Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airfix 1932 Chrysler Imperial

GeeBee

Geoff, I assume your using the UK version of Easy Off oven cleaner to take off the varnish? Thats what I use to remove chrome

It's actually Fairy Powerspray, it's not an over cleaner, but for cleaning pots and pans that need a good clean, over there it's called Dawn Power Dissolver,

fairy-power-spray-brand-fairy-375g.jpg

DawnPowerdissolver.jpg

Very nice! Looks a lot like the old MPC kit tooling.

It is a re-boxed MPC kit,

Not a great done since stripping the chrome off all the shiney bits, I still need to cut them off the sprue and prime, gloss black and Alclad them, but when I first built this kit 34 years ago I remember I ended up with wonky headlamps, as the headlamp bowls fix to arms molded into the radiator grill, and both being chrome, didn't glue very well back then, well things will be a bit different on this model, as it will not have wonky headlamps, or wonky anything, so before they get there Alclad I decided the headlamp bowls would be fixed to the radiator before any paint went near them, but I needed to make sure they lined up perfectly, now the front of the radiator has a slight angle to it, and the headlamps have to line up with the rear of the radiator, as this is the part that is plumb, so I had to figure a way to do this, I then came up with the idea of fixing the radiator to a block of wood, and as the base of the rad' goes past the front crossmember of the chassis, I had to raise the block it was fixed to slightly, I simply raised it on a block of balsa wood, fixed the headlamps with liquid cement and left them to dry with a metal set square holding the bowls perfectly square and perpendicular to the rear of the radiator ...

FrontGrilleinJig2-vi.jpg

Left to dry for a day, and then it could be test fitted against the chassis, body and bonnet, it lined up perfectly as planned,

FrontGrilletestfitted1-vi.jpg

FrontGrilletestfitted2-vi.jpg

It can now be painted using Alclad chrome ...

This is coming out real nice. It's good to see a classic being built stock. I almost always strip the kit chrome and alclad. I think it looks more to scale with the alclad finish. To me the chrome parts in the kit give a more toy like appearance. Keep up the great work.

Ken

I don't know how I actually built this kit the first time around, but I couldn't have followed the instructions to the letter, I have been getting the chrome parts ready for there coat of Alclad and have been doing some dry fitting, had a quick look at the instructions ...

Instructionsforwindsheildframe1.jpg

and it seems that the windsheild frame needs to be glued to the bonnet ??? really ?? ur NO !!!

it goes in the body tub and is held in place by the interior tub,

Windscreenframetestfitted2.jpg

Windscreenframetestfitted1.jpg

Who write's these instructions ???

Got the Alclad done this morning, the parts were first primed with Hycote grey plastic primer, flatted down then airbrushed in gloss black, this time for the black base I used some very old Testors gloss black enamel thinned with lacquer thinners,

PartsPaintedglossblack1.jpg

Alclad4.jpg

Alclad5.jpg

Alclad1.jpg

I was going to mask up the rear seat and airbrush the side panels, but that would have been a real PITA, and to be honest, it really won't be seen, the detail, i.e door handles can't be picked out in silver, as the detail is so fine, so it got brush painted in Humbrol tan, and the floor was painted in a contrasting colour, when the front seat has been fixed into place, most of the floor won't be seen, so I'm not going to get out the flocking, the front part of the floor was airbrushed, as I didn't want to cover up the detail molded in the floor.

The engine cylinder head was brush painted in humbrol # 19, and the engine block got a covering of Tamiya clear, as the Createx paint is easy to rub off without a clearcoat to protect it, it still needs a few parts fitting on, and the inlet manifold and gearbox painting in metallic gunmetal/silver.

Interiorpainted2.jpg

Enginepaintedandclearcoated.jpg

Been feeling a bit off colour the last few days, but I managed to spend today in the hobby room, got the whitewall inserts fitted, these were molded in white, but a few broke as they were being removed from the sprue, so they had to be glued together, filled and painted flat white, they were fitted to the tyres with a few dab's of superglue, also masked up and airbrushed the gearbox, I haven't been able to find many good photo's of the engine & gearbox of this car on the internet, so I'm really just working on what colours I think the parts should be, I also got to fix in the panels that fit into the front grill,

Whitewallsfitted2.jpg

Frontgrillewithpanelsfitted.jpg

Enginebuiltup4.jpg

Enginebuiltup1.jpg

Got a little bit more done this morning, I was up early, as the post man was banging on my door with the Fujimi Porsche I won off eBay, got the spare wheel carriers polished, and got the wheel halves fitted into them, they will be assembled later, got the engine into the chassis frame, plus fitted the exhaust and got the front wheels fitted,

Sparewheelcarrierspolished.jpg

Sparewheelsgluedtorims.jpg

Wheelfittedsetwithsetsquare.jpg

EngineGearboxinchassisframe.jpg

Got a little bit more done today, painted the running boards flat black, which would have been made of rubber on the real thing and got one side down in BMF, also got the front floor panel finished,

Runningboards1-vi.jpg

Frontfloor-vi.jpg

Need to modify the rear lights, as they were part of the chrome sprue, which I stripped ready to Alclad, but I don't want to just paint the ends red, so they need drilling out slightly, so I can alclad them, then mix up some clear resin and add some red food dye to replicate the red lenses, also the front horns should look a little more like trumpets, so they will need drilling and grinding out before getting painted in Alclad, I've come this far, and I'm not going to spare the detail now ...

Rear Lights

Rearlightbeforemod-vi.jpg

Horns

Hornsbeforemod-vi.jpg