Model Cars Magazine Forum

Slixx decals

That is horrible news.

I use their decals all the time.

This will really kill many of my planned builds as I just do not have the funds to buy up a large stock pile of Decals.

I wonder what caused this, them seem to do a good deal of sales with in the hobby and I read speed city and other resin casters had tie ins with Slixx.

Very sad indeed.

WHAT??????????????????????????????? NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!! NO way man!!! Now what?? I can't believe that! Slixx is the BEST aftermarket decals EVER!! I hope somebody picks up after that! Oh man, what a bummer!! Gene & Becky are the coolest, I wish them all the luck in whatever is next for them!! Dang-it! :( :( :(

care to explain a bit more as to why you say they "stink"?

Maybe the problem lies with the printer. Slixx didn't print them, probably MicroScale did. And sometimes there are bad batches. Cracking too easily is one common issue. But as far as I know, Slixx always made good on replacements when they were contacted, and the sheet was still available.

I wonder why?

Poor sales? Personal reasons?

I always thought that Slixx was the 800 pound gorilla of aftermarket decals. When the big gun goes out of business, you have to wonder why...

Harry, you may have hit on part of it being poor sales. I've been in several hobby shops that have boxes of Slixx decals, almos always marked down on clearance. It seems most of them are for Nascar or NHRA race cars, usually for the lesser known drivers/teams. I beleive in this case, it's more of overproducing of a slow/non moving product.

Wow. That's bad news. Oh, well. Life goes on ...

I'll be fine as long as Chimneyville, Roadblockers, and Bill Bozo don't stop production ... oh, wait.

Too late.

At least we still have inexpensive new ALPS printers and ink cartridges at Wal-Mart and every local office supply store.

Oooops. My bad.

Yikes! Maybe life won't go on ...

:(

Edited by Danno

I too am sorry to hear it. I love their early Gasser decals their rat rod ones too.

I've been thinking of getting into the aftermarket decals, but this might be an indication for not doing so . . . it's a very expensive process as you all know, and then you have to have good distribution and good word of mouth, and if that doesn't seem to cut it, then it's best not to get started.

Yes, I agree with everyone, this really isn't good news. I don't build cars that need lots of decals but I did just buy a sheet of their vintage tire markings. As Dr Cranky stated, the decal business isn't easy. I can only imagine what they have to deal with for licensing, etc. then artwork then printing, distribution...

Their decals will be missed.

Harry, you may have hit on part of it being poor sales. I've been in several hobby shops that have boxes of Slixx decals, almos always marked down on clearance. It seems most of them are for Nascar or NHRA race cars, usually for the lesser known drivers/teams. I beleive in this case, it's more of overproducing of a slow/non moving product.

You might be onto something there, actually.

The last hobby shop in my area that carried Slixx decals was selling them for what amounted to a 60% discount off list price for many years- just before he closed up shop (it was kind of an 'evenings and weekends' operation for the owner, not his main income source) he was giving them away with a model kit purchase,and from what I hear, toward the end he was just plain giving them away. He had quite a few 'outdated' sets. Last time I was in there I bought a Revell Dodge Intrepid stock car kit, and he let me have the Slixx sheet for the #22 Cat Diesel car for free with the kit.

His theory was this- since many of the current sheets were for NASCAR racers, and those cars change schemes and livery so often, it made the existing sheets obsolete fairly quickly, and the product just hung around on his shelves because nobody wanted to model a car with an obsolete graphics scheme. He said he'd quit ordering new sheets several years before- all he had in stock the whole time I shopped there were leftover stock from previous years.

Edited by Chuck Most

You might be onto something there, actually.

The last hobby shop in my area that carried Slixx decals was selling them for what amounted to a 60% discount off list price for many years- just before he closed up shop (it was kind of an 'evenings and weekends' operation for the owner, not his main income source) he was giving them away with a model kit purchase,and from what I hear, toward the end he was just plain giving them away. He had quite a few 'outdated' sets. Last time I was in there I bought a Revell Dodge Intrepid stock car kit, and he let me have the Slixx sheet for the #22 Cat Diesel car for free with the kit.

His theory was this- since many of the current sheets were for NASCAR racers, and those cars change schemes and livery so often, it made the existing sheets obsolete fairly quickly, and the product just hung around on his shelves because nobody wanted to model a car with an obsolete graphics scheme. He said he'd quit ordering new sheets several years before- all he had in stock the whole time I shopped there were leftover stock from previous years.

That, I would imagine, will probably prove to be the primary reason. Sometimes one can diversify oneself right out of the market.

B)

Maybe they're closing up because they've been doing this for the last 19 years. From what I can see just about everyone uses Slixx decals, they're fantastic quality and the price is reasonable. I'd even pay a few buck more per sheet if that would keep them in business.

Edited by Evil Appetite