Model Cars Magazine Forum

UK modellers i think i have the castrol super clean alternative !

Been lokking for ages for the purple wonder over here in the uk ! and just cannot obtain it !

But good news (i think!) i have come across a bike degeaser ! which is purple and seems to be working !

Results after one day soaking a charger body = the decals started to lossen !

after two days all the humbrol enamels on the inside (satin black 85 ) came off !

after 4 days clear acrylic (halfords spray cans) seems to be lossening (giving access to the decals and colours underneath,

is a week now and the red and metallic blue acrylic (halfords spray cans) seems to be softening !

But the original silver metallic acrylic (halfords spray cans) still seems to be untouched in most places, !!?

Is this the sort of results you guys would exspect in the U/S with super clean ?

going to leave it another week now!

Not sure whether you tried it yet, but I have used thick bleach for years and it has served me very well for both - enamels and automotive paints.

I buy it at Aldi, 2 litres for 3 quid or so. You must make sure that you use a really air tight plastic container though, like genuine Tupperware. If the container isn't peoperly sealed, the bleach very quickly loses its bite.

How do you use IPA?

Edited by Junkman

Not sure whether you tried it yet, but I have used thick bleach for years and it has served me very well for both - enamels and automotive paints.

I buy it at Aldi, 2 litres for 3 quid or so. You must make sure that you use a really air tight plastic container though, like genuine Tupperware. If the container isn't peoperly sealed, the bleach very quickly loses its bite.

How do you use IPA?

I use bleech to strip the paint off die-cast models, leave them soak for about an hour and the rinse in warm water and off comes the paint...

I use bleech to strip the paint off die-cast models, leave them soak for about an hour and the rinse in warm water and off comes the paint...

Diecasts I just boil in water. Takes the paint off within half an hour, no mess, no nothing.

I knew it was hard to get some things in the UK, but I did not know it was hard to get Isopropyl alcohol in the UK

Gosh, don't get me started. That Health and Safety Gestapo sure went a tree too far. Isopropyl alcohol is available though, as it was mentioned before, they sell it on Ebay.

Edited by Junkman

Guest Johnny

Diecasts I just boil in water. Takes the paint off within half an hour, no mess, no nothing.

Hope you don't test to see if it's done by throwing it at the wall to see if it sticks! :lol:

How do you use IPA?

I only use it for stripping Halfords paint & primer. If it's recent paint, it'll wipe off with IPA on a paper towel. Otherwise, it might need to soak for a day or two (in a closed container, obviously). That'll soften it, but then you still need to scrub it - it won't flake off like enamel. The Fairy stuff works much better on enamel.

Edited by dodgefever