Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Olds 442 - Paint done

Bluzboy66

This is my SECOND attempt at painting the '66 Olds 442. The first body is soaking in brake fluid as we speak, following a clearcoat mishap.

Basecoat is Pure Ice "All Nighter" nail polish ($2 @ Wal-Mart), and topcoat is Napa/Martin Senour CrossFire 2-part urethane. I'll be using Testors Black Vinyl Top system for the roof.

Any ideas on wheels and tires?? I may just use the kit supplied Rallys, and a set of redlines, but......??

Thanks for looking!,

Mike

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

First, my compliments on that color! Reminds me of the GM Firemist colors that were in use at the time. What did you use for primer under the nail polish?

As for wheels and tires, how 'bout the textured 5-spokes from Revell's '32 Ford and some white letter tires. Use Tamiya XF-66 acrylic on the spokes etc as seen below.

69_Camaro_Garage-06-m.jpg

Boardmember Felix Plaza "The Cat" built this Camaro & used a similar, although peakier, version of the wheel I recommended. Ignore all other wheel advice you'll receive on this. Cragars and steelies with dog dishes are waaayyyyy overdone. ;)

I'm going to follow your build to see how you get the vinyl top material to wrap around the tunnelback portion of the roof.

Thanks Monty. I dig the color as well. It's tough to pick a hot color that doesn't look too 'toyish' on the larger bodied cars. So I use some of the more 'sophisticated' fine metallics in shades that resemble the factory colors of the era.

I hear ya on the wheels. I like the big-and-littles in the '32 Ford kits, and I agree - they'll look great on this 442. But I've used them on quite a few builds, and I'm hoping to step (slightly) outside the box on this one. I'll keep a set of the 5-spokes handy as a plan 'B'.

Thanks again!,

Mike

By the way, here's another big-bodied car I built this past year, the '66 Impala, using those wheels you recommended. I also used Pure Ice nail polish and urethane clear on this one.....

66Impala17.jpg

66Impala47.jpg

Edited by Bluzboy66

Realy outstanding colors on both cars. Wheels can be very personal, and change the look of a car from one style to another. Maybe some of the late model Camaro type wheels or some wires. All depends on the "look" you're going for. I realy like that Olds.

Wayne, I'd considered leaving the vinyl top off, but after looking at loads on pics on the net, the Olds just seemed to look a little odd without it. While I'm not a big fan of vinyl tops, in general, the Testors vinyl top paint system is very convincing, and I'm looking forward to applying it to this car.

Mike

Edited by Bluzboy66

Wayne, I'd considered leaving the vinyl top off, but after looking at loads on pics on the net, the Olds just seemed to look a little odd without it. While I'm not a big fan of vinyl tops, in general, the Testors vinyl top paint system is very convincing, and I'm looking forward to applying it to this car.

Mike

Mike, that Impala is very impressive too. As you said earlier, some colors can make these cars look toyish. Fortunately, you've got a good eye for hues that resemble authentic GM colors. Thanks for listing the names of the nail polishes you used.

WOW!!!!!! beautiful color on that olds cant wait to see the finished product :D

Mike (among others) has shown that nail polish finishes can look authentic and spectacular, while costing a fraction of what we're paying for hobby paints. I've got the Lindberg '67 442 on my to-do shelf, and I'm waiting to see how his vinyl top turns out.

Edited by Monty