Model Cars Magazine Forum

as far as the headlights go, i always drill them out and replace them with lenses. i usually put BMF on the back of the lenses, but next time im going to try to make buckets with bulbs.check out my 442 build and you can see how it looks if you drill out the molded lights.

To make molded in headlights appear more realistic, I use Sharpies. Put one tiny black dot directly in the middle. Use green and follow the bottom curve making athin line not quite halfway up. QUICKLY wipe it upward with your finger. Repeat with blue for the top. It gives the illusion of reflecting grass from the bottom and sky from the top. Other colors can be used on the bottom for different settings(yellow works well any time) but I Always use blue on top. Practice with non-permanent markers to get the feel.

To make molded in headlights appear more realistic, I use Sharpies. Put one tiny black dot directly in the middle. Use green and follow the bottom curve making athin line not quite halfway up. QUICKLY wipe it upward with your finger. Repeat with blue for the top. It gives the illusion of reflecting grass from the bottom and sky from the top. Other colors can be used on the bottom for different settings(yellow works well any time) but I Always use blue on top. Practice with non-permanent markers to get the feel. Sounds interesting might have to give it a try as I don't have a set of drill bits .

• 3 months later...

Wells it's been a wile guys but things picked up with this again. I decided to go with the standard long bed thanks to chris.I got most of the frame done istill got a little fiIling left to do . got some question for you guys.1. what would be a good power plant for this? . 2.I filed in the the rear roll pan and the tail gate upright lines . Is should I fill in the recesed area of the tailgate.ed0152c7.jpg 3.What style wheels. Would look good on this 15" Steel wheels ,the stock LRE rims or some sort of 20"s?6348bf2e.jpg

2a4f6a1e.jpgcd703be9.jpgf6cf91a4.jpg

Edited by hotrod59f100

I think I'd probably fill the top recess above the tail lights, and leave the one between. Since the truck is basically a shaved stock truck, a lot of mods to the tailgate wouldn't really fit the look. A blank filled tailgate will leave a big area of nothing there, and end up looking like a generic truck. Almost all modern pickup trucks have a smooth tailgate with little character.

If I did fill the tailgate, I'd probably carry the character line that runs around the wheel wells and under the tail lights around to and across the tailgate. Maybe add an angled sunken license plate to the tailgate, just to make it interestinger.

I would definitely not go with any 15s; they look undersized. These trucks have good size wheel wells, and need large modern wheels to fill them.

Just my two cents. Nice job so far. I really like the look of the truck in your first post. I'm looking forward to seeing it done, however you do it.

Edited by SSNJim

I thought the same about filling in the tailgating it would look generic. Thanks for the 2cents that's why i asked in the first place. I may go with the wheels from my first post . The bed in the fist post was just a bad resin casting. So I end up trading for a orig long bed.