Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chunky Diamond Dust?

I would say try a different nozzle, Rob thanks, is that on grey primer?

No I used Tamiya white primer on both cars. I was trying to get both cars painted the other day while we had a nice warm sunny day and just used the the same can in hand. I would have used Tamiya grey on it other wise.

What you don't see in these shots is the diamond dust itself. It has a real fine metallic look to it just like diamond dust. It is a great color and I must say great paint as well. I don't try and do the car in one coat. I follow the same procedure of 2 - 3 light mist coats with about 15 min. in between coats. Then I do the wet coat which gives it a nice shine. The car on the left is painted with Tamiya pure white. I am really happy with the outcome on both cars.

I buy it 6 cans at a time...a favorite base for HOK kandys. If it is cold and too close you might get that, and it it shrinks with a dehydrator sounds like way too much bu why?

thats a good question, I'm gonna call Testors Corp tomorrow and see if anyone else has reported this.

I've had that happen a few times too on some colors, was there any moisture or residue on the body prior to the coat of diamond dust? I believe that may be your problem judging by the pic. I've had bad batches of paint where the mixture wasn't correct and etc., but never this.

Wouldnt be moisture as the room itself is dry, and the body was in my dehydrator up until I painted.

Tried again today...looks a hell of alot better. Again warmed both body and can in dehumidifier, shook the can really well and did a couple of light mist coats before applying one final wet coat. Mist coats were fine...but during the wet coat a few chunks did appear. I did notice though, the chunk wasnt there after i applied the paint...it appeared a few seconds after, like a slowly rising bubble. it wasnt dust in the air either, that I can be sure of. but whatever, I'm satisfied...i'll just knock down the few rough areas there are and reapply in those areas.

Now, if only i can force myself, to take the time to learn how to use my camera so i can take better pictures!

DSCF0116.jpg

Edited by Evil Appetite

Quote "I did notice though, the chunk wasnt there after i applied the paint...it appeared a few seconds after, like a slowly rising bubble." To me, what you noticed might indicate a reaction between the paint and the surface. Was there a primer coat? If only bare plastic, did you wash it first to get rid of any possible mold release agent residue? Just curious as I have bought a couple of cans of Testors one coats, but have yet to use them.

Quote "I did notice though, the chunk wasnt there after i applied the paint...it appeared a few seconds after, like a slowly rising bubble." To me, what you noticed might indicate a reaction between the paint and the surface. Was there a primer coat? If only bare plastic, did you wash it first to get rid of any possible mold release agent residue? Just curious as I have bought a couple of cans of Testors one coats, but have yet to use them.

I sprayed that on the previous coat of Diamond Dust...which was layed over a coat of my typical Plasti-coat primer

I'm also a very satisfied One-coat customer. I've never seen anything like that, though I have managed to put down some paint that would have an orange calling it cousin.

I have a couple of ideas --

First, don't put the body in the dehydrator. Lacquer paint dries plenty fast on its own. The warm body may be driving the solvent out too quickly.

I've also seen the gas used to pressurize the spray can stay dissolved in the paint long enough to bubble up on the surface of the model. The paint needs to stay liquid long enough for the bubbles to reach the surface.