building.The engine and chassis are from an Enzo kit.The rims are from an RX7 kit and the tires are from a jeep kit.The driver and seat are from a NASCAR kit.I'm going to have to scratch build the body.The engine will run on corn whiskey,easier to make and find than gas.

All the builds are looking great! Love the creativity. I haven't started on the Galaxium build yet, but have been searching out parts and pieces and probably have an idea for at least a second build, too, as I came up with an idea while searching out parts in the stash! I promised myself I'd finish a pair of 1/32 Batmobiles that are on the bench first. Keep the inspiration coming!

Virgil - the Highway looks great! What did you use for the billboard lights? I've been looking for something like those for my garage diorama.

Tony, I found them at the crafts store. They are either ear ring or lapel pin backs. Thanks, buddy.

Mark, Ken, and G, those vehicles are looking fabulous. I love the way the CARAVAN is filling out with all sorts and types of vehicles. That's what it's all about.

Keep these Zombie Hunters going.

Steven, and that's a great thing. See, while you guys keep building these great vehicles, I keep visualizing the CARAVAN line stretching down my driveway from the garage to the mail box, which is about 25 yards or so.

I really want to learn to fly an RC helicopter so that I can put a camera on it and take some aerial views of the caravan!

Steven, and that's a great thing. See, while you guys keep building these great vehicles, I keep visualizing the CARAVAN line stretching down my driveway from the garage to the mail box, which is about 25 yards or so.

I really want to learn to fly an RC helicopter so that I can put a camera on it and take some aerial views of the caravan!

were gonna need a longer diorama ^-^ ;)

tony here is a link to the lights

http://www.scenesunl...om/diorama.html

Neal, THANK YOU for sharing this. Great place for dio details, that's for sure. There's also lots of goodies at Scale Equipment LTD.

were gonna need a longer diorama ^-^ ;)

LOL, I figured that out the second day this thread got going.

Sorry, no pictures, but I did start putting stuff together...lol

I have to go really slow because I will end up with crooked parts and a "glue bomb" as you guys call it.

I did start to cut the wood to make the pickup truck bed though. Glued down the hood, and started the assembly of the bed.

Not much, but hey, it's a start!