Model Cars Magazine Forum

EYE-POPPING & MILLIONS OF DOLLARS LATER

The Miniatur Wunderland (MiWuLa) in Hamburg is the private company of two brothers, Gerrit and Frederik Braun.

They started it in Summer 2000 simply with a bank credit (they aren't rich). It is financed via the admission fees, a bistro, and donations (my father is a contributor).

It is also sponsored by various model railway and component manufacturers, many of which being located in Germany and Austria. They use the Miwula as a showcase for their products.

From the onset, it was to be the biggest indoor H0 gauge model railway layout in the world and hasn't been surpassed so far. There are further extension plans and the layout is scheduled to be finalized in 2020.

Not one penny of tax money has been spent on the Miwula so far.

If you go to the website you can find all of the background information on the creation of this setup. There is a wealth of information listed such as all of the technology that this group has created on their own over the years simply because it didn't exist beforehand. There are many more videos on the site including a few videos taken from the viewpoint of the front of the train so you get the feeling that you have been shrunk down and are in the layout. It's beyond cool.

My wife and I are celebrating our anniversary this year with a trip to Europe in October and this will be a stop on our trip.

Wow, Christian, much appreciated. It just goes to show what you can do with love and passion! Your father should be very proud to have helped out.

All you have to do is live your dream.

Yeah, dad is some kind of celebrity when it comes to railways. He has been into railways from childhood on and he took it much further than the 'ordinary' hobbyist would. His lifetime achievements are a truly massive archive on locomotives and rolling stock, and an enourmous model collection.

Often authors of books on railways call on his archive for their research.

We lived in Munich throughout the Seventies and Eighties, so that's where I grew up. When West Germany phased out steam traction in the mid-Seventies, dad would often take me to a 'farewell service', which was the last service with steam traction on a particlular line. Believe it or not, but I thus learned, and would still be able to drive a steam locomotive.

The WORLD was in Germany for these events at the time. Railway buffs from all over Europe, America, Japan, and god knows where. Dad became friendly with a group from England and before long, we had the likes of Rod Steward and Pete Waterman rummaging through his model collection and archive in our home. Talk about childhood memories.

Somewhen in the Seventies, dad was nominated a honourable member of the model railway club of the employees of the German Federal Railways. To this day, he is the only member of the club, that has never been a railway employee. Since he is retired, he is presiding the club and this is where the connection to the Miwula comes in. The model railway club of the German Federal Railways' employees is naturally a contributor. This doesn't mean that my father doesn't make donations out of his own bank account, too. A clear case of ski (spending the kids' inheritance).

My father is also a very good modeller. I managed to snatch a few built Kitmaster kits from him when I moved out. They are still with me and I should post pictures actually.

It has a downside too. Being such a railway buff, he never approved of my passion for cars. We frequently locked horns when I accumulated 'wrecks' in the back garden when I still lived with my parents. And I never really told my parents about my car racing exploits. They celebrate their golden anniversary this year, so maybe it's time to tell them.

Edited by Junkman

That's gotta be the most amazing scale model anything I've ever seen. It's so completely over-the-top cool, I can't even think of a good way to describe it. It's definitely something you have to see in person to fully appreciate.

Unbelievably cool! B)

It was from the onset itended to be a thing that out-everythings everything hitherto seen in this métier. What you see is cutting edge technology. The whole thing is fully computerized and they can operate 800 (yes, eight-hundred) trains simultaneously. And they run them to schedule, like in the real world.

ok, I have a few questions. I think someone else mentioned this already... but I don't see any cover over this. The video says it's 1,300 sq. meters. How do they keep it clean? How do they keep dust off?

Also, if something breaks down in the middle of the layout somewhere, how do they get to the spot and fix it? There's no way a person has enough room to walk onto the layout without crushing parts of it... so how do they have access to the interior parts of the layout?

ok, I have a few questions. I think someone else mentioned this already... but I don't see any cover over this. The video says it's 1,300 sq. meters. How do they keep it clean? How do they keep dust off?

Also, if something breaks down in the middle of the layout somewhere, how do they get to the spot and fix it? There's no way a person has enough room to walk onto the layout without crushing parts of it... so how do they have access to the interior parts of the layout?

The staff keeps it clean. They are dusting every day.

If something breaks down, there are hidden access tunnels, so they can reach every spot. Those are also used for maintenance.

OMG!! ya can't get away from the cops Even in the scale world.. :o

That is amazing work.

Cars move with out looking like a slot car track :o

WOW!!!

Thanks for sharing..

The moving vehicles are all controlled with magnetics. The ships on the water are also controlled the same way. No radio controllers here.

• 2 weeks later...