Model Cars Magazine Forum

About how many unbuilt kits do you have in your stash...?

Hey man, I have around 200 now I had about 600 18 months ago before my divorce :angry:

And Bob who cares if it's been asked before man, I'm only fairly new to this site and I haven't seen any topics like this man. I love seeing how bad "MOST" of us have got it lol..I'm sure we are more collectors then builders man hahaha

Question - are models a good investment? If your careful where you buy and how much you spend, models can be a decent investment? They are relatively quick to liquidate for small amounts of cash - just throw them on the auction block. Some kits will probably never be reissued, so until our computers start printing out replicas, they will retain or increas in value. It probably beat the NYSE for the last couple years. I have been fortunate and made more selling than I paid for a lot of kits. I guess I won't sell the ones I paid too much for.

i have enuff that anytime i start digging in them i come up with kits i didnt know i had (or in a couple cases, kits i would have sworn i had never seen before!)

I'd ditto that..

Of course I do forget if I do have something, get an urge to build it and pick up one.

Probably cheaper than the first one I got ;)

It really makes it hard to trade model for model.

Can't think of anything I need but the new ones coming out.

The Moebius BatTumbler and Chrysler 300 comes to mind tho. ;):D

Edited by RodneyBad

According to my inventory I have 326 models. Out of that: 40 of them are built, 22 of them are built-ups from a lot I purchased and will be rebuilt eventually, and the rest are either unbuilt (the majority) or in progress. So, approximately 264 unbuilt kits.

And more on the way! :D

I just did an inventory with the purpose of organizing them so I could find what i wanted when i needed it.......that's my story and I'm sticking to it :lol: ......I have about 400 unbuilt kits located in at lelast 3 different rooms. Used to go to the Ertl factory outlet in Dyersville, IA about 3 times a year. Never left there without dropping between $50 and $100 :blink: . I swear I had plans for all of them when I bought them! Can't remember what those plan were any more, but I swear I plan on building them all...at least that is what I tell my wife. Bless her she never complains and I can't say anything when she spends money on things she likes.

I only have about 65 complete, unbuilt kits at the moment, plus 8 or 10 partials, and maybe half a dozen builts that I really like. Of the 65, roughly 20 of those are '29, '30, and '31 Ford Woody kits I'm hoping to use for a Community Challenge Build this Summer.