Model Cars Magazine Forum

Richard Petty's 1964 Belvedere

Scottnkat

I've been a fan of Richard Petty since I was a kid. I used to build models as a kid then quit. Last year I had an accident that really messed me up. My wife started buying me models to build my dexterity and strength up again as I could barely use my hands. After a while, I got better and finally decided to tackle this car. It's based on the Lindberg kit. It has working hood pins and the sponsor decals are based on the car as it was at Daytona that year. It's not an exact representation of that car on that day, but I am happy with how it came out.

P1020632a.jpg

P1020633a.jpg

P1020634a.jpg

And the car in it's case ready to be displayed in its display case:

P1020635a.jpg

Finally, some underhood shots:

P1020625a.jpg

P1020624a.jpg

Forgive the color quality - the car is actually a bit lighter blue than it shows in the these pics and the walls and shelf are really white and not yellow like that. I am hoping to get a new camera with the income tax return this year.

Edited by Scottnkat

Thanks for the comments, guys. I figured that since this was my first post in the Under Glass section, people wouldn't know about the recovery I'd been through so that's why I explained a little bit. When I first started, I couldn't even hold the parts in my hands, much less do any trimming or anything. It's taken a while to get here, but I am finally able to do something that I feel good about without excuses.

Yep, Bart - that's the plan - gotta do the Charger, Satellite, Roadrunner - heck, even the Barracuda. I'll get to them eventually. Just gotta take a break for a bit right now due to finances, but there will be more.

and thanks for the compliments, everyone!!

Wow - thanks for the comments, everyone. Both my physical therapist and my surgeon were surprised by the amount of movement and dexterity I've been able to get back in my hands (one hand/wrist combo back to almost 100%, the other not quite so much but still much better than it was). When my wife told them that it was because of model building, they both commented to her that it was a good idea and that they were going to start suggesting that to each of their patients with the same damage I received.